This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock/key question

Can one get copies of a key that opens a barrel-type lock? We have one set of keys at work, and I'm being paranoid.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Yes. Not at Home Depot or similar, but an actual locksmith could make something up.

Comment

Locksmith here.........

PM me with the numbers and letters (or anything it says) on the head of the key and I'll let you know yay or nay and what to ask for.

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
        Locksmith here.........
        Another lock-related question: Does Weiser still make deadbolts that don't use the "StoopidKey" instant resetting (all the ones I've seen at the big box stores recently have it), or if I wanted some would I have to find someplace that still has inventory of the old ones?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Another lock-related question: Does Weiser still make deadbolts that don't use the "StoopidKey" instant resetting (all the ones I've seen at the big box stores recently have it), or if I wanted some would I have to find someplace that still has inventory of the old ones?
          It appears that they do still make them but at the very least, some locksmiths may have an inventory. Also if that doesn't work, try and get a hold of contracting companies. They often seem to have older supplies (they seem to keep offering them on the new buildings my job is having built) and depending on their policies, might be willing to sell them. Also if it's worth it to you, you could always check places like eBay or something and then have it rekeyed after to ensure someone doesn't have a key copy and your address.
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            I wasn't aware that Weiser even had a instant re-setting key available (havn't been to Home Depot in a while). All my books are showing standard pin-tumbler cylinders for Weiser.
            A locksmith should be able to get you a Weiser lock with a standard cylinder, they are still available.

PSA: The 'Insta-re-key' locks that Schlage had are being discontinued. Seems there has been nothing but trouble with them.

Comment

Sorry to pile on, but how about Kwikset Smartkey? Have you heard any issues with them?

(I have the electronic keypad/smartkey deadbolt).

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
                Also if it's worth it to you, you could always check places like eBay or something and then have it rekeyed after to ensure someone doesn't have a key copy and your address.
                Even if I didn't rekey, a sticky-fingered seller would have nothing but trouble - the locks are intended as a gift for someone who lives in an area where THE hardware store keeps a copy of any key that they make. They'd have my address, but not the address of where the locks were used. I would rekey anyway - this person wants a few groupings of keyed-alike locks.

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                I wasn't aware that Weiser even had a instant re-setting key available (havn't been to Home Depot in a while). All my books are showing standard pin-tumbler cylinders for Weiser.
                A locksmith should be able to get you a Weiser lock with a standard cylinder, they are still available.
                It's called "SmartKey", the cylinder itself is slightly larger in diameter than a conventional one, and there's a small rectangular hole next to the keyway. You put the key in, turn it part way, insert the programming tool in the extra hole, pull out the key, and insert the key you want to re-key it to.

I don't like the idea - too complicated a mechanism, and can you imagine the school bully stealing a kid's key and locking the family out of their own home as a joke? It's probably also harder to master-key locks on this system, so that would be a reason to keep the conventional ones around.

Thanks everyone for the answers.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The 'smartkey' was originally used in Kwickset, but since Kwickset and Weiser are owned by the same parent company I can see that SmartKey cylinder are also available on Weiser. We don't deal much with Weiser.

Lachrymose, The Kwickset SmartKey cylinders seem to have less problems than the Schlage ones.

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X