Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to make a request of the membership here.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to make a request of the membership here.

I want to make a request of the membership here.

Please don't put us in an awkward situation regarding our jobs as moderators here.

All of us here are forum members, just like everyone else here. This means we have friends here, folks we've connected with, people we talk to off-board, etc.

It's really, really hard sometimes to be unbiased and fair, especially when we're friends with someone we have to deal with as mods, or when we agree with something that should have not gotten said here. We're human. But we try very hard to be fair and unbiased.

I'm asking you all as friends and as fellow members of this board we love: Please don't ask us to abuse our moderator status by granting you special treatment. That's not cool. That's no different from your friends walking into your place of business and asking to be hooked up with free stuff.

In a nutshell. it's sucky.

You put us in an awkward and impossible situation when you do that. We do everything by consensus here, and it's not like any one of us can decide to let you break the rules "because we are friends with you." We can't do that. Literally, we CAN'T do that, and it's wrong to even ask.

It's happened to me. I don't appreciate being put in that position. I'm sad because now someone I like very much has decided to stop talking to me over something so trivial. I'm angry at being blamed for something out of my control.

And yes, I'm hurt that someone put me in an impossible situation, and then blew me off when I couldn't deliver. And they did it, ironically, because they considered me "a friend."

As for the rest of you, please think before you ask someone for a special favor you know damn well you're not entitled to. Be it here or elsewhere, that is what Sucky Customers do. So don't.

Thanks for listening,
    Kink

Well, I know the specific incident in this post wasn't me, so I'm glad of that. And I understand that you can't tell us who it was, Kinkoid.

I still wish I knew. I'd like to add said person to my personal ignore list here and IRL. That is not at all acceptable behavior.

Comment

I echo what pedersen said. And sadly, I find it eerily reminiscent of all the SC threads where the EWs of note scream "don't you know who I am?!" And demand special favors, by sheer virtue of who they are, and who they know.

I like to think I'm friendly with some mods. I'd like to think I'm actually friends with other mods. I in no way see why that would make it acceptable to expect special favors or treatment. I find that more than a little reprehensible, and like Pedersen, would only want to know who, so I could avoid association.

Kinkoid, I'm sorry this happened to you. You're definitely worth far more than simply someone for free favors, and the gall to claim it in the name of "friendship" is almost extra hurtful. I'm sorry, there are things I will ask my friends, but if they tell me they can't, as a friend I respect that.

I still think you're awesome, and love your way with words, for whatever that's worth.

Comment

I agree with Lupo and Pedersen, that was a seriously dick move. Whoever you are, you aught to be ashamed of yourself.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Well, thank you all very much (and no, Pedersen, you're right, it's not you. ) for your kind words. But while it's very flattering and nice that you're all so quick to stand up for me (and thank you for that), I'm not trying to turn this into a witch hunt, or to bash on anyone. And I would not want this person shunned anyways.

Honestly, I am sure there was no malice involved. Just a lack of thinking things through, really. People get mad and they don't think sometimes. We're all guilty of it.

All I"m saying is to try to remember that there's a real live person behind all these screen names. And also try to remember that the person trying to referee a problem is essentially trying to stave off hard feelings among friends.

Trying to play ref among your friends is not a fun or easy job. We've all been there. We're not trying to take sides here. We're just trying to help everyone get along on the playground. All I want is for everyone to remember not to take it personally if a moderator can't make things go in your favor. Even if you consider them a friend. Especially if you consider them a friend.

Comment

darn there goes my master plan

Just kidding!

I know what position you're in...I'm in a similar one elsewhere and have had people try to get me to do stuff for them cause they thought they were my friend. Didn't happen and now we don't talk. It's hard I know.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The fact that you even have to post this says more about the person who attempted it than anything.
              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Wow. One can't escape the awfulness of human behavior even here, can they? I am sorry you had to go through that.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Ok.

I will not "ask [you] to abuse [your] moderator status by granting [me] special treatment."

The fact that I can't even think of any favors a mod might grant me should make this a pretty easy vow to keep.

Sorry 'bout the awkward situation.

And lovin' the new avatar. Consider 'muppetplucker' stolen.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Ok.

I will not "ask [you] to abuse [your] moderator status by granting [me] special treatment."

The fact that I can't even think of any favors a mod might grant me should make this a pretty easy vow to keep.

Sorry 'bout the awkward situation.

And lovin' the new avatar. Consider 'muppetplucker' stolen.
                    I can. I've seen a few threads where members didn't agree; generally they don't get heated but I can think of at least one member I'd like to strangle (which probably has nothing to do with what Kinkoid is talking about, by the way).

Personality conflicts happen. It's human nature. Generally speaking, the members here follow rules of polite behavior very well, but that is all thanks to the moderators who do a difficult job very, very well.

Sorry this happened, Kinkoid. I know you're not talking about me . . . and you never will.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I cannot take credit for "Muppetplucker". That's Raps. The original graphic I made had a bit more...rugged...language in it. I showed it to just the mods, we giggled about it a little, and then I changed it to what you see now at Rap's request when I turned it into an avatar pic.

Comment

Panacea wanting to strangle me is nothing to be ashamed of, many many people share that desire. If a line was formed, it would go from Madison Square Garden..to the Hollywood Sign.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

They'll have to get past me first....

Sorry to hear about this, RK. That kind of thing sucks wherever it happens.
                          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Oh man - you foiled my evil scheme.

Sorry you had to go through that RK.
                            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I'm sorry someone decided to make your difficult job even harder, RK. For what it's worth, IMNSHO, all you mods here do a tremendous job.

Comment

Working...
                              X