This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you sell washing machines?

So earlier today, I’m standing on what we call “Meet and greet” it’s pretty much the same as the “greeters” I’ve seen in Wall Mart during my various trips to Canada but it’s not a customary thing in this country so we don’t have someone employed specifically to do it. Instead of getting one fo the 10 sales guys not doing anything to go on meet & greet, they come into the tech centre, find the busiest tech they can and tell him to do it...much to said tech’s complaints. I hate meet & greet but I have to do my time.

So I’m standing there, chatting to the security guard when in walks this with her husband

Me
    W: Wife
    H: Husband
    [Electrical store] - [Name of electrical store that’s the same company as we are but a different brand]

Me: Hiya. Need help finding anything? [Fake enthusiasm. you get tired of actually putting energy into it and getting ignored by customers VERY quickly]
    W: Yeah, do you sell washing machines
    Me: ...This is The COMPUTER store
    W: Yes?
    Me:...ah, we don’t sell washing machines. That’s [Electrical store] across the road
    W: You sell T.Vs
    Me: You can connect a TV to a computer, for a start
    H: I told you. They are a COMPUTER store
    W: (To husband) shush, you (To me) Washing machines today are computer controlled
    Me: No, they have a control board, not a computer.
    W: they do have a computer
    Me: What calculations does a washing machine carry out? What equations doe a washing machines ‘processor’, if you can call it that solve? What exactly does a washing machine COMPUTE?
    W: Well, there’s the time remaining on the wash cycle
    Me: that’s because they have a timer. There is a difference between a computer and a timer
    W: No there isn’t
    Me: so how does a sand-filled egg timer with no electronics attached to it work?
    W: Come on [Husband’s name] we’re leaving *storms off*
    H: Sorry about her. I tried to tell her.
    Me: *Smiles* Not to worry. Take care, Mate.
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Geez some people are really dense. I feel bad for her husband. Imagine what she must be like at home.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Flea... how much I love to make the most blatantly obvious comments in my line of work It almost comes across as sarcasm... my favourite hobby.
      When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Technically a calculator is a computer too but you'll never see me playing 'Halo" on it...lol.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
          Geez some people are really dense. I feel bad for her husband. Imagine what she must be like at home.
          well, Husband seemed to be pretty much used to her stupidity. I mean hell, the guy apologised to me for her. not often a customer does that

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
          Flea... how much I love to make the most blatantly obvious comments in my line of work It almost comes across as sarcasm... my favourite hobby.
          !!! I know. it's great "Yeah, the computer will work for you...if you plug it in" "No, don't pour liquid on your machine to clean it. it tends to short out the motherboard"

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          Technically a calculator is a computer too but you'll never see me playing 'Halo" on it...lol.
          no technically about it, a calculator IS a computer. Think about the function of a calculator. Basically it solves equasions and adds things together. thats all your computer is doing. except the equaions are more complicated and a computer does them a lot faster

Comment

Some washing machines do have computers in them. However all cars have computers and we don't expect computer stores to sell us Corvettes.

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
              Some washing machines do have computers in them. However all cars have computers and we don't expect computer stores to sell us Corvettes.
              oh, I know cars have computers in them. mine has a drive computer which tells me how many miles to the gallon, my "instant consumption", miles to empty and even fault-finds on the car.

I have to admit, I have not seen a washer witha computer in it, but if you say you have, I have no choice but to take your word for it. I think pretty much everyone on here is smarter than the average customer anyway XD

Comment

Our dryer is all digital whit a little LCD display for time remaining and instead of a dial to set it is buttons with little green LED's. Look kinda neat when the light as are off.

Comment

I just think it's funny that he stood there and argued about what a computer is when, regardless of whether he won or lost, you still would not carry washing machines.

Comment

By that logic you could order a computer from a store that soley sells washing machines
                    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Hello, I'd like to buy an argument...
                      What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Quoth mischugenah View Post
                        Hello, I'd like to buy an argument...
                        I'm sorry, you've come to the wrong place.

A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth the toy guy View Post
                          I just think it's funny that he stood there and argued about what a computer is when, regardless of whether he won or lost, you still would not carry washing machines.
                          Exactly. Is she expecting you to say 'Oh, yes actually you're right. I'll show you round to the display of washing machines we had on standby just in case we realised we should be selling them?'.

I love stating the obvious to customers too... have to be very careful though as I've been in trouble before for patronising customers. I don't mean to because obviously it's my job to help and be patient, but sometimes the sheer nonsense they peddle surprises me into giving my honest opinion!

Comment

Quoth the toy guy View Post
                            some people, I'm pretty sure, just don't have anything better to do. "It's a bright sunny day out. what should we do? have a BBQ? go swimming? Nope. lets go to the computer store, find the nearest tech and argue with him.

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                            By that logic you could order a computer from a store that soley sells washing machines
                            indeed I should be able to go to a Eurotronics shop and order a computer

Comment

Working...
                            X