This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Because We're [Insert Race]???

All those stories of closing time suckage reminded me of this tale I have from when I was a Hostess for local Italian restaurant & lounge.

It was on a Sunday and the owner, V was out at the hospital with his wife due to his MIL having a broken hip. As usual, it was a slow night and it was just me, M &E the two waiters, T the bartender and little V (no relation) the busboy. It was incredibly slow and M decided to call V and close early for the night and got V's approval for it, once the last table was done. That last table was a white couple who was finishing their main course was waiting for their dessert and tab.

All night I kept getting calls from this same person asking about when we close, and I didn't realize that the same person (who was black) was the one that showed up 15 minutes after the kitchen started closing up shop after the white couple got their dessert. That same person came in with a group of 8 people. I explained to them that the kitchen closed over 10 minutes ago and that they won't be able to be served. The woman wasn't having it, so I explained to her ad nauseum, until M came out. He explained to her what happened with our boss and also again that the kitchen was closed. The little girl in the group sees the white couple eating their last course and says "How come they're eating?". We told her that they were the last ones that came in before we closed. Then the mom goes with the ever popular question pulled from the deck of race cards "Is it because we're black?" M and I tell her no. She and her group walk out. Our co-workers got a good laugh out of it, and our boss when we told him about it the next day.
    Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 07-11-2008, 05:19 PM.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

I've never had someone pull the race card on me but I'm pretty sure the only response I'd be able to muster would be a heavy sigh, a massive eye roll, and the line, "Oh please, grow up, would you?"

Comment

I once had the race card pulled on me when I wouldn't go out with some random guy who stopped me on the street.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Oh, AC, DO tell!
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

It's always about race.

Hey, when I'm looking for a new job, can I accuse the places that don't hire me that it's because I'm (part) Irish?
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Only works if you're part Martian.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Wow. Looks like we have a new generation of race card users.
              "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

My friend, Jason, (we call him Black Jason to separate him from Fat Jason, Hairy Jason, and my little brother Jason) once asked me out on a date right after a break up. I really wasn't that interested so I said no. "What, a brother can't get some lovin from a beautiful white woman?" And dear lord if my mouth didn't open before my brain kicked in: "No, I can't date you cause my pu**y is racist." Cue the all around. I think he got the point.

Another friend moved up here from Cali to help his mom, could not for the life of him find a job up here, and got told by a bunch of places that he was "overqualified." He never wondered if it was cause he looked Hispanic, or was Native American....he wondered if it was cause he looked Arab!
                ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                  Wow. Looks like we have a new generation of race card users.
                  I'd say now that little girl is learning that, but it was a valid question from any little kid. I know I would've been curious depending on how old I was.
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                    I once had the race card pulled on me when I wouldn't go out with some random guy who stopped me on the street.
                    I had that happen with a man that had me cornered in the mall kiosk I worked at. I wanted to say, "No, it's because you're a jerk that can't take a hint."

And seriously, what do folks expect as an answer to that question? "Why yes, yes it is because you are [insert race here]." Has anyone actually said that? Well, other than that guy SmileyEagle was dealing with from NJ, and that seems to be pretty darn rare, thankfully!
                    "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Usually, I respond with "No, it's because /I'm/ black!". That usually has the desired response of a "What the crap" look as they confusedly stalk away.

Hint: I'm not black

Comment

Oh the joy of being in the adult beverage store and being hit on . . .
                        I have very pale skin (I burn in a blink)
                        I don't know why it is that the only time I seem to be asked out anymore is if I am picking up a six pack (or 12 pack) And they are never anyone I would want to date anyway.
                        Sadly about 3 months ago an attempt at the race card was pulled . . .however there was another female there whom replied for me . . .in English she said - "no you idiot it isn't because your are ________ - it is becuase you asked her out in _______ and she didn't understand you" She rolled her eyes and walked on. . . I followed quickly.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                          I had a guy do that to me while I was taking pictures of my college campus (I was transferring to one very far away, so I wanted memories). He was just some random older guy that came from the local neighborhood that came to the campus looking to hit on college girls. He was practically screaming at me about how I wouldn't date him because he was black, as I walked over to a campus police car. I waved to him before speaking to the cop, and that shut him up.
                          It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
                          The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

I was talking to this one black woman. We were waiting in line, so we made small talk. Her brother comes up and wants to know, why I am trying to get with her. I told him that I am not interested in her. He came back with "You don't want her because she is black. Told him, Nope, I am already seeing someone and I am not the type to cheat.
                            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I've never been asked point blank if the reason I wouldn't do X was because the asker was black (except in jest by a coworker, to whom I replied yes, yes it was ^_^), but my preferred answer would be "No, it's because you're an idiot."

Comment

Working...
                              X