Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our store, swiping your card early may save you a couple of seconds, or it may end up wasting your time.

From the customers end, the interaction with the "pinpad" goes like this:
    You swipe your card
    it asks "Debit or credit"
    You enter your PIN or select Credit
    If you picked Debit, you deceide how much cash back you want and verify the transaction total.
    It approves your purchase.

It cannot proceed to step 2 until the cashier has pushed the "cerdit/debit card" payment key, which happens at the end of your transaction, but if you swipe early it will know that you swiped and just wait for the button.
    UNLESS you swiped before anything was actually rung up. Then it will forget anything about a card having been swiped, and you will have to swipe again.

and if you are buying cigarettes, it has not "rung up" anything until after the cashier has entered the verification that you are old enough to buy cigarettes, so if you swipe right after the cashier scans the ciggies, you'll need to swipe again.

I have been in other stores where I could put in my PIN and do basicly everything but verify the total while the cashier was still ringing, though.

Back to the main point: man was trying and not succeeding and becoming frustrated. In my experience, alcohol is usually involved in such a display: he's drunk, doesn't want anybody to know that he's drunk, and so is very very pissed to find he is too drunk to understand the steps he needs to follow to check himself out, and turned that on you because:
    A) you were there,
    B) he was using the self-checkout in part because he was trying to avoid human interaction, because he doesn't want anybody to know he's drunk. He thinks his son doesn't know, and he's just trying to buy some groceries and drive home without anybody figuring out he's drunk (and maybe calling the cops on him).

At least, that's my first guess.

Comment

Maybe he thought it was like at the gas pumps, where you swipe your card before you get the gas. If he wasn't familiar with self-checkouts it's an easy mistake to make. He became an SC with his attitude and being pissed off when told how it really works.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Want to bet that the U-scan machine asked him to scan his store card (you know the ones for additional discounts) and he kept "scanning" his payment card instead?

I know that the self-scans at Stop and Shop say, "welcome to stop and shop, if you have a stop and shop card please scan it now."

Comment

Quoth Titi View Post
          Want to bet that the U-scan machine asked him to scan his store card (you know the ones for additional discounts) and he kept "scanning" his payment card instead?

I know that the self-scans at Stop and Shop say, "welcome to stop and shop, if you have a stop and shop card please scan it now."
          At least that voice is less annoying than the "consumer adviser" Andrea Astrachan(sp?). When ever I use the self scan i always hit the mute button, which appears to only be on the older self scans.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
            which appears to only be on the older self scans.
            I want a mute button on the machines at the stores I go to.... maybe I should call cororate one day and ask them (via Relay) to set an option for deaf people. Dude, that would be so cooooool!*

...Okay, so I been playing Rachet & Clank [Up Your Arsenal] again. I like Dr. Nef's robotic butler's "sign language" I can't help it!
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
            X