This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life on the Train

Well, I've been in Seward about a month now. It's a beautiful little town. The locals are friendly and the view is spectacular. It rains a lot but it's usually a soft, gentle rain.

I share an apartment with four other women. They all have their quirks, but I like them all. A couple of women like to go fishing. They went on a fishing expedition and caught some halibut a couple weeks ago. That made a really yummy meal. We still have a bunch in the freezer too, so there will be more yummy meals to come.

The job itself is a lot of fun. Each car has a cook and a bartender. The bartender handles the drinks and the food orders along with giving the tour. I make the food, help serve it, and help bus the tables. The food itself is pretty simple fare, soup and sandwiches.

We have a northbound and southbound run. Northbound we pick the passengers up from the cruise ship and take them either to the Anchorage Airport, the Anchorage Depot, or to Talkeetna depending on the day. Southbound, we take the passengers down to the cruise ship, drop them off, finish cleaning, and go home. The shifts range from 14 to 20 hours depending on the day so the overtime is pretty sweet.

Most of the passengers are pretty cool. Occasionally, we'll get some annoying ones, but over all they're pretty fun. Yesterday's southbound run had some awesome passengers. We only had about 50 in the car, but they were all a great bunch. We use the clock system on the train and I so burst out laughing when I heard some of them yell "People 3 o'clock!" when they saw some people outside the windows.

I think this is going to be a great summer. I have limited wifi so I won't be on much, but I'm thinking of everyone.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

You sound like you are having an awesome time and have a great job. I am seriously jealous since I love train travel. Any chance you can post pictures?

Comment

Sweeeet!!!! Oh that IS a beautiful land - especially with that awesome view of the mountains in the winter.

Oh and bald eagles - you can see them out over the water! And reindeer sausages! You can even buy the pelts in some of the shops downtown. I named my pelt Rudolph.

Sadly though... my pelt and photos from there are in my storage unit. We weren't there very long anyway - just a few days. But I still remember seeing the snow and sunlight hitting those mountains.

Comment

Working...
      X