This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth protege View Post
    I guess I don't understand just why you'd want to associate with the losing side
    For some people (not myself), there is a certain pride that a bunch of rag-tag hillbillies came that close to defeating a well-organized, well-supplied Federal army. Personally, I don't agree with flying the Stars & Bars at Federal buildings but I can understand why some like to fly it - as I said earlier, to many it's a symbol of state's rights.

There's a lot..a LOT I would really like to say, but that's for Fratching.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
      For some people (not myself), there is a certain pride that a bunch of rag-tag hillbillies
      Huh? Did they forget that the south had quite a few decent cities back then, or that the north had large swaths of agricultural (hick) area? The only real logical argument I can see is that the north outnumbered the south about 5:2.

came that close to defeating a well-organized,
      Huh, again? The south had Lee. One talented general lasted the entire war, plus he had a number of skilled assistants. The north had Scott, McDowel, McClellan, Bunside, Hooker, Meade, and finally Grant.

well-supplied Federal army.
      ... debatable (we're talking about military... supplies weren't always where they were supposed to be, and not every soldier went into war fully prepped for it.) However, assuming that they're talking about the higher industrial capabilities and distribution systems, then it's distinctly true.

Comment

I've lived in New Jersey, Missouri and Arkansas and I have to tell you there are different kinds of racism.

In New Jersey and Missouri people of different backgrounds and races and beliefs are forced to live near each other. You can't escape the ___ (insert type of people here), we don;t like them.

A more dangerous type of racism is like what i found in Arkansas. When i told people i had been to a Bar Mitsvah (there were NO Jewish people i knew of in the part of Arkansas where i lived) people looked at me like i had just told them i took a vacation on the moon.

Oh and Gurndigarn, after Antietam the Confederacy didn't stand much of a chance. The South had their share of crappy generals too. The North won that war with one hand tied behind its back.

I think to some the Confederate flag just represents a lifestyle or heritage. But to others its a symbol of one of the greatest crimes against humanity.

Comment

Quoth Getoutofmylobby View Post
          A more dangerous type of racism is like what i found in Arkansas. When i told people i had been to a Bar Mitsvah (there were NO Jewish people i knew of in the part of Arkansas where i lived) people looked at me like i had just told them i took a vacation on the moon.
          How is that dangerous? It's ignorant, sure. But as you said, there aren't a lot of Jewish people in that area, so most people may not have heard of a Bar/Bat Mitsvah. I've had to explain my fair share of Southern/redneck/hillbilly traditions to my Northern/Midwestern friends, but I don't consider that dangerous. Instead of taking offense that they don't know what it is, use the opportunity to say "This is how we do things".

Now there IS plenty of racism, sexism, and xenophobia in Arkansas, that I'll grant you. By and large, it's a result of ignorance rather than hatred.

Quite frankly, I've seen much more dangerous racist attitudes here in the big city than I did back home.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I remember a very popular show in the 70's-80s, where the Confederate battle flag was displayed(Dukes of hazzard) and there was not one instance of racism. When they decided to make a movie, there was a major hue and cry over that flag being in the movie.

Times change, but ignorance does not.
            I did not sell my soul to Satan. He does have a long term lease with the option to buy.

Comment

It really probably was a Benny. They are such rude people. I'd prefer people from PA, but they all go to the South Jersey beaches. The Benny's in my area are so obnoxious. They must leave! Go away!

In general, there I haven't noticed much racism in my area. Everyone gets along and there really isn't any racism-based crime.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

There has been some discussion here about the display of the Confederate flag.

I think a lot of people who display the Confederate flag do so for the wrong reasons, and display the wrong flag to boot. The flag seen most often is the Battle Flag. This was only one of the over 180 separate Confederate military battle flags. This is flag most often used by the people being discussed here. The Battle Flag is not the Stars and Bars.

The true Confederate flags are the three national flags: The Stars and Bars, the Stainless Banner, and the Third National.

If you see someone display one of the national flags, then they probably actually know something about their heritage and history, and might be part of a re-enactment group.

Most people these days don't seem to know about the Confederate National Flags, and with the 150th annivesary of the US Civil War coming up, I thought I would try to enlighten those who didn't know about them.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                X