This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Number Suspicions

We all know what a serial number is, right? It often acts as an identifier for a specific electronic device, usually used in contacting tech support or getting warranty coverage. If you buy something used and find the serial number missing, you can be reasonably sure you've got a stolen item on your hands.

Anyway, I had a guy call in today asking for the serial number off an Acer desktop.

My co-worker fielded the call. It was interesting for me to watch the exchange. Co-worker first thought the guy wanted the model number, so that's what he gave him. Nope, that wasn't it. So co-worker gives him the SKU, then the UPC. Niether of those are what the caller wants. Finally, co-worker shows me the UPC and says, "That's the serial number, right?" No. No it's not. Co-worker passed the call over to me.

I confirmed that the guy wanted the serial number. That was suspicious to me, so I asked him why he needed it.
    SC: I just want to look it up on their website.
    Me: You can look up computer information by model number.
    SC: I'm not looking for specs, though.
    Me: I'm confused, then. What are you looking for, and why do you need the serial number for it?
    SC: I'm trying to get to their tech support site, and it won't let me in without a serial number.

I decided I was better off playing it safe. I told him I could not give out the serial number. Of course he wanted to know why, and I tried to explain that someone (not him specifically) might try to use that serial number fraudulently, such as registering software or getting tech support for a computer they don't own. He complained some more, at which point I asked why his own serial number wasn't good enough. He didn't have one. That said to me that he either didn't have one of those computer models, or he had one that was somehow missing its serial and he wanted a replacement.

So I again refused him. He said, "Whatever," and hung up on me.

I'm still thinking about this one, though. Am I right to have been suspicious? Did I do the right thing by refusing him? What could he have needed with that serial number anyway? Any ideas anybody?
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

You totally did the right thing. There's a reason why they include unique serial numbers with software, and that customer is the reason why!
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

You probably made the right call, and it would also be a good idea to ask your higher-ups and notify your co-workers as well. There might be a legitimate reason that someone would ask that question, but it's more likely that it's for nefarious purposes, in which case everyone needs to know about it so that they don't fall for it.

Comment

I agree with above posters. let your superiors know what happened and your suspicions. If they're decent management, they'll either #1 let you know it's ok to give that info out, or #2 send out a memo or email to the others phone people making them aware of the situation.

good call! I agree, I think it's bogus. He was trying to do something naughty.
        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

That was a good call. There are some very limited circumstances where somebody might legitimately have a serial number and not have a way to get it. For instance if the equipment or software was stolen or destroyed and they need the number to file an insurance claim.

But your guy was acting fishy and avoiding your legitimate questions. Something wasn't right there.

I'm in the software business myself and the folks who try to scam outnumber the ones with legitimate issues ten to one.
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Definitely did the right thing. The only time we give out any type of serial number info on the radios and equipment here is when we're dealing with police/FBI types who are trying to track or backtrack on stolen equipment they've recovered.

Any time someone won't give a straight answer in this kind of situation, I assume they're lying. There are very few reasons why you wouldn't have that information, and if it is because something was stolen or destroyed, people are generally very forthcoming with that information. If there is a legit reason, he should have given that up front. Good job on being tough with him.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Thanks, everybody. That's been bothering me for a few days. I still can't help wondering why the guy would want the serial number off one of our displays, but I can't think of any legitimate reason, so I must assume it's for something at least unethical if not also illegal.

I have a meeting with a manager today (supervisor has been pushing for a raise for me and a co-worker, and today we meet with the store manager so he can determine if we deserve it). I'll mention the situation to him. All the other guys in my department have already been told the story and instructed to not give out specific numbers like that without first consulting a superior.
              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
              - Bill Watterson

- IPF

Comment

There is a old scam dealing with fax machines and copiers. Getting the serial number from those machines to send a invoice for repair work. Most companies will just pay the invoice because the payable department sees the serial number attached.

It could be a newer type of that old scam. Nobody ever needs the serial number over the phone except when you call out for tech support for the device in your hands.
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                  There is a old scam dealing with fax machines and copiers. Getting the serial number from those machines to send a invoice for repair work. Most companies will just pay the invoice because the payable department sees the serial number attached.
                  It's been awhile since I've had to deal with that at work. For several months, someone would call and ask for the number. When I'd ask what company they were with, they'd hang up. Doesn't stop them from calling again later though. Second or third time, my patience wears thin, and I cease to be polite to those bastards.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We had a department meeting Saturday morning. I skipped managers (because when I told the one manager, he wanted to bring it up in a district conference call and then in a store management meeting before taking it to the floor) and just told my co-workers to not give out serial numbers and my reasons why.

Had another serial number related issue after the meeting that day.

Starting back in October, if you bought an XP computer, you got a coupon that allowed you to order a free upgrade copy of Vista. I've had several calls about that lately where people are just confused, but I've usually been able to explain it pretty well.

Well, Saturday a guy called in with a free-Vista-upgrade question. He'd just submitted his coupon for the free upgrade. His complaint was that the upgrade copies were backordered. He told me, "Nobody told me I'd have to wait up to three months to get my Vista!" Nobody told us that, either. He demanded that he be allowed to bring his computer in so we could "just download" Vista onto his system for free and claimed he was entitled to this because he was "misinformed." I tried to explain that what he wanted was impossible. The free upgrade discs will be keyed to the customers' specific computer, and if they try to use those discs on another computer, Microsoft will not allow it and may even try to take legal action against them. That's why the upgrade form asks for a serial number. That wasn't good enough. He wanted to speak to a manager. So I transferred the call, but I stayed on the line with it muted.

The manager, after putting up a good fight, decided to cave in to this guy and told him he could come in and take one of our store copies (the ones we were selling) in place of his free upgrade copy. That's when I jumped back on the line to inform the manager of the problems he was about to bring on the store. Fortunately, he understood my side and retracted his offer to the customer, re-explaining what I had explained. Of course, the customer was very angry (again) and wanted me fired, but he finally gave up and hung up his phone.

And somehow, management still thinks they need to give me some stupid task list or performance standards to complete before I can get a raise. After saving their butts more than once and having a new guy hired at $1.16 more than I'm getting after two years of work?

*Only two more years until I graduate and get a better job...*
                    - Bill Watterson

- IPF

Comment

Working...
                    X