This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My most memorable experience with Tech Support

The following is a long story about my first real encounter with Compaq tech support.

The first computer we had was purchased in '94. If I remember correctly it had a whopping 4MB RAM. I had no experience with computers. To say I was a bit overwhelmed would be putting it mildly. The first time I sat before this intimidating piece of plastic my heart was pounding, my palms were sweating and I was positive I would completely destroy the entire motherboard with just one wrong keystroke.

It was loaded with Windows 3.1 - I had no idea at all what the heck they meant by windows. So, I decided to face my fears and just started clicking on everything I could find. I would get on the computer everyday and go through the tutorials. They were really very helpful.

We soon graduated to our second computer. By this time I was much more comfortable with a PC. The only thing was, when I chose the perfect spot for this monstrosity it happened to be the same corner where I usually put my Christmas tree. My livingroom is rather small and there's really only one spot for the tree...but come Christmastime, there's that damn computer in the way. So, I moved it to a different spot so I could put up the tree.

The next day I could not get online. No matter what I tried I would just keep getting this error message that the modem could not be found. Now, I didn't hide the modem and I was positive my son hadn't either. But it obviously was lost somehow!

The PC was still under warranty so I decided to call tech support. I was still wet behind the ears concerning PC lingo but the guy on the other end of the phone was a jewel. I was pleasant and trying to be funny when I told him I had moved my PC from one spot to another and somehow lost my modem. (It was an internal modem.) He chuckled and said, "the modem is still there, it probably has just gotten loose during the move."

He asked, "Do you feel comfortable removing the cover on your tower?"

Me: "Ahhhhh...I guess so."

Tech: "Don't worry. I'll walk ya through it."

Me: "okay......."

So, I get down on my hands and knees to begin and he says: "Don't forget to unplug it first!"

Now, keep in mind that I'm not as young as I used to be and my eyesight isn't the greatest. It was evening in December, so it was dark...and my eyes are even worse without daylight to work with. So, I told the tech: "I'm going to have to go get a brighter light so I can see what I'm doing."

Tech: "Okay."

I go get the light, set it on the floor next to the tower and start taking the screws out of the cover. Once the screws were out I couldn't figure out how the damn cover came off.

Tech: "You should see something that looks like half a wheel. If you push down on that you should be able to get the cover to slide off toward the back of the tower."

Me: "Oh, I found it...that did the trick." (Yay me!!!)

Tech: "You got the cover off?"

Me: "Yes."

Tech: "Okay. Now you're going to look for something that looks like a circuit board. It'll be about 4" x 5" in size." (This is all from memory, so I'm not positive about the specifics.)

Me: "I see a few of them. Which one is it?"

Tech: "It should be the last one...on the bottom."

At this point my portable phone starts beeping at me, indicating my battery was about to give up the ghost.

Me: "I'm sorry. My phone is about to go dead. I'm going to have to get the other phone."

Tech: "Go ahead."

By this time I'm sure he's thinking...WHAT A NIMROD!

Me: "Okay, I'm back. Now you said it should be the last board on the bottom?"

Tech: "That's right...do you see it?"

It's at this moment, while I'm lying on the floor trying to hold the corded phone strung from the kitchen between my shoulder and my ear, that my cat decides he wants to mark me with his scent glands in his face. He's lovingly rubbing his cheeks all over my chin and nose, purring up a storm.

Tech: "What is that? Do you have a cat?"

Me: "Yeah. He's decided he's going to help me."

Tech: "I can hear him purring. LOL!"

Me: "Sorry about that...cat, go away!"

Tech: Still laughing.

Me: "Okay. I think I know which board it is. What do I do now?"

Tech: "Just grab it, pull it out then immediately push it back in. That will reset it."

Me: "Oh jeez...alright. Here goes." I did as I was told.

Tech: "Did ya do it?"

Me: "Yep."

Tech: "Can you get online while you're on the phone or do you have dial-up?"

Me: "No, I have dial-up."

Tech: "Well, then I guess we'll have to get off the line so you can see if that did the trick. If not, call us back, my name is very patient tech guy and your ticket no. is ________."

I was on the phone with him for at least a half-hour and he was as sweet as could be. I'm sure he and his co-techs had a good laugh about the crazy cat lady who lost her modem.

His solution did work BTW.
    Retail Haiku:
    Depression sets in.
    The hellhole is calling me ~
    I don't want to go.

At least you got the appropiate help you needed and you and kitty gave him a good laugh.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm just glad kitty didn't give it a burst of static... That would have been unfortunate.

