This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four more hours to go!

*sighs* Not quite four hours into my shift and I already have a list!

- What goes up, must get broken.

The elevator broke. Again. Second time in as many weeks. At least this time I didn't break down into a crying fit; this time I was mad. The guys from the fire department were the same ones that arrived last weekend and said that if they have to be called again they're going to send the city inspector out. I told them to go ahead, I just work here. They laughed. Semi-Yay, semi-boo because the inspector can shut down the hotel.

Preggers M and I both think that K should shut down the hotel for one week and take the time to fix EVERYTHING. Hell, I don't mind being out of work for a week; it's fine by me. It'll cost a lot but it would be worth it in the long run. The Main AC unit for the lobby is still broken. It is now 87 degrees in the lobby, only slightly cooler inside then outside.

Some guy was so pissed off about the elevator being stuck, he got all up in one of the fire guy's face, screaming at him and cursing. They were just waiting for the guy to touch him so they could arrest him since it's a felony to touch a fireman (so they tell me, I wouldn't know and had patted the big guy's belly seconds before being told).

Only one person cursed at me and Preggers M. I got mad and told him that I know he was upset, but if he couldn't speak to me in a civil manner I would kick him out. He tucked his tail between his legs and backed down.

By the time my boss got here, the fire guys were gone and the technicion for the elevator was half done. Gee, talk about swift. He spoke to a few people and disappeared again. I'm not sure were he is now.

- I want my MTV.

The cable connect in one of my rooms is broken too. We thought it was a TV problem and swapped out the television. Nope, the new TV doesn't work either. So I checked the cable room and discover that not only is that room not getting any cable at all, but we're missing a bunch of channels. A technision will be out Monday morning.

- Wrong number.

So I answer the phone with what sounds like cantonese spilling out of the phone line. I told the caller that I didn't speak chinese. Another minute of babling and the caller asks if I speak german? "Spreken ze Douch, Nine. I'm sorry." In broken english, he replies with a phone number. I tell him it's the wrong number and recite mine back. He laughs, thanks me and hangs up. Nice guy.

- Cleaning up the mess.

My boss was irritated after talking to someone in the group and went through the front desk telling me and preggers M that it was messy (no it wasn't) and rambling on and on about nothing. So I spent an hour and a half taking signs and messages down and storing everything in a notebook marked "Various Services." This incudes the elevator company's number, car services, the number for coca-cola (to refill our machines), nearby hotel numbers and now a Do Not Rent List. My desk is a bit cleaner now but I still have a ways to go before it's perfect (to me). Very soon I'll be adding discount website policies (like Priceline and Expedia) because people keep bitching about how "I book a room for two! Why does it cost extra to get a room with two beds?!"
    I also have a picture of a fake travelers Cheque that was passed around to all the neighboring hotels. Nifty shit.
    Tomorrow I might add a list of local pizza and sandwich shops that deliver (quiznos now delivers).
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
    I wouldn't know and had patted the big guy's belly seconds before being told).
    You Buddah'd a fireman? Do you get extra luck?

Dear God, what a Murphy shift you are having! I hope it gets better, or at least quieter soon!

You mean two beds shouldn't cost more than one? Darn.

Comment

I don't think it's a full moon tonight, but you're certainly having the lunar ill luck! Hope the next four hours go by quickly and with little mishap!

Comment

Good call on the organizing, EQ!

and I sympathize about wanting to close the hotel up for at least a couple days, here. And it was only built in 2000! lol
        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

"Sprechen Sie Deutsche, Nien. I'm sorry."
          there fixed that...

though on an unrelated note... I just noticed I have a guest in house who apparently is named "renter, cash" ... hmm, methinks one of my coworkers didn't follow proper check in procedures
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

"Sprechen ze Deutsch, Nein. I'm sorry."
            Fixed again, because the German word for "no" is "nein", pronounced "nine" like EQ said.

BTW, "I'm sorry" in German is "Es tut mir leid."

Thus endeth the German lesson from a 6-year German student who is still recovering from his last 3.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I bet I send people to your hotel. ><

I would totally Buddha a fireman. Or a cop. Not a paramedic though, they bite.

Comment

Buddha-ing a fireman is so cute and I have cop buddy's that would let me.

I dunno if you sent people to my hotel, GK. We rarely get any reservations from the call center unless they are points members. We can't give a walk-in customer a room for free by using their points, only the call center people can do that.

And thank you Irv for fixing my german. I can speak it pretty decently but when it comes to spelling? Forget it. I need to just pick a language and learn it rather then learning a few phrases in a few languages.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I dunno if you sent people to my hotel, GK. We rarely get any reservations from the call center unless they are points members. We can't give a walk-in customer a room for free by using their points, only the call center people can do that.
                  Well we only deal with stranded airline passengers. But we do work in Houston.

Comment

GK's avatar isn't a kitty now? Why not? Not that I mind seeing the Azumanga Daioh... it just seems out of place.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      GK's avatar isn't a kitty now? Why not? Not that I mind seeing the Azumanga Daioh... it just seems out of place.
                      Actually it was Azumanga Daioh a long long time ago before the long run of kitties. But the 39kb size restriction on animated gifs eliminates 90% of the ones I have, kitty or otherwise. -.-

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        I thought that's what it was but couldn't think of the anime! I love the teachers.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          there fixed that...

though on an unrelated note... I just noticed I have a guest in house who apparently is named "renter, cash" ... hmm, methinks one of my coworkers didn't follow proper check in procedures
                          I wouldn't bet on it. I did an obituary for a "Cash Register" not long ago.

Not only that, he was "Cash Register III" and had a little "Cash Register IV" in his survivors list.
                          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

*Only one person cursed at me and Preggers M. I got mad and told him that I know he was upset, but if he couldn't speak to me in a civil manner I would kick him out. He tucked his tail between his legs and backed down.
                            Well played!

There should be a global law that anyone who curses at a service worker (unprovoked) especially a pregnant one, should be summarily threatened in the same way.
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                              Actually it was Azumanga Daioh a long long time ago before the long run of kitties. But the 39kb size restriction on animated gifs eliminates 90% of the ones I have, kitty or otherwise. -.-
                              Try now.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X