This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important

How long does it take for Police to come when something that is a non emergency is phoned through the emergency line? Does anyone know?

It can be anywhere from 20 minutes or so up to more than a day if they ever show up at all. It depends on what was reported mainly.

As for reporting a non emergency through an emergency line, it's possible depending on what the situation was, that whoever made the call might wind up being charged for it (either simply fined, or have actual charges brought on them).
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It's hard to say. Depends on where you live, if there's any emergencies at that time that take priority, how far away they are, how big the department is, etc.

When I called in a theft at the store after it happened, it was still almost 90 minutes later when I gave up. I called back and told them I'd come in to file. Took me 20 minutes to get there and 5 to file the report. It was my purse that was stolen otherwise I'd have left it up to the bosses.

Quoth Kittish View Post
      It can be anywhere from 20 minutes or so up to more than a day if they ever show up at all. It depends on what was reported mainly.

As for reporting a non emergency through an emergency line, it's possible depending on what the situation was, that whoever made the call might wind up being charged for it (either simply fined, or have actual charges brought on them).

Here, our 911 is like an automative service at first. It directs your call so I was able to get through the police department. It asks location and stuff like that.

When I called 911 in 2004 for my mom, I was swearing like a sailor at the damn machine because I thought it gave me a live person right away and I felt like I was wasting precious time.

I don't know if it's still like that since the theft was in 2008, but I'm not about to dial and try just in case XD.
      Last edited by Ree; 04-06-2012, 10:51 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts

Comment

Ah. Well the Woman upstairs we ape shit yesterday and was screaming and shouting (which sad to say was a norm) but was eventually hitting her partner (or ex-partner who was living there to support his kids) with a wench in front of the children as he went to them to comfort them when mommy was acting like a screaming banshee.

He went to file a police report and took the kids with him as they were still terror fied of their mother (they are both between the ages of 3-7) and she came out and said they could come back. When told they wanted to stay with their dad, she accused him of brain washing them and said she'd phone the police about him kidnapping them (Though you can't kidnap your own kids). I just wanted to know so I could go out there is they showed up to tell them the other side of the story.

Comment

It's hard to say in that case, too.

It depends on what she told them, if they asked the right questions, did they find the police report from yesterday and so on.

If she told them she fears for the safety of her children, it's gonna be urgent. If they know about the earlier incident, not so much.

Comment

It depends on the situation.

I had an issue not long ago with two different houses near mine deciding that their parties needed to be heard for at least a 3-block radius.

When I called in early in the day (it was a Saturday), an officer was rolled to have a chat with the one I called them for within half an hour - I know this because the volume dropped dramatically in the middle of a song and stayed low for the next hour.

When I called later that night (about 9pm), nothing happened. I called again at 1am regarding them both still rattling my windows, and they still hadn't rolled on the 9pm call due to emergency call volume. 911 and non-emergency lines go to the same switchboard (at least after hours) for my area; I was put on hold while she took a 911 call. I believe they were finally able to get out a little bit before 2am, as one of them cut off to barely audible and then five minutes later the other did the same.

Quoth Kittish View Post
            Generally speaking, if you declare at the beginning that your call is not an emergency and you don't make a habit of it, you won't be charged for mis-use of the system.

Hell, my workplace had a problem with people mis-dialing and calling 911 for a while and while they threatened, they never did charge us for the nuissance issue. We never could get the one(s) doing it to stay on the line and apologize for the mis-dial and 911 has to call back any numbers that call and drop to make sure there isn't an actual emergency going on; if they don't get an answer, they'll roll an emergency unit of some sort to assess the situation.

As for physical violence, that is a real emergency and should be considered such, With children involved, it just makes it more-so.

And you can kidnap your own children. In fact, parents and other family account for just under half of all kidnappings; less than a quarter of all kidnappings are done by strangers, and only slightly more than that are by people known to the victim but who aren't relatives.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
            X