X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the hell is this even legal?

Hey folks,

You remember how I've been waiting for my GF get released from Phys. therapy?

(She's in Birmingham, AL...I'm in Cincinnati for now)

Well her social worker has been helping us to find an apartment near GF's home hometown (Auburn, AL) and approximately a year ago had found one and had paid the landlord $600 to hold it for us. GF is supposed to be released in Nov.

Well guess what?

We just got shit on!

Landlord is now claiming he was never paid and has rented the apt to another tenant. GF is disabled and landlord knew this....this has to be some form of discrimination.

SW is going to court Monday to see what can be done...meantime, I'm damn near inconsolable. I'll update next time I know something.

Edit: It gets even better....the apt got rented to another disabled woman. So at bare minimum it's breach of contract. I want this person (landlord) to pay so bad! (legally, that is.)
    Last edited by dendawg; 04-06-2012, 12:27 AM.

To answer the question in your title, that all depends on who screwed up. You will have to wait for all the evidence to be revealed. If the landlord did not get paid as he claims, it would probably be within his rights. If he did get paid, it is breach of contract.

Good luck.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Does the social worker have a receipt for the payment? Was there any kind of written agreement that the landlord would hold the apt for your GF? Either one of those things could be helpful.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Does the social worker have a receipt for the payment? Was there any kind of written agreement that the landlord would hold the apt for your GF? Either one of those things could be helpful.
        According to GF, signed AND notarized.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
          According to GF, signed AND notarized.

That's really good and should speed up the process a lot.

Sucks hardcore for your GF, but if the landlord is that sneaky to rent a reserved apartment (if the guy remembered the arrangement and did it anyway), who knows what else he'd do. It might be a blessing in disguise.

I hope it all works out in the end and she finds a great place.

Comment

I hope things work out, but it seems like you have good evidence so far. Maybe he figured it would be a short-term lease and you guys would never even find out.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The plot thickens....

Were we (GF and I) to move in, we'd be the only couple. Turns out that landlord loves to rent seemingly exclusively to young women, and allegedly comes and goes unannounced to the apartments while they're out for whatever reason. I personally have never been totally on my own and rented, but I know my rights as a tenant. I would never let any landlord come and go without notifying.

Sadly, SW cannot talk to any tenants and attempt to figure out why he is doing any of this. But if even half of this crap is true, then it makes me glad...if extremely depressed...that it came out now.
              Last edited by dendawg; 04-07-2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                Turns out that landlord loves to rent seemingly exclusively to young women, and allegedly comes and goes unannounced to the apartments while they're out for whatever reason.
                It might be completely unjustified of me, and there's no way to know without knowing more details, but that just screams "creep!" to me. Urgh.
                I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

From what it sounds you may be better off finding someplace else and I agree - he's ranking high on the creep scale.
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I've assisted in management of apartment complexes as well as been on maintenance staff.
                    Legally you can NEVER enter an apartment without a direct request from the tenant or 3 days notice in writing and a valid reason (such as a yearly inspection). Anything else -short of a court ordered eviction - is considered illegal entry under renters rights laws.

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                      ...a valid reason (such as a yearly inspection).
                      Check your laws. In many states, a yearly inspection is not a valid reason to enter a tenant's property. California, for one, does not include that on the list.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X