This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunken Fun at the C-Store (Long!)

My previous job was as the 2nd shift (4-12am) at a C-store on the cheap rent side of town. Lots of students from the school across the street during the day, lots of drunk college students at night, but usally not bad. There was, however, a bar down the street that occasionally spawned some trouble.

Incident the First

It's Friday or Saturday night (I forget which, it's been awhile) and I have a guy wander in and ask to use the restroom. Normally this is not a problem, but this guy is obviously looking for a place to puke, so I tell him no, because I don't want to get stuck cleaning up the mess. We do the back-and-forth "Really?" "Yes, really" for a bit and he goes back outside.

I keep an eye on him for awhile, but he's just sitting there doing nothing. So I continue waiting on customers coming in, and doing my sidework. Then I hear tires squealing as somebody comes screaming into the parking lot and pulls up right outside the front door. I look up, but don't think anything of it, because people did this all the time, so I go back to my work.

At this time I'm standing on a stool refilling the ice machine, with my back to the door. Soon, I hear yelling. This worries me, because we had safety glass (or whatever you call it; that stuff that doesn't break), which blocks sound very well. And they were almost loud enough for me to make out the words. So I turn around to see what's going on. The guy who came screeching into the lot is now standing in front of the store, swinging a baseball bat, threatening the drunk guy from before, while Batguy's girlfriend is trying to calm him down. They do this for a bit, then I see Batguy charge Drunkguy, then run to his car and go taring off.

As I'm standing there going,"What the hell was THAT?" a pair of customers, who had been out at the pumps when this happened, come in and we decide to call the police. As I'm going back up to the counter to get the phone, an ambulance comes pulling into the lot, lights and sirens and all. Apparently Batguy actually hit Drunkguy with the bat at some point.(I didn't see that, nor did the customers. Otherwise, we'd been alot faster at calling the cops.) He had a cellphone, though, and called it in himself. So I got to write out a statement for them.

I found out later that Drunkguy had appearently been up at the bar and had said inappropriately sexual things about an underage relative of Batguy's. Which doesn't excuse his behavior, but it does go to show that you shouldn't get drunk and say dumbass things.

On which note...

Incident the Second

(Also titled, he said WHAT?!)

This was several months later, also on a Friday or Saturday night. I had just been replaced by the 3rd shift guy and was in the backroom counting my drawer down and doing my paperwork when my coworker A comes back and asks me to come help him. I say OK and we go back up front. There's this guy standing there, Very drunk, bleeding from a cut across his nose. As I'm just getting ready to ask him if he needs help, he turns to A and says, "Are you my n*****?" Now, for your information, A is a first-gen African immigrant; he is not only black, he VERY black.

A and I just kind of stand there for a minute, not really beliving what he said, when he turns to the other customer in the store, a middle-age hispanic woman and asks her the same thing. At this point enough is enough, I tell A to call the cops, he's drunk in public, if nothing else. Drunkguy #2 notices he's bleeding at this point and goes into the restroom. I decide that's good enough; the cops can get him out when they get there.

The cops arrive, we tell them what was said, where the guy is now,(still in restroom), and they go to take care of him. It takes them a good ten minutes to get him out of there, but finally he's out. They take him outside to do a drunk test on him, and while they're doing that, I finish my paperwork, call the boss, and decide to stick around until they get done. He failed the test (no, really!) so they hauled him off. A couple days later, A tells me he came in and apologized.

The best bit, though, is this guy was a regular and lived in the area. So for the half-hour or so they had him doing the test, every other person who came in said, "oh, that's *name*, that's his mom's van, his family owns the bar up the street, he's in trouble now!" And so he was. And I never saw him driving the van again, either.
Working...
X