This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny little places

Having read Geek King's post about the business that advertised itself as being at 'the intersection'-the only one in town,here's a further helping of more tiny little places-some have died off whilst everyone moved away,others are just one man and his dog who decided to make themselves a town to get the privilege of running the place...

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-tou...tion/gross-neb
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

My Paternal Grandpa was born in 1893 in Lonerock, Oregon.

Back in around 1997, my Aunt and I drove down from Seattle, to a small family reunion in Arlington OR. I believe the original plan was for all of us to caravan from Arlington to Lonerock, but my Aunt thought we should head down there sooner, as we were hoping to keep it to a day-trip, and with no idea of how long finding Lonerock would take, even with my Aunt's excellent map reading skills (I did all the driving of her car), and knowing there would be a significant amount (22 miles) of traveling via unimproved (or "Primitive", as some signing in this State at least used to indicate ) roads.

Anyway, after probably an hour and a half of driving a graded, but narrow in places road with the occasional switchbacks, (glad Auntie's car was a Taurus Wagon, and not a full-size SUV! ) we finally found it. Auntie had been there with her family in the '60's or early '70's, so enough time had passed that didn't know if we were on the right track.

Spent a little time there checking the place out, and taking pics. Tried to find the Cemetery, because we should have relatives buried there (Grandpa's Parents?). Was a bit surprised that it was not by the Church, as I believe that's where Cemeteries often were located in the olden days. There is also, apparently, a "[My Last Name] Creek" (No, not "Cashier Creek" ) but, again. since we were hoping to make it all the way back to Seattle, we didn't have time for more exploring.

As it turned out, since I'm uncomfortable driving at night, especially unfamiliar roads (not so great night vision), and 76 year-old Auntie only drove within her neighborhood, several miles away from where she would have to take over driving after I got Home, we found a Motel in an Oregon Town for the night.

Great couple of days, great memories!

Thanks for stirring 'em up, Kit! <-------(Pot-O-Memories)

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

A lot of little places in my area vanish as development sweeps over them, and the developers find that the original name doesn't look as good in the brochures as Olde Oceane Oake Harboure Villa Courte Townes at Misspelled Mountaine Pointe. The little community of Uno, named for a little girl's dog -- she was outside calling to it when the postmaster was trying to name the place -- is gone, replaced by a high school and a condo development called Wolfpen. The little community of Scottsburg is gone, replaced by subdivisions.

I'm proud to say though, that the little community where my father grew up, Matilda's Folly, lives on. The road that runs through it called Folly Road.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
      X