Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another option, much as you may hate it, is straight up welfare--Section 8 housing, if it's available, food stamps, electricity assistance, the works. Speak to a social worker and see what you qualify for.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
      I'll PM you a few of my faves, but seriously, whoever pulled that number on you...tell me. That's so not cool of them.
      Most of the sites I'm already on are focus group sites. So it was over a year before I was both qualified to do one, and all the spots weren't filled. They give me points for surveys, etc, but not that many.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        When I was in your state I got medical due to low income. Maybe dental is available? If you can physically handle it, I agree with the fast food idea. It's not fun but will buy rent and groceries.
        I considered it, but my back really won't let me stand up for very long, move very quickly, or lift anything over a few pounds. Which drives me NUTS, but it's just the case right now.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I can do all that, except the lifting. I have a terrible back, too.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
            www.3playmedia.com. If they are hiring, pass their transcription test and you are good to go. They pay monthly by the amount of minutes transcribed. Basically, they have software that auto transcribes audio files, but doesn't do it perfectly. Your job would be to edit the files for accuracy, grammar, and punctuation. It's not easy, but you can make a few hundred or more a week if you work hard at it and the work is available. And summer tends to be busy since there are business conventions (that record their meetings,) and schools make promotional videos, all sorts of stuff going on.
            Interesting! They require a college degree, which I don't have (I have equivalent hours, but no degree), but I'll try anyway. Surely my 3+ years of professional copywriting and editing count for something?
            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Yes! Do eeet! Joi, just want you to know I said a prayer for you and I believe in your intelligence and talent.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                Surely my 3+ years of professional copywriting and editing count for something?
                Sometimes experience is worth more than a degree. Especially with that case.

Go for it, I'll be praying for ya, Joi. /huuuugggs
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Joi, you have no idea how badly I wish I was you lived closer to me, or that I was out there (and that's saying something. I am not usually a fan of the west coast.) I hate being far away from someone I consider a friend and not being able to help them.

Seraph and the others have tossed out some ideas concerning online income possibilities. Hopefully something will pan out (I know that if *I* was doing hiring, I count experience more heavily than a sheepskin, but that's me.)

As for the dental situation, have you checked with any local dental colleges, or possibly here: http://www.freedentalcare.us/ci/ca-la_mirada? A frined of mine with a LOT worse dental issues than you (yes, I mean that) used a local dental college for what amounted to pretty much full jaw reconstruction and replacement teeth and it worked out pretty well.

If I think of anything else that might help, I'll let you know.
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I should warn you, based on personal experience it won't be full time income. My advice is to find another transcription site or maybe two so you can spread out your work and manage to do full time. I had a thread a while back about legit work from home jobs--anyone want to pull that up and post a link? Some of those links should still be valid...

Comment

It's a bit of a long shot, since they hire in mainly the Pacific NW, but you could also try www.answerconnect.com. They also go by the name Voicecurve and A-CTI. They do work from jobs answering phones for an answering service from home. They send you a phone that you connect to your internet connection and then they help you remote download software to connect you to their phone system so they can direct calls to you. Hope that helps!

Comment

Do tech colleges around there offer services at a lower cost done by students?

Around here, you can get your teeth cleaned/examined and get the basics done for a lot cheaper by dental students under supervision.

That's what all of our temps do at work, because they don't have benefits yet. Usually, they can get their exam and teeth cleanings done for less than $30.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Also, you might want to see if you can get a mouth guard for when you sleep (tough given your financial situation granted). The stress of the job search and other issues is possibly making you tense and clenching/grinding your teeth while you sleep, which wouldn't help your dental situation.

As for the actual job search, sadly I have no advice to offer there.

Comment

Any updates? Did you get a job?

Comment

Working...
                            X