Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You'll have to be a bit more specific...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'll have to be a bit more specific...

Another saturday...

Off & on busier than hell. Up the ying-yang trying to help my customers in the store, trying to figure out what they need, repairs for their systems, yada yada yada...

Of course, all the while the bloody phone, with a rather irritating ,loud & noisy ring, is going off about 3 feet away from me.

Fortunately the 2 separate cust. I was helping were rather tech savvy & even said that I could grab the line. I look at the phone & look back at them, wince & say "I don't wanna...i know it's gonna be a luser". I stiffen my resolve & answer the phone...Convo goes on as such.

Me: Hello *******

L: Hi....Um.....

Me: How can I help you? *pulls side of tower off to inspect motherboard for customer in shop while ringing out a purchase*

L: Um....I need a motherboard.

Me: Mkayyyy....What socket are you looking for? *Looks up price for a vid card while testing a power supply*

L: *irritated tone*What?

Me: What type of processor do you have? ( I can tell this is going downhill fast...More people trundling in the door looking for help)

L: *more irritated* Look...I just need a motherboard.

Me: Well then. Let me just list off the possible socket/slot types for ya ( Customers I'm helping start to giggle ) *deep breath* Slot 1, slot 2, socket 7, socket 370, socket a/462, socket 423, socket 478, socket 754, socket 775 LGA, socket 939, socket 940, AM2, or socket F? Not to mention a manufacturer preference. *tries to give this info out while call waiting beep cuts me off every 8 seconds*

L: Umm.....

Me: *Looks up at new customers that are of course getting antsy/doing the foot tapping thing because they just know I'm wasting their time on the phone* Any one of those?

L: Umm.....I guess I should find out.

Me: Yes, that'd would make things quite a bit easier.

L: Umm...Okay...Thanks.

Me: No problem *hangs up phone & rubs temples* Of course my customers ask about the call & look at each other .

Please have at least a shred of information for me when you call, it kinda helps the process. I know not everybody knows everything, but don't get pissy at me when I ask for a tad of info.

Then of course it was dead as hell for the last 2 hours...Well...up until 5 minutes before closing....That you can probably figure out. Guess who left work half an hour late.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Got to love not having enough information!

I get that all the time. Customers wanting PS's for their laptops but don't even know the brand or model number of their laptop.

Comment

I need a motherboard.

It's green. No...it's blue-ish colored, and it has lots of little battery-shaped thingys on it.

Its from my fathers's sister's roommate's nephew's computer in the back closet, and..and there was no logo on the box, it was ...like....tall. And beige.

GAH!!!

READ THE GOD DANG SILKSCREEN MICRO PRINT YOU BLOODY IDIOTS!!!!

cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I had to fix my wife's aunt's laptop one time, you could not see the screen, video was barely present, and it did work when connected to a monitor. It was some no name like ECS or whatever, by doing alot of cross referencing and by luck of eBay and I was able to find the part needed for two different prices. It needed a new LCD inverter board, just one, but I got both off eBay for about $10.

But still, its like the lady I asked to read off her model # off the bottom of her laptop and it changed 5 times. I finally got the correct one, and checked Dells site to find it was a 233Mhz pc that they had a wifi card and ethernet card in it.

Comment

Gotta give her credit for acknowledging that she didn't have the necesssary information. At least it didn't turn into something like this:

Her: I need a motherboard.
          You: What socket type.
          HEr. Listen, I just need a motherboard.
          You: I understand that. But I need to know what socket type. Do you know what type of processor you are using?
          Her: Why does that matter? I just want a motherboard.
          You: Yes, but the socket/CPU type is the deciding factor here. I can't help you if you don't know what type you want.
          Her: I just want a damn motherboard. Is that so hard?
          You: Ma'am, in order to give you the correct information, I have to know what type of socket you want. If I give you the wrong one, your processor may not fit at best and break the whole the whole thing at worst.
          Her: You don't know what you are talking about. I just want a motherboard! Get me your manager.

Comment

The funny thing about that trunks.. is that my manager would then transfer them back to me.. or ask me the questions they need to ask.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
              Her: You don't know what you are talking about. I just want a motherboard! Get me your manager.
              I wonder if when these people buy a car, they ask for just that; a car. Imagine it:

SC: I want to buy a car.
              Sales: OK, will that be a Ford, Saturn, Toyo-
              SC: I just want a car!
              Sales: 4-door sedan, pickup, sportsc-
              SC: Are you dumb? I want a car!
              Sales: Certainly. The men in white coats with your car will be there shortly.
              SC: Thank you! Was that so hard?!

People suck.
              Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

you mean a motherboard is not when my mom has nothing to do?
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  Not that I know of. A motherboard is the brains of a computer.
                  My Fanfic Page
                  My Fiction Page
                  My Social Group
                  My Pet Social Group
                  My You Tube Channel

Comment

No, isn't the processor the brains, and the motherboard is just the body?

Comment

The processor is the brain, and the motherboard is like the rest of the nervous system. The processor does most of the work, but the motherboard sends the signals to control the rest of the parts.
                      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Yes!!!

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                        You: Ma'am, in order to give you the correct information, I have to know what type of socket you want. If I give you the wrong one, your processor may not fit at best and break the whole the whole thing at worst.
                        I sometimes think being polite is just not the the way, far better to blurt techno babble to them.
                        I want a job in IT!!!
                        ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                        Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Cesii View Post
                          I want a job in IT!!!
                          Famous last words.

Comment

The best analogy i have come up with to describe the innards of a computer is as follows:

Processor = Brain
                            Motherboard = Spinal Cord
                            Ram = Short term memory
                            Hard Drive = Long Term Memory
                            Video Card/Monitor = The eyes, but reversed
                            Sound Card = Vocal Cords

I actually used this in a Compsci class and the instructer took me aside and asked if he can use them in the furure!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              AHAHAHAHAHA!!! I have to say, "Motherboard" always reminds me of a space ship. No idea why.
                              The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Working...
                              X