This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three SCs and stupids....

Okay here's some since I've been put back on the TV service split.

1. Hook, line and sinker.

Client calls in because there is a problem with her TV. Only problem is, her service plan is expired. However....

SC: No it is not!

Me: I'm sorry, but your service plan expired 2 weeks ago. If we do any service it will be COD.

SC: But I still owe money on this TV! (Note: the TV is now over 4 years old. The service plans that the store sells are 4 year plans)

Me: I don't see how that effects the service plan, honestly I'm sorry to say.

SC: Six months after I bought the TV, I called the store credit card line to pay it off and the rep said as long as I kept a balance owed, my warranty is active! So I decided to not pay it off and just keep a balance!

Me: I'm sorry you've been misinformed but the service plan is totally 100% independent of your [store] credit card balance, whether you pay it off or not.

SC: Well I want to renew the service plan then! But I just want you to know this is ridiculous!

Me: I'll transfer you to the renewal dept, please hold.... *Transfered*

Not really that sucky but what gets me is this woman believing a credit card company CSR who was obviously feeding her a line of BS to avoid having her pay it off. Oh, and she was outside the grace period to renew her service plan by 5 days.

1. Not a valid reason for returning it....

Old man calls in for help with a Blu-Ray player. We only support TVs by this one make but his problem is familiar to me so I give him advise. His issue was that his blu-ray player couldn't play a newly released movie, 99% of the time it needs a firmware upgrade to do so....

Me: Sounds like the firmware needs to be upgraded to play that disc.

SC: But I just got the damn thing yesterday!

Me: Blu-ray players are more like computers than DVD players before them. As with a computer that needs a driver update out of the box to fix a glitch or provide compatibility with something, so does a Blu-ray player.

SC: But I just got it!

Me: It could have sat on the shelf for awhile or been manufactured a while ago and during that time a new firmware has come out for it.

SC: How do I do this "firmware upgrade?"

Me: You can either go on [company's] website and download it to either a flash drive or burn it to a DVD, or have them mail it to you. Afterwords you either insert the flash drive into the player's USB port or insert the disc and it will update.

SC: You know what? I may bring this shit back. This is complicated!

Me: I can't speak for the store but I don't think they'll accept a return just because you don't like the fact that from time to time you need to do firmware upgrades to play the latest movies.

SC: Then can you help me with the firmware upgrade then?

Me: Due to liability and legal reasons, we cannot assist with firmware upgrades. You need to call [OEM Company] for that.

SC: I think I need to call them....

With many TVs and blu-ray players upgrading firmware is a fact of life. Gotta get used to it....

1. Don't think we can reimburse you for that....

Woman calls in with an issue with her TV. She only has one source to test - her HD cable box (and we are discouraged from having people move devices from another TV to the one they're calling about). By policy in a case like this we have to recommend them calling their TV provider first, because if it turns out to be a box issue they'll be waiting an x amount of days only for the agent to come over, tell them they need to call the cable/satellite company, and leave. I inform her of this....

SC: I KNOW it's an issue with the TV! Send an agent out.

Me: If I dispatch a tech now 1) If it's a box issue he'll tell you to call your cable company and leave and 2) he'll be upset at ME for dispatching a call where there's a good chance it's your box.

SC: Well then if [cable company] comes out and finds out the box is fine, they'll charge me $60 for the visit. So I can either do your process of elimination for you and then demand you reimburse me for their visit, or you'll send your tech out.

Now in a case like this we can't force a customer to call their TV provider. If they start bitching or in this case start playing hardball, then it's best to.... send a tech out. I needed to remind her of something first....

Me: If your cable company charges service fees we have no control over that....

SC: Well then, send a tech out if you don't want a fight over $60.

Me: Okay, I will but I just want to let you know you may wait x amount of days only for him to say it's a cable box problem.

SC: Well I know it's a not a box problem so let's start the process.

I start the ticket and then when I tell her the nearest appointment is 2 days away, she starts bitching about it but relents (Most people would be happy with that). Service date set.

So, I check the repair log two days later. The tech's notes read: "Issue to be with cable box not outputting HDMI. Customer upset as now it will take longer for her to be up and running as she has to call cable company."
Working...
X