This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open your eyes and LOOK

Yes. The store IS expanding. That section of brand-new tile in the rear of the store is a pretty good indication, not to mention the fact that all of a sudden, it just seems a little more SPACIOUS in there than it has been for the last 30 years! I can't imagine why that is!

Anyway, my store is in the process of expanding. Because the people in corporate who designed the new layout of the store CLEARLY haven't worked a single day of retail (actual box-cutting, stocking of shelves, physical labor, occasionally getting one's hands dirty, helping of customers), and instead base their sole reasoning for what goes where on complete randomness, the store is getting rearranged completely. Only two departments are remotely close to where they were before. We're in the process of setting up new shelves and taking off items from their old spots and taking them to their new spots, etc. And where SHOULD the pharmacy be? Near the FRONT of the store where it would be simple and convenient for the elderly, you say? Oh no no no, that goes in the REAR of the store. But anyways.

Needless to say, it's chaos, and after having stuff in the same place for years on end, it's a little frustrating having things in different places now.

Anyway, despite the new layout, it is NOT THAT COMPLEX. Take a little walk, open your eyes, and LOOK!!!!! it's not that bad. During your little walk, guess what? *gasp* You will probably find exactly what it is you're looking for!!!!! And oh wait, there's more! In the process, you will also get a sneak preview of the final layout, so you will know where OTHER things are in the future!! Amazing what a little effort accomplishes, instead of getting a deer-in-the-headlights look, holding your hands in the air and helplessly whimpering "Where's this? Now where's this? And where did they move this to?" and simply standing in one place, completely ignoring those checkers up front with nothing to do and snatching up the next OBVIOUSLY BUSY AND HELPING SOMEONE ELSE worker on the floor to take you by the hand and point you to each and every single individual item. If someone moved your refrigerator 20 feet to the left, what, would you open your eyes and LOOK for it or would you helplessly stand there with your hands in the air whimpering "B-b-b-b-but it's not theeeeeeeeere!! Whoa is me! Where is it? Wherever did it go? I just can't find it! Where oh where is it?" and starve to death? How the hell can so many people be so helplessly dependent on others and still manage to dress themselves in the morning? Or breathe?

They're called "legs." They help you do something called "walking." USE THEM. Even in a store I have never been in before, I can usually find what I need by USING MY LEGS AND WALKING and actually using a little effing common sense once in a while - I only drag an employee away from what they're doing AS A LAST RESORT. I don't stand there at the backroom doorway with an assorted group of 10 other, equally helpless people and swarm all over the first employee that walks out. I LOOK for what I want first.

Now I understand that this is going to be part of the territory - to a point. However, the sheer magnitude of how many people can be THAT helpless and lazy is just completely mind-boggling. EVERY customer expects you to hold their little hand and personally lead them to every single item in their entire list.
    Think. It's not illegal yet.

Hey pharmacy girls here too!! snap!!

We have opened a new store recently with the otc medicines in front of the dispensary - the counter is bare with just a few displays on it. I don't know how many times people come to this counter to pay for their purchases when they have to walk straight pass the tills as they walk into the shop!!
    Seriously, do you see computer screens here? Do you see tills here? No so what do you expect me to do with the $20 you are handing me? Stick it in my pocket? What we need to do is hold their hand and take them to the doors where -oh my god where did they come from? - the bid computer screens are with signs flashing welcome to .......... pharmacy all over it! Where a girls is standing waiting to ring you up!!!

Comment

I have to say that when a store changes around it confuses me no end. I know where stuff is and I go straight to it. When I'm looking for what I want in a store I'm not familiar with I suffer from information overload and I can't find anything and get increasingly frustrated.

As for moving the pharmacy to the back - it means everyone who wants to pick up a prescription must pass through the store, therefore allowing them the means and opportunity to impulse buy.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I often wondered who the genius was that designed the layout of just about every Walgreen's I go into. The seasonal crap is right inside the door, inviting theft, the things you would think would be the best sellers at a "drug store" are along the far wall from the entrance and the pharmacy is all the way in the back of the store. Obviously this guy never had a headache, or had to walk 50 yards with 2 bad hips and a walker. I mean, I understand impulse buying, but that is a bit of an extreme to punish the people who are the bulk of your business.

And they might as well close up the drive-thru's. The stores are so understaffed that it's actually faster most times to go in to the pharmacy, even if you have a walker and two bad hips.

No offense to the pharm techs and Walgreens employees. it's not your fault.
        This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

yeah, when stores get changed up it also confuses me, recently the wal-mart i go to expanded and completely changed up where everything was. but hell froze over and they had a smart idea, near each entrance they put a large poster with a map on it showing you where the different sections are now. its positioned on an easel that you have to walk around to get into the rest of the store. I know SCs can't read, so im sure they got bombarded with questions, but it helped the rest of us.

Comment

What I hate in most stores are the signs. Most of them suck. Truly. I'm not kidding. Those signs above every aisle in grocery stores, useless.

If one isn't familiar with the layout of the store, it's sometimes hard to find "now where did the moron store planner decide to put X?"

The stores that have big, big signs that list almost every category of what they sell and the aisle on which they may be found: great stuff!

BTW, to the OP, not to be too harsh here ... but, if so many people are having trouble with the store's new layout ... maybe it's 'cause the layout sucks. Yours certainly wouldn't be the first store that blew chunks in that department.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

re the OPs comment on pharmacies being at the rear of the store...

