Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth LadyofArc View Post
    Downside is that because the standard for bras in my size is 3 hooks, I need to make my own quick release.
    How would Velcro fair?

PS. Don't tell The Wife that I am helping you unhook your bra.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Found a list of 2018's most popular baby names.

There are apparently in this country people (more than one) who named their children Kale.

You know, my kids are the only ones in their school with their particular names...and they're not named after food. You don't have to name your kids after food or kitchen utensils or cardinal directions to be unique.

(TBH though, kale being food is debatable)
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
        Anybody else notice that with the "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" that Santa's kind of a jerk to a lot of those he interacts with?
        I've been saying for years that Rudolph should have told the whole lot of them to take a running jump.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
          I've been saying for years that Rudolph should have told the whole lot of them to take a running jump.
          I know it's fiction, but I think the only reason Rudolph didn't do that is because he made a promise to the toys on the Island of Misfit Toys.

Otherwise, yeah, I could see him saying, "Screw you guys."
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            Found a list of 2018's most popular baby names.

There are apparently in this country people (more than one) who named their children Kale.

You know, my kids are the only ones in their school with their particular names...and they're not named after food. You don't have to name your kids after food or kitchen utensils or cardinal directions to be unique.

(TBH though, kale being food is debatable)
            We gave our son a unique name, too.

I have this discussion with my wife from time to time. She basically says it's not much different from naming someone after a flower (i.e. Lily, Rose), a gemstone (i.e. Ruby), a month (May, April, June, August, December), or a fruit (Apple).

There have been people who have wanted to give their kids certain names, where courts have actually gotten involved and told them "no".
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• You can find lots of unique names in history or literature though. Why would you name your child after a fruit? Or a particularly disgusting vegetable like kale? My children's names are literary and are not super weird, but archaic enough that no one else we know has them. It's like people have no concept that their kids will eventually grow up and need to have social lives and jobs.

Your wife has a point but I feel like there's a big difference in naming your daughter April vs. Potato.
              Last edited by AnaKhouri; 11-29-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                Blame Dragonball Super. Kale's the femBroly
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• The characters in Dragon Ball are named after veggies and other food though...>facepalm<

Comment

• Black folks often have "distinctive" names. "Lemonjello" and "Orangejello" (foods again) are infamous, but I have personally seen a fellow waiting at a bus stop whose work nametag proclaimed him to be "Adequate".

Comment

• Fun fact: My younger son's name is from my favorite Shakespeare play, but is also relatively popular with black people due to a black public figure choosing that name. So probably you know exactly what it is now.

+++++

How you know you're meant to be:

Husband: What do you think is the greatest SF novel ever written? Not necessarily your favorite, just the greatest.

Both of us at the same time: Dune.

Comment

• I very much enjoyed visiting our local Christmas Fayre at the weekend with my mum. I did not enjoy the sheer number of idiots who don't understand the concept of "ask before you pet the dog".

Yes, he's a Cocker Spaniel with unusual colouring (blue roan and tan). Yes, he's unbelievably cute since he's had a trim. He is, however, a rescue dog, and will bite if he gets scared (I have the scars to prove it). Please keep your sticky mitts off of him until we're sure he's OK with being patted! It took us nearly a year to get him to trust us enough to stop hating the world and everything in it. Getting repeatedly pawed at could have gone horribly wrong if I hadn't been on the ball enough to calm him down each time. The only people who got it right were the nice couple outside the church who asked first, and the man was trying to get over his perfectly natural fear of dogs after a German Shepherd bit his ear off.

I don't care if it's a Chihuahua, dogs' teeth are still sharp and they are still living, breathing creatures that have their own personalities, preferences and hang-ups. If you ignore their body language and vocalised warnings you deserve everything you get.*

* Obvious disclaimer that very small children and people who have mental issues shouldn't be blamed for not picking up on the warnings, but they should have parents/carers who can do it for them.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Ana - For old-school anime: Bubblegum Crisis (the original one from the 80's)

For modern, fresh-off-the presses anime: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (starts out different/odd, but GOOD, vastly improves/deepens at around episode 6)
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            I very much enjoyed visiting our local Christmas Fayre at the weekend with my mum. I did not enjoy the sheer number of idiots who don't understand the concept of "ask before you pet the dog".

*snip*
                            Had somebody come through my line a few days ago with a lovely dog ... wearing a 'jacket' that very clearly read THERAPY DOG.

I nodded at it, said "Beautiful dog" and left it at that.

Not that you should approach ANY dog without asking permission, but especially not working dogs.

And my random thought for today: got a card in the mail from company X, telling me to bring the card to the nearest branch because I've been "pre-approved" for a $3,500 loan!

Yeah, that's JUST what I need ... MORE debt.

Dear loan companies: Unless you are GIVING me the cash, free and clear, please stop leaving your crap in my mailbox. It just goes right into the recycling bin.
                            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• As far as names, my real name is not super common. I went through all grades K-12 without any other student having the same name. However it's recognizable and easy to pronounce and spell. I've only had one barista ever misspell it. Props to my parents, though to be fair it's sort of a spin on a family name, so it's not like they picked it out of the mist. Now, I'm fine with unique names, generally speaking. I had an old manager who named her kid some currently trendy name like Addison but she spelled it Adison. She told me she really thought it set her kid apart because she spelled it different. I... Can't say I share that opinion, but it's not like it makes a difference to me, so whatev.

I was at work today, and it's repetitive so I just think about all kinds of random stuff all day long. It occurred to me, wouldn't it be cool if you could sell or throw away your stuff just like in video games? Maybe like in the Sims. Just select and hit delete and poof! It's gone from my apartment or car. Because I have NO PROBLEM deciding to get rid of something, but urg it takes me so long to actually bring it to the thrift shop! I just want it to be gone instantly. Someone needs to work on this. Teleportation.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Hey other writers, how about we don't make career-ending accusations based on nothing but our own paranoia, offer flimsy apologies and still refuse to take down the offensive tweet, allowing misinformation to continue spreading? Yeah, that'd be great.

Comment

Working...
                                X