This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust In Pieces

It's a few months old, but while browsing Consumerist I saw that The Love Boat (original series, not '90s remake) is going to be scrapped. Pacific Princess, we'll miss you.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Rusted,
    Through and through
    Drop anchor
    Cuz' they're scrapping youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....................

- They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Google Earth has a picture of what I think is the correct ship (based on the article) at the breaker yard.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8279...22652!2e1!3e10

Kinda sad, but not entirely surprising, either.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

And the crying shame is I saw it for sale online a couple years back [2 or 3?] for well under 1 million bucks from the shipyard it was getting the refit at - the line that owned it abandoned it mid-refit. It was still sort of fabulous 70s decor but we joked about finding 50 other people willing to kick in $50K each to get it and use it as a floating apartment building. Only real problem with the idea is we would have had to have a bit of land on a river system with water deep enough to get her to the mooring point because commercial moorings were running something like $1000 per linear food for dock space in the summer and half that in the winter. If we wanted to sail her anywhere, at the time bunker was running around $4.00 per gallon, and she tanks something like 100 000 gallons at a crack. If we had been rich and could have afforded to run her as a yacht, I would have bought and finished a refit on her in a heartbeat.

The Glomar Explorer used to come up on the market for lease or sale occasionally. There is a ship with real history.

Why yes, doesn't everybody browse commercial and ex military ships for sale?
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
        X