Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weirdest thing you've ever done over an open fire?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not weird, but my favorite meal to cook over an open fire is this chicken and veggie dish. You take a bit of foil, lay down a slice of onion, put the chicken breast over the onion, put potatoes, carrots, diced onion, celery and a little gravy and seasonings of your choice over the chicken, wrap the whole thing in the foil and toss into the coals until done. Yum.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

This is one of my favorite camping recipes I modified for the oven. Just throw in on the coals when you fold it all up for camp cooking.

Roasted Garlic and Chicken in Foil

Canola or olive oil nonstick cooking spray
      2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
      Black pepper to taste
      Seasoning salt to taste (optional)
      2 teaspoons olive oil
      6 garlic cloves, peeled
      1/2 onion, sliced thin
      1 1/2 medium sized carrots (or 1 large), sliced thin
      1 medium potato, peeled and sliced thin (or use a sweet potato)
      1 oregano or other herb of your choice
      2 tablespoons dry white wine, champagne, apple juice, or chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put a 2 1/2-foot-long piece of foil in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Coat top of foil with nonstick cooking spray.
      Lay chicken breasts in the middle of foil. Sprinkle tops with pepper and seasoning salt to taste, if desired. Put olive oil in a small cup. Peel garlic cloves and dip in oil. Drop 3 garlic cloves evenly over each chicken breast.
      Lay onion slices over the chicken. Spread carrots, then potato slices, over the top. Sprinkle each piece with oregano. Drizzle remaining olive oil over the chicken, then drizzle with wine.

Fold foil over to wrap chicken and vegetable mixture well. Bake for 1 hour or until done. Cut into center of chicken to make sure chicken is cooked through.

To serve, make sure every portion has a chicken breast and a sampling of the various vegetables. Drizzle some of the juices over the top.

To double this recipe, make two foil-wrapped chicken-and-vegetable packages. They will both fit in the 9 by 13-inch baking pan and will still bake for 1 hour.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post

I don't go camping as much as I'd like to any more. I should set up a fire ring in the back yard.
        Do what my uncle did. He cut a metal drum in half, welded legs to it, put the wood and coals in that and voila-instant fire!

Quoth Seraph View Post
        Hm, I've never tried anything over an open fire before. I'll have to experiment <_<

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        I've baked bread in an open fire...well not over it, but definitely in it. Whip up a basic bread recipe, put the dough into a dutch oven, and push the dutch oven into the fire. Let it bake for about 20-30 minutes and you're usually good to go. Okay, so the crust might be a little crispy but it still tastes good...or at least mine did!
        OK, I've heard the term dutch oven before in the gross sense (the one involving farting!), but what is a dutch oven exactly?

Quoth XCashier View Post
        I seem to remember opening a hole in the top of an orange, carefully scooping out the fruit, pouring cake batter inside the peel and cooking it in the campfire. Got sort of an orange-flavored cupcake-like treat.
        Hmm....I might do a set of cake mixes and put them in to see what happens. Orange-flavoured chocolate cake anyone?

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Carefully open banana (in peel). Slit the actual banana. Add chocolate, marshmallows, etc. Replace peel. (use foil only if necessary.)

Heat beside coals until peel is black but not burned. Retrieve with tongs, wait impatiently until cooled enough to handle.
        How does open a banana in the peel without pulling it apart completely?

Quoth JPD View Post
        The only think I've actually cooked over a fire is marshmallows for s'mores.
        One day I had a bowl of tortilla chips next to the fire to snack on for those that wanted something salty instead of something sweet. When I brought the bowl of chips in it had a nice smokey flavor, that I plan on duplicating soon.
        Oooh, now I HAVE to try this!

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how it turns out when I get the chance.

So far on my shortlist of things to try is...

-Salt n Vinegar flavoured potato chips, Grain Waves and Plain Potato Chips (Grain Waves=wholegrain chips, which come in sweet chili, sour cream/onion, cheese and plain)

-The orange cupcake thingy.

-The apple in the fire.

-The banana thing.

-If I can get hold of one, I will also probably try the dutch-oven bread.

As for campfire food, I've done the following meals at the medieval fair:

-Beef and stout stew (as in the beer yes)
        -Apple bacon.
        -Nettle soup (Ok, didn't try this one...)
        -Rotisserie-style lamb/beef (the meat du jour this year was goat, the general public thought it was dog )
        -oatcakes (to a point)
        -porridge.
        -turkish coffee (not 100% sure how this worked exactly. It looked a little bit like roofing tar, but actually tasted nice. It was quite an experience having it from a drinking horn )

I might have to suggest the idea of a campfire cookoff to our resident chefs at the medieval group. One did it as a career before becoming a tech support guru, the other does it purely as a hobby (the running joke with her is that she was Italian in a past life because everytime we go to her house, she cooks for an army even though there might be 10-15 of us )
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Scallops and shrimp.
          I've cooked shrimp on skewers over a fire. I didn't mention it because I didn't think it was weird. LOL

Blackened? No. I think the word for that is "caramelized."
          I was thinking that, but "carmelized" suggests a carmel color. This was BLACK.

Quoth kpzra View Post
          Roasted Garlic and Chicken in Foil
          That sounds yummy. I have to try it.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
            I've baked bread in an open fire...well not over it, but definitely in it. Whip up a basic bread recipe, put the dough into a dutch oven, and push the dutch oven into the fire. Let it bake for about 20-30 minutes and you're usually good to go. Okay, so the crust might be a little crispy but it still tastes good...or at least mine did!
            *Ahem*

Yes, I make it frequently and it's really good even done in the oven. I recommend going 24 hours rising time instead of the 18 suggested to give it a better flavour.

With a couple of modifications it also makes for a decent pizza dough.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I mentioned this thread to my mother, and she piped up with "All I've ever seen you do over an open fire was stuff three marshmallows onto the end of a stick, light them all on fire, and then pretend to run in slowmo and hum 'Chariots of Fire'."

Apparently I started at an early age.
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                OK, I've heard the term dutch oven before in the gross sense (the one involving farting!), but what is a dutch oven exactly?

I have one of these dutch ovens. This is the dedicated camping set I have.
                Last edited by kpzra; 06-06-2013, 07:55 PM. Reason: My tracking number is not a link

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                  I mentioned this thread to my mother, and she piped up with "All I've ever seen you do over an open fire was stuff three marshmallows onto the end of a stick, light them all on fire, and then pretend to run in slowmo and hum 'Chariots of Fire'."

Apparently I started at an early age.
                  This explains a lot actually.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

At summer camp, we skewered and cooked sourdough over a fire in the fireplace because it was raining.
                    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
                    X