If you have a RX then you have to walk past all the junk in the rest of the store just to get you drugs, its the ultimate advert to a captive audience.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

had something similar to that, but our store is small (not a drugstore, btw); granted, this might have been a bit mean of me, but if you don't see a condiment bar along that one wall (it's just shelving with merchandise), why would you think that it would be in the BACKROOM?

logic should tell you that it's at the other side of the store, which is visible when you walk in.

guy seemed to think that our backroom was a perfect place for it; i probably sighed a bit too loud, but damn, it's not that hard to figure out, if you actually THINK about it.

ok, grumpy rant over.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Why oh WHY do store planners need to periodically randomly rearrange everything? My local grocery store just did this and it has been nothing but trouble. The employees hate it, the customers hate it and the legions of meandering Oldsters are so overwhelmingly confused that they block even more aisles than they used to.

Here's an example of the new layout: Canned vegs have remained in the same place, next to them are canned beans and dry beans. However canned baked beans are now one aisle over, all by their lonesomes. Across from canned vegs are pastas and pasta sauces. Next to them are soups. Canned pastas like Spaghetti-o's and Chef Boyardee have been taken from their proper place between pasta and soup and banished to the aisle of confusement...right next to the outcast baked beans.

I still cannot find plain horseradish(not the creamy horseradish sauce) and so far none of the employees have directed me to the correct location either. Was it discontinued? Is there a reason it is no longer near its creamy cousin? Will this madness ever end?

Its not like the old layout was illogical. It took up no more room than the new layout. I mean, the aisles are in the same places, just the products have been shuffled around. I dunno. Eventually I will find the horseradish...I hope.

Wow, sorry for the giant rantosaurus.

Comment

Why oh WHY do store planners need to periodically randomly rearrange everything?
                    My store manager says it's to keep the store looking "fresh". I say it's to confuse people and trick them into buying more by taking the items they go in and out for, and moving them.

Which might explain moving a pharmacy, a high-traffic area, to the rear of the store. On the way there you'll pass more merchandise and maybe make a few impulse buys.

Also the suits are always trying to figure out if they can increase sales of certain items by moving them to different places next to different things. For example, eye drops and contact lens solution used to be in the pharmacy; now they're across from the optical department.

At my store the household supplies department (TP, laundry detergent, household cleaners and so forth) has been re-arranged three times in three years. HBA got completely switched around last fall. We've had people come into the store and complain that we switched all the departments around. That means they last visited us over 2 years ago, which is when everything got moved.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                      As for moving the pharmacy to the back - it means everyone who wants to pick up a prescription must pass through the store, therefore allowing them the means and opportunity to impulse buy.
                      This is exactly why in every grocery store you go to, you'll find the milk all they way at the back.

On the topic of aisle-signs: Most of the supermarkets I frequent are fairly well-signed, with easily-visible signs at both ends of each aisle (how useful the category listings are may vary). There is a very small Shoprite (like maybe half the size of the Shoprite near my parents' house) that I pass on my way home from work, which I don't usually go to since it's so tiny, but I was just wanting cough drops and massive amounts of OJ (sniffle sniffle cough) and it's the easiest to get in and out of, so I went there. I decided to get some soup, too, and I was at the back end of the store...I looked up for signs to find which aisle soup would be in, and there were no signs at that end! None! They only have the front end of each aisle signed. That does not help me when I don't want to be going up and down every aisle.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

They just rearranged our store, moving the same stuff around. One Example of the stupidity. We used to have most of our canned/bottled beverages on one aisle, Soda and carbonated stuff on one side and bottled water and juices on the other side. Sports drinks were on the next aisle over. The soda and bottled water didn't move but everything else did. Juices were three aisled down, by them selves. Sports drinks were moved to the front and more bottled water was added, the "specialty" Evain stuff. Some of the changes were good, most were OK and the rest were the dumbest things anyone could do.

Comment

Our store went through a remodel/expansion 2½ years ago and except for groceries, fashions and garden center, every other dept has been moved to a new location. The pharmacy, which used to be in the back, is now up front along with HBC (Health/Beauty/Cosmetics) which used to be right next to groceries.

The layout really sucks because now, if you want to pick up toothpaste and deoderant while grocery shopping, you have to go all the way across the store for those items. Customers are still complaining about it to this day and our older shoppers expect us to go get these items for them.

Our small appliances, hair dryers, curling irons, etc. used to be covered by the associates in jewelry. Now HBC handles the hair dryers & curling irons and other small appliances such as toaster ovens are covered by Home Fashions. When I'm covering jewelry I still get calls from SCs with questions about these small appliances. When I tell them jewelry no longer covers them, they will actually argue with me about it claiming they just spoke to someone from jewelry regarding a blender just a week or so ago.

I hate the way the store is laid out. It makes absolutely no sense and SCs still can't find anything 2½ years after the remodel.

Retail Haiku:
                          Depression sets in.
                          The hellhole is calling me ~
                          I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                            This could also be why in most supermarkets I've seen, the produce is on the far right or left of the store. Except for Raley's, which is just bizarre to begin with, with their rebellious carts and strange placement of the deli. Their produce is right in the middle of the store, encompassed by the booze section. Who knows maybe they are trying to promote healthy eating.
                            Girls do not exist on the intarweb.

Comment

Working...
                            X