This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog, the methane plant

Strider has been an indoor dog for about the past year or so now. Up until then he was outdoors, which I'm assuming is why we never noticed this before. He has gas. Bad gas. Most of the time it smells like skunk spray, and he has at least every other day, all day, sometimes all night. It doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort, he's a very happy dog and has never met anyone he didn't like.

I've switched all the dogs to a grain-free food now, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference for him. (Possible TMI now) I've also known him to take enormous dumps, especially while exercising. As in, he'll do his regular one first thing in the morning, and then stop 2-3 times during a 40 minute walk and drop two more huge piles. This seems contradictory to a grain-free diet.

He's due for his yearly vet visit in a few weeks, so I'll ask then, but is there anything else I can do to help him out here? Like I said it doesn't seem to bother him, he actually seems quite content to lie next to my bed or next to me on the couch with his butt pointed at me, tooting away contentedly or assaulting me with the Silent But Deadlies. If it's too noxious or lasts too long, I might give him a simethicone gelcap once in a blue moon.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

The unfamous David Roth (no Lee) performs "Air Of The Dog" on his album "Irreconcilable Similarities" ... which can be found on spotify, mog, or other music sources ...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Had two dogs that did this in memory (thankfully I don't have a sense of smell but poor Mom...) one had it caused by a allergen to gluten, the other had no known cause.

Comment

My pooch also likes to gas us. I've found that if I give him a teaspoon of plain yoghurt that has probiotic cultures, it decreases the stink bombs by about 90%. So it could be a gut flora thing maybe?
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Hmm, yogurt is fairly cheap. A tub of Activia could be worth a try.

Comment

My dog had similar problems. We switched her to a Lamb & Rice dog food, that helped a lot.

It also reminds me of a specific episode of All Creatures Great And Small...
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              My dog had similar problems. We switched her to a Lamb & Rice dog food, that helped a lot.

It also reminds me of a specific episode of All Creatures Great And Small...

Cedric the Boxer? I didn't see the episode, but I remember it in the Doc's book

Comment

I've read about some methane-burning vehicles where the fuel source was described as "CNG". From your post, I'm guessing that this is an abbreviation for (C)anine (N)oxious (G)as.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                  Cedric the Boxer? I didn't see the episode, but I remember it in the Doc's book
                  Yes, that's the one. They changed it slightly in the TV show, had Cedric owned my Mrs. Pumphrey (Tricki Woo's owner), but it was still quite funny to watch. Especially when Cedric trashes the elegant dinner party.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen any of that show, but the story in the book was hilarious.

Dog: <blaatppt>.
                    Tristan: "Speak on, sweet lips that never told a lie!"
                    Dog's owner:

Comment

Well, I totally understand. Part of taking care of a dog is monitoring the frequency & consistency of their ... dog-logs. It's how my BF & I plan our pooch's food sometimes, whether she needs a little more moisture or a little less.

To be honest I've never heard of grain-free being used to combat dog-gas. I thought it was for dogs with allergies to the grains commonly used in dog food.

If anything we've always noticed a correlation between stinky dog-logs and the amount of protein. Or the kind of food. If she's been getting a lot of protein then she stinks more. (and let's just say she's banned from pork femur bones... not just because of stinky output but because her breath stank too! bleh)

Right now we have her on Blue Buffalo diet kibble ... um "Life Protection Formula Healthy Weight" (had to look it up). Since we switched her to the lower-calorie food, she goes about once a day. And sometimes - maybe once every couple of weeks or so we give her a canned too (usually Merrick) - half the can mixed with a touch of kibble, and then the next half the next day.

When we first got her, I remember sniffing the air and asking, "Was that you?" "No... o man that has to be the dog!" It was pretty ripe. They were feeding her some lamb-kibble.

These days she still has gas but ... no stink really. The only reason we know she still farts is that we sometimes hear the little "pfft" of air.

Comment

Working...
                      X