Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The service would have be pretty damn shitty before I'd stiff on the tip. If I had to complain to the manager, which I don't do lightly, then I wouldn't tip, but otherwise I leave 10%. I usually walk in there expecting to tip 10% as the price of someone bringing the food to my table, and 5-10% over that as a thank you for being nice about it. As long as I actually get served, I tip.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

And I told B not to tip either."
      or two of her customers stiffed her.
      Question: Did B really not tip? She did say she was putting it on her card... Maybe she didn't listen to A, either.

I usually tip around 20%. As far as I know none of my friends are crappy tippers. The ones I go out to eat with most often aren't, anyway. Otherwise, I'm usually out with a big group, and I'm usually not the one collecting the money, so I have no idea what people are tipping. I know my part is taken care of, though
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I don't eat with people who don't tip. I figure they have bad manners and now that I have a child, I'm a little more particular about the company I keep.

Here's how I tip:

Less than 10% - jerky waitress who should really be digging ditches instead.

10% - Barely passable service. I usually have to request every drink refill, but the food is hot and the order is correct.

15%- Decent service and they're nice to my kid.

20%- Good service, never an empty glass, nice to above referenced kid.

I have been known to tip 25-35% or more if we're part of large party and they still got everything right. Or if they made any special accommodation for my daughter. If you're good to my kid and don't make us uncomfortable in any way AND you get the food service down right, you could very well make a 40% tip off of us.

***I waitressed for a total of three days before I quit mid-shift and tossed a sans-dressing salad on a customer who REALLY deserved to have my size nine surgically removed.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
          I completely agree. And most decent servers/bartenders would agree with you also.

Any server who thinks people should tip for shitty service is probably a shitty server.
          I can only remember one instance where I purposely did not leave a tip. I was a regular at a VI near where I lived and all the morning staff knew me pretty well. Well enough that I never had to tell them I wanted coffee and cream to start, it just appeared when I sat down.

One morning, they had a different waitress than usual... When I left, and the manager asked me how things were, I told her "Well, let me put it this way, I didn't leave a tip." I followed that up by asking if my milk was on the check. He said now, and I told him good, because I never got it.

The woman in question was not new to the store, she had apparently been filling in, quite against her will, while one of the other women was out ill. She brought my coffee when I asked and I had to ask twice for cream, and when she delivered my breakfast, she didn't even look where she was placing it and proceded to hit said coffee cop and slosh it on the table. I had to get up to get a towel from the station to clean it up.

Yea. Sometimes they don't deserve a tip, but otherwise, I tip pretty well.

:Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Question: Did B really not tip? She did say she was putting it on her card... Maybe she didn't listen to A, either.
            I asked B about it later. She didn't notice what I left on the table, so when A told her that I took care of it, she assumed that I took care of it. She's not given to over-analyzing situations, either, so I absolutely don't blame her. I asked these two if they wanted to go out that night, I suggested the restaurant, and I brought up the tip in conversation. If I wasn't broke, I might have treated these two, so it's not implausible for me to have treated on the tip. I'm upset with A, but I've decided that I won't go out with her again unless it's a large group and I'm tipping on my card.

And Eric, you reminded me of the 2nd worst tip I have ever left. I went into a diner at 11 pm and ordered a hamburger, fries, soda, maybe a seven dollar tab. Waited 30 minutes in a dead restaurant, watching my waitress chat with her friends, when at this same location during a lunch rush it only takes 10-15 minutes. After I finally got my food, I had to stand up and wave at her to get her attention for a drink refill, and again to order my ice cream. Waited 40 minutes, no ice cream, and the girl had disappeared from the dining room. So I left a $1 on the table, paid, and walked out. Came back in two minutes later and asked for a manager to take the ice cream off my bill. At first he gave me a bit of an attitude about it, but I told him flat out that I was not going to pay for something I hadn't received, and that I never received such horrible service from my regular waiters (who I named). After that he was very helpful, and I left happy. Never had a problem at this diner again.
            "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
              Back in my youth, I too was not a tipper, figuring they were paid to do the job, why should I pay extra.
              I used to be the same way. It's not that I wouldn't leave anything, but I'd throw down a dollar or two, and think that was OK. My ex, when I was still with her, tried to change me on that one, but since she found fault with everything I did, coupled with the fact that she rarely worked at all, I didn't listen to her.

I didn't really get it until I started coming here, and found out how horribly servers get paid. Now I usually tip 20%, unless I get crappy service.

There was only one time that I didn't leave a tip, and that was when a waitress spilled a drink all over the table and on my wife, and then proceeded to vanish, never coming back to clean up the mess, see if we needed anything else, or even to bring us our check. We had to go up front and ask the manager for it. I made sure to tell the manager what had happened. I doubt that waitress was there much longer after that.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've always been a splurge tipper, mainly because

A) As a college student that works I don't go out to eat at "real" restaurants much

B)I'm ridiculously nice to random people for fun.

I've done things like tipped a cab driver $25 a few days before x-mas because I was feeling generous.

I've tipped a waitress $30 for a 10 dollar check because I had gone there every weekend with friends that were total douche's

When it comes to bar's, I only drink mixed drinks when out, or shots. If I want beer I'll buy it myself. So long as the bartender doesn't water my drink down to all hell then they get a few bucks. The regular bartender at one of my favorite bars always got a nice tip because he put up with my random strange drink requests. He had a large binder of recipe's printed from the internet that he handed to me whenever I walked through the door. Nice guy :P

I've been around the company of good tippers at least. My old roomates would drag me out at 2 am to have a meal at a Denny's or Lyons with a party of about 10 tattoo artists, strippers and bouncers. Theres a few nights where the tip left was $100 or so.

My SO recently dropped $50 at a deli to repay 4 months on non-tipping.

My mother's the only stingy person I know when it comes to tipping, and honestly I think that's because she never did CS, food service, or any of that.
                Last edited by SportinGoods; 02-10-2008, 08:04 AM.
                Girls do not exist on the intarweb.

Comment

Working...
                X