Rapscallion

Comment

Low density chips of old times weren't as subseptible (as much, but still) to static as the microscopically-wired ones nowadays.
        I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          I'm just glad kitty didn't give it a burst of static... That would have been unfortunate.
          Been there, done that. :P I was halfway through testing repairs on my PC right after we had adopted our first cat, and stupid me, I left the cover off when I went to work that morning, intending to finish up that night. I'd left the machine running, when along comes kitty who sees these neat playthings, and my wife hears this 'Buzzz.... buzzzzz... buzzz... buzzzzz.' coming out of the speakers. She comes into the room to find kitty playfully batting away at the expansion boards, having an absolute blast in the process.

Get home later that night, the modem won't respond. Get a new modem, back in business. It seems her antics in the case shorted something on the modem, and that was a $50 lesson I learned well. "If ye have cats, woe to ye who leaves thy PC cover off."
          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
            ... "If ye have cats, woe to ye who leaves thy PC cover off."
            Cats are very curious creatures, aren't they?

After my experience with the most patient tech support guy, I began regularly removing the cover to clean inside the tower. I couldn't believe the amount of cat fur I'd find in there! That first time there was so much of it on the fans that I'm surprised they still worked!
            Retail Haiku:
            Depression sets in.
            I don't want to go.

Comment

Hehe. I got a cat that helps me with computer issues.

No, that's not really my cat. I found this on the internet somewhere.
              Desk-On: Apply directly to the forehead.

Comment

This may seem like an obscure question (to the OP), but was the computer a Compaq Presario CDS 520?

Oddly enough my parents purchased that computer the same year as you, with the same amount of RAM also (it cost more than my *practically* new laptop).
                I still have my Compaq and still use it but I upgraded it...to a whopping 12MB

Comment

Quoth wj_737_700 View Post
                  This may seem like an obscure question (to the OP), but was the computer a Compaq Presario CDS 520?

Oddly enough my parents purchased that computer the same year as you, with the same amount of RAM also (it cost more than my *practically* new laptop).
                  I still have my Compaq and still use it but I upgraded it...to a whopping 12MB
                  I'm really not sure exactly what that first computer was. It was a Compaq but I don't recall which model. We got it at Sears and the price was outrageous, close to $2,000.00, if not more.

I do remember being so impressed when the sales clerk said it can hold up to 4 (office-size) file cabinets worth of info. We didn't have it very long because it was obsolete before we even walked out the door with it. I was too stupid to know that...and the sales clerk knew it. He sold us a couple of games that wouldn't even work on the damn computer because there wasn't enough RAM. And, because of the return policy on such things, we ate the cost of those games.
                  Retail Haiku:
                  Depression sets in.
                  I don't want to go.

Comment

I have a problem with losing the screws to my computer case, so at one time I had it simply leaning against the side of the computer.

And of course, my parrots decided its' a nice, warm place to nest.

Fortunately, they never laid eggs, but when I took the comp in for servicing, this ensued:

Tech guy: Hey. Do you eat spitz?

Me: What? The sunflower seeds? No. Why?

Tech Guy: oh. cause we found sunflower seeds in your tower.

O.O

Me: Oh! *after a pause* It must have been my birds I guess...
                    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
                      Cats are very curious creatures, aren't they?
                      Depends on the cat. I have a server at home that runs with the side panels off. He hasn't made any attempts to mess with it yet. I'm not sure if it's because of the warmth in there, or because the fans drive him nuts. He will, however, sniff the *other* (fully enclosed) computer when it's in the living room though...
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I have a problem with losing the screws to my computer case
                        man, i cant tell you how many of those i have and lost, i have a harddrive magnet with about 80 stuck to them, its very handy
                        Last edited by yahurd; 02-08-2007, 09:10 PM. Reason: quoted a bit too much!!!

Comment

For the cat lovers in this thread... Enjoy! There are a few computer related pics on that page. One with a server, and one with an invisible sandwich! No matter how many times I've seen this, I keep giggling.
                          Last edited by FenigDurak; 02-13-2007, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Yeah, my cats are incredibly curious, especially when it comes to things they shouldn't be in/on. They loved my old laptop because the battery would heat up, making the keypad warm when I left it on. Since it would quit out of AIM if I shut the laptop I'd leave it open, but then the cats would sleep on the keyboard. They've introduced me to commands I didn't know the computer had (I had to call my brother to figure out how to make the screen go back to normal after they turned it into a photo-negative image--neat trick though, which my brother and I fully intend to employ to confuse people at the Apple store the next time he comes home!!) and they also pulled out half the keys on the keyboard. Thankfully I got a new laptop for graduation, and it still has all its keys.

Also, I'm very lucky, as my "little" brother is my own personal very patient tech guy and he's free and available most of the time!
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Aww, I'm glad you got one of us good CSR's!

I called in for help on my laptop the other day, and it was horrible! I hate to say it, but this seemed like the kind of tech support that creates a lot of SC's. I think the worst part of it, beside his sarcastic attitude was when I asked him what caused the problem he said something long and complicated, and refused to explain it. Grrr
                              "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

Working...
                              X