This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directions Via Starbucks Locations & More

Some tidbits from the past week at the Bread Co.

Directions Via Starbucks Locations

Me: Hiiiiii
    OL: Odd Lady

*ring*ring*
    Me: The Bread Co., CustardChick speaking, how my I help you?
    OL: Are you guys the Bread Co. by the Starbucks?
    Me: No, we're at the cross of This Street and That Road.
    OL: Oh, well I'm looking for the Bread Co. by the Starbucks. It's in a stripmall and there's a Starbucks near it.
    Me: There's a Starbucks down the street a ways, but not near us. We're at This Street and That Road.
    OL: Well there's a Starbucks buy the one I'm looking for, and this other store, and this one too.
    Me: There's no Starbucks in our strip mall. There's a Best Buy and a Trader Joe's in the same strip mall as us, but no Starbucks.
    OL: Oh... Well I'm looking for the one by the Starbucks...
    Me: That's not us.
    OL: Well, do you know where that one is.
    Me: No.
    OL: Oh... Ok then. *hangs up*

What. The. HELL?! *headwall*

You're All The Same!

So this woman comes up and cuts off my polite greeting with a tirade about calling my location, talking to manager and how she didn't have her receipt then, but she found it now, then goes on about how she ordered a sandwich from us and it tasted "bitter" and made her sick. I smile at her and tell her I'll grab a manager seeing as I had no idea when she wanted.

My manager comes up front and talks with her. Of course, she wants to be compensated for something. She hands him a receipt and I see him stare at it for a moment with a confused stare and a furrowed brow. The receipt she gave him was from another location about 20 minutes away from the one I worked at.

He mentions this and she sputters, "Well I'm not driving all the way over there! I'm here now! You're both the Bread Co.! What's the difference!"

Unfortunately I don't know the ending to this one, but she bothered me enough to mention it here. :P

Wait...What?

This probably goes in General Work Chat or something, but since I'm already here I'll just type it here.

I was closing with my GM the other night and we fall into chatting about what I'm up to right now. I graduated college in '07 and had an internship for 5 months this year, but currently haven't found a full-time job in my field (graphic design) - hence the reason I'm at The Bread Co.

So he starts talking about her got into management at TBCo. and slips into discussing the positions of Shift Supervisor and Assistant Manager, and how AM's at The Bread Co. make about 45,000/year. Then he shrugs his shoulders, gives me a smile and said, "I just think you should keep that in mind."

I kinda give him a sidelong look and asked, "Are you saying that I'd be good in management?"

Again, a shoulder shrug and a smile, "You should just keep it in mind."

I've been thinking about it a lot since that conversation and I know I'd be pretty good in management. I'm good at what I do. I'm friendly and knowledgeable and can train others. I may be a bit whiny and there are times I get over stressed and freak out, but they are few and far between, and the whiny bouts can be attributed to my age (23) (and the fact that I can still get away with it ).

And the more I think about it, the more I really wouldn't mind it. I mean, I'm not giving up my hunt for a GD job, but if the job pool stays as dry as it has been, then I know that Shift Supervisor position will look better and better everyday and I wouldn't mind staying a freelance designer.

So we'll see... But I just wanted to share that.

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
    Unfortunately I don't know the ending to this one, but she bothered me enough to mention it here. :P
    If she got her money back from your location, I recommend you slather your manager in honey and leave him out for the bears.

My uncle keeps bees, so I could provide the honey.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
      If she got her money back from your location, I recommend you slather your manager in honey and leave him out for the bears.
      nah bears are quick-stake them out for the ants
      Ants take smaller bites.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Again, a shoulder shrug and a smile, "You should just keep it in mind.".......

And the more I think about it, the more I really wouldn't mind it. I mean, I'm not giving up my hunt for a GD job, but if the job pool stays as dry as it has been, then I know that Shift Supervisor position will look better and better everyday and I wouldn't mind staying a freelance designer.

So we'll see... But I just wanted to share that.
        There is NOTHING wrong with taking a good paying job - even though its not in your field - and still looking for jobs in your field. Just don't get comfy!
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

My father had a friend: I believe they'd met in college.
          This guy had gotten a job as a bag boy at the local grocery store when he was in high school, then transferred to a store near the college he attended. When he got his degree, he discovered that entry-level positions in his field payed less than he made as a bag boy, given his seniority and the union's mandatory seniority pay raises.
          So, he stayed in school and went for his Masters. But he also kept working the job, gaining seniority. I think you can predict what that meant.
          By the time he got his PhD, starting pay for PhDs in his field was only slightly less than he was making, and he hadn't ever wanted to be a bag boy his whole life. On the other hand, if he stuck around for just a few more years he could retire from the grocery store (having worked for the company for 20 years) and take up work in his field then.

All that time he thought he was a (Biologist? Philosopher? I really don't know) who was just bagging groceries while he was in school, it turns out he was a professional Bag Boy who was going to school as a hobby.

Life doesn't always go the way you planned it. In fact, my experience is it rarely does.

Comment

Regarding the Starbucks tale, I can tell you I used to work for the Almighty Siren and many people would call us instead of Information. Alas, they would become either angry or confused when we finally made them understand we could not get them the phone number or location of Carol's Hair Boutique or the Blockbuster 7 miles away from us. When I would initially inform them they had called a Starbucks (it was also in my phone greeting), they would say "I know.". Apparently, they just felt I should have this information handy. One fellow kept me on the phone for almost half hour insisting I must know where there was an internet cafe he could go to at 11:00 pm at night. I used to wonder if other stores went through this nonsense, I see that they do.

The lady who wished to be compensated for her sandwich, I hope she was not compensated.

If you go into management, keep your spine strong. I also don't see why you can't go into management while looking for work in your chosen field.
            "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
            George Carlin

Comment

Hey, if the opportunity arises, and you think you would be reasonably happy doing it, I say go for it. And the fact that your manager is the one that brought it up to you is a good sign that he'll back you. If something great comes along in your field, go for that, but if not, you'll be making better money at the very least, and possibly work your way up and find out that you love it.

My boss majored in English and Philosophy. After college he worked for Other Bookstore chain, and eventually found himself in the finance department of My Bookstore chain. He's now a Director. He loves his job and makes good money, doing nothing remotely close to what he went to school for. (For that matter, I also majored in English and now work in Finance. Still trying to figure that one out....)

Quoth Whyme
              Apparently, they just felt I should have this information handy.
              I was once covering in the music department and ended up answering the phone after several rings. The caller wanted the number for the Starbucks that is attached to the store (but is not a Store Cafe). She was all mad that I didn't know the number off the top of my head and couldn't understand why I didn't know the number. "But they're right next door!! How can you not know the number??!!" Uh, cuz they're right next door? I don't need to call them??
              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-25-2008, 11:54 PM.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
              X