This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing saga of the Dollar Store in quiz format

So I have some more tales but I thought this time I would make it into a short quiz. Of course anyone is welcome to add their own 'choices' to the quiz

1)You find a stray item and want to know the price of it. Who should you ask?

a)cashier at the register
    b)manager scanning items with price scanner
    c)stocker with both arms full of items

2)You want an item off the top shelf and need someone to get it down. Who should you ask?

a)stocker on ladder cleaning shelves
    b)manager with arms full of merchandise

3)You're looking for a particular brand of toothpaste and notice there isn't any on the shelf. What do you do?

a)Ask cashier nicely if she knows if there's another location
    b)Ask manager to scan tag and check counts to see if he can find it
    c)Go into back room (which has a BIG sign on the door saying employees only) yourself and start looking and when someone catches you, ask them 'Do you work here?'

4)You want to return an item, how do you handle it?

a)Walk up to counter and inform cashier that you have a return
    b)Walk behind the counter, push the item in the cashier's 'personal space' and inform them you want to return the item.

Well for items 1 & 2, I'd be asking the first employee I saw who wasn't already helping a customer. Strangely, it's usually when I need something that I can't find any employees other than the cashier with a long line.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

d: walk in & start yelling "SERVICE!"
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

The incorrect answer to everything is to ask the cashier who is busy ringing up a customer with 50 items in the "20 items or less" line who also has a line a mile long. I feel...interrupted...every single time people do this to me. I understand we are in the front of the store when you first walk in but seriously??? We have one guy who regularly comes in and does this, and it's never a simple question either. We are busy!

Do you really have customers who walk into the back room? I can say I haven't seen that one (yet) at my particular store....
        Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth drjonah
          2)You want an item off the top shelf and need someone to get it down. Who should you ask?

a)stocker on ladder cleaning shelves
          b)manager with arms full of merchandise
          c) You climb the shelving to reach the item yourself.

Quoth drjonah
          3)You're looking for a particular brand of toothpaste and notice there isn't any on the shelf. What do you do?

c)Go into back room (which has a BIG sign on the door saying employees only) yourself and start looking and when someone catches you, ask them 'Do you work here?'
          There's been a disturbing uptick in this at the swamp.

Not customers roaming the backroom, mind you, but customers poking their heads through the double doors as we're unloading a truck, to ask us where something is.

It happened twice last night. We've got a Lowest Prices of the Season sale going on and the store is staffed like it's a random night in February. They probably couldn't find anybody on the floor, and if they did the floor person was probably busy with other customers. We can haz payroll nao?
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Me! Me! Pick me! I know the answers!

...oh wait. You don't have a "Assume that employees somehow automatically know what you want and wait for them to do it, and then throw a fit when no one does?"

Dangit, got 0 on my quiz again
            I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

I've been here and there in The World® long enough to set the curve here. Pretty sure the correct answers all come from right here at CS.

Quoth drjonah View Post
              1)You find a stray item and want to know the price of it. Who should you ask?
              d. No one.
              Stomp triumphantly to the checkout, place it and your other untagged finds (all sixty-two of them) at the register, and have the clerk run price checks for each and every one, then hem and haw over each for several minutes about its desirability at that price, eventually actually purchase three, all while muttering "t'ain't marked, it oughtta be free."

Quoth drjonah View Post
              c. No one.
              Stomp furtively over to Sporting goods and procure a golf club or basketball. Attempt to dislodge said item from top shelf yourself. Ignore the safety of yourself and other customers. Damage several adjacent items, resulting in breakage that brings a store employee running. Saunter to the front unapologetically with the item that the store employee has pointed out to you is right below the one you wanted - at eye level.
              Quoth drjonah View Post
              d. Grab the largest, most expensive toothpaste you can find and whine and roar through the clerk to the AM, to the SM, to the GM until they cave and give it to you for the price of your now-discontinued-b/c-only-you-and-one-other-ninety year old-bought-it-once-a-year brand toothpaste. (Extra Credit Points: Have staff call all other stores AND competitors looking for your obscure toothpaste.)
              Quoth drjonah View Post
              c. Wait a year or two, then bring it (broken, torn, obviously well-used) without receipt to a store as diametrically opposed to the item as possible, e.g. fishing gear to lingerie shop, tires to a bakery, BMW to a Dollar Store, etc. Insist to the only female employee that you bought it from "some other girl" last week. Begin cursing then proceed to death threats.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                d: walk in & start yelling "SERVICE!"
                That one happened to me once. Nasty man just came in the shop, picked a bag of sugar up and even before he got to the counter he shouted "SERVICE" at the top of his voice as I was coming to the till area to serve.

Some people treat us like crap on the bottom of their shoes. They think shouting a single word is okay. I mean, we're only shop workers so it's okay right?

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                  That one happened to me once. Nasty man just came in the shop, picked a bag of sugar up and even before he got to the counter he shouted "SERVICE" at the top of his voice as I was coming to the till area to serve.

Some people treat us like crap on the bottom of their shoes. They think shouting a single word is okay. I mean, we're only shop workers so it's okay right?
                  To a lot of people, the 'stereotype' of cashiers is that they are to just stand at the register at all times to 'service' people. So many times people will walk up to the register, pound on the counter and yell out 'HELLO?'.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                    Nasty man just came in the shop, picked a bag of sugar up and even before he got to the counter he shouted "SERVICE" at the top of his voice as I was coming to the till area to serve.
                    This customer's "service" should come at the end of a Tennis Racket.

SC
                    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

My favorite is when I get hassled or touched...and they expect me not to do anything. Sorry mate, but if you slap my ass, expect either a punch in the face, or my angry boss hauling you out by your collar. And no, I don't work in a bar or strip club, I work in a bloody service station.

Comment

Wonder how long it is before somebody thinks a butt bongo fiesta is an appropriate way to get help in a retail store.

Oh wait, it's probably already happened.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          c. Wait a year or two, then bring it (broken, torn, obviously well-used) without receipt to a store as diametrically opposed to the item as possible, e.g. fishing gear to lingerie shop, tires to a bakery, BMW to a Dollar Store, etc.
                          That last one isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. In a way, I could understand someone bringing a Chevy medium-duty (2500 or 3500 series) pickup to Dollarama. After all, what's Dollarama's "house brand" for tools? Duramax - same as GM's name for the diesel engine in their medium-duty trucks.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                            c4) dump it down the waistband of the nearest peon.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

e) Stand there expecting staff to psychically read your mind. When this doesn't happen, stomp out of the store, leaving a full trolley/basket on the floor, muttering about the poor service.

Or...

f) Only applies to 99p Store or Poundland. Go to every single employee with item and ask "How much is this?"

You wouldn't think that people would be that stupid, but I know someone who works at Poundland and at least once a day, someone will ask her how much something is, when everything in Poundland costs... yep, you guessed it, one pound.
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X