This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know what to do anymore

My phone was cut off for non-payment today, so I had to pay $117 to turn it back on. Got word today that I have no more unemployment benefits. Tried to log on to the California unemployment website to see if there are other claims I could file, but their system won't let me log on OR register. The stress caused my back to go out again, so I spent about an hour screaming in pain every 5 minutes before a housemate was able to come in and bring me my cane and an ice pack. i can pay this month's rent by borrowing money from my bank. And then nothing.

I don't know what to do. I've applied for so many jobs I've lost count, and heard back from none of them. I've gone through TWO unemployment agencies, both of which have refused to return my calls after I got registered. I don't know what to do anymore. I make and sell my ponies as fast as I can, but I'm exhausted and they don't bring in enough money to cover my rent, much less everything else.

I just don't know what to do anymore.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Joi, I don't really have much advice, but I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Have you tried online survey sites? I belong to three, and I occasionally get a little money from them. It's not much, and I think it was over a year before I got anything, but it only costs time.

I've also been looking at, but haven't applied to, Zirtual, which is an online personal assistant kind of thing. As far as I can tell, they're legit, but I haven't done that much research.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I can recommend Opinion Outpost. It doesn't make much (if you take most of the surveys you can get $10 a week). Not much but it will help. You'll have to have a Paypal but you can send it to your bank account.

I also recommend Amazon's Mechanical Turk, which is mostly <10 cent tasks but if you've not much else to do, and you have time, it can be okay work. And you can transfer it right into your bank account.

Instagc is just for gift cards, but they can come in handy. IE Pizza Hut, Amazon, etc. (There's even a few to places like Comcast and Verizon)
      Last edited by Tama; 05-06-2013, 11:52 PM.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Are you willing to do tutoring? There are plenty of online tutoring gigs (I'm currently trying to get in with tutors.com). That might be something.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
          Are you willing to do tutoring? There are plenty of online tutoring gigs (I'm currently trying to get in with tutors.com). That might be something.
          That's a thought...but I wonder if my lack of a college degree will work against me.
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

I hate to suggest this but have you tried McDonalds?
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Tutors.com hires college students. So I doubt your lack of degree would be a problem. You just have to clear their pre-tests first for the subjects you want to tutor.

I'll also say, depending on which subjects you apply for, it might be a while before you start (I started the process in January and just came off the wait list last week). But as long as you're out of high school, it shouldn't be a problem.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Ugh. And just now, I lost a part of another tooth. I haven't been able to afford dental care in a long time, and since I inherited my dad's crazy-weak enamel, they've fallen apart pretty fast. At least 3 teeth need major reconstructive work done, and 1 is sure to need replacing. I feel hideous and ashamed, but don't know what to do. I wouldn't be surprised if it's part of the problem I've had finding work...

Comment

Possibly but I doubt it. There's a lot of research that shows that businesses are discriminating against those without jobs. That's the bigger issue.
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                    Have you tried online survey sites? I belong to three, and I occasionally get a little money from them. It's not much, and I think it was over a year before I got anything, but it only costs time.
                    ...over a year? You are on the *wrong* websites.

Quoth Tama View Post
                    I can recommend Opinion Outpost. It doesn't make much (if you take most of the surveys you can get $10 a week). Not much but it will help. You'll have to have a Paypal but you can send it to your bank account.

Instagc is just for gift cards, but they can come in handy. IE Pizza Hut, Amazon, etc. (There's even a few to places like Comcast and Verizon)
                    OO's got low payouts, and not so good crediting. Bleg.

InstaGC's awesome. I love the owner to pieces
                    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                      ...over a year? You are on the *wrong* websites.
                      Which ones should I be on?
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        Which ones should I be on?
                        I'll PM you a few of my faves, but seriously, whoever pulled that number on you...tell me. That's so not cool of them.
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Joi, I live half a continent away so I have no idea what's available in your area ... but I just registered with a local organization called the Unemployed Help Centre. It offers workshops, a food bank, a wide variety of programs, the use of computers and a printer, the local newspaper ...

Is there anything similar in your area? A sort of one-stop-shopping help centre for job-seekers? Would this help at all? (It opens as a .pdf)

Is there a phone number you can call to ask why you can't access the California unemployment website?

That is a scary situation to be in. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

Comment

When I was in your state I got medical due to low income. Maybe dental is available? If you can physically handle it, I agree with the fast food idea. It's not fun but will buy rent and groceries.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

www.3playmedia.com. If they are hiring, pass their transcription test and you are good to go. They pay monthly by the amount of minutes transcribed. Basically, they have software that auto transcribes audio files, but doesn't do it perfectly. Your job would be to edit the files for accuracy, grammar, and punctuation. It's not easy, but you can make a few hundred or more a week if you work hard at it and the work is available. And summer tends to be busy since there are business conventions (that record their meetings,) and schools make promotional videos, all sorts of stuff going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X