This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Load Average

We had a server getting a DDoS, and while tracking down the source, we noticed the load average getting rather high. We use a throttling mechanism that basically invalidates the load average, so this is by no means accurate. It's still funny to see:

21:06:37 up 2 days, 2:35, 6 users, load average: 19195.46, 9661.52, 4013.18
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Damn. When we were on the old server and suffering much downtime, we got over 90, nearly 100 at times, but that's incredible.

Rapscallion

Comment

Woah. If your load average is passing over 9000, you may have a small issue there.

Comment

Quoth Hawaiian Eskimo View Post
        Woah. If your load average is passing over 9000, you may have a small issue there.
        We're a shared hosting company that uses an in house throttling system to prevent any one user from drowning the server. Because of the way it works, the load average is a completely useless metric. The server was bogged down, but still running fine. That load average is about the equivalent of a 100.00 load average. This of course, doesn't mean that a load average above 19,000.00 doesn't bring a smile to my face every time I see it.
        Coworker: Distro of choice?
        Me: Gentoo.
        Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
        X