This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you actually care about your dogs?

Due to the crazy, Out of Africa is struggling. They have a bunch of hungry lions and tigers, but depend on visitors paying hefty entrance fees which hasn't been happening lately.

They opened up for drive-thru last week, and while I knew it was going to be really lame, I went today. The residents have very nice, large habitats so most of the animals were off doing their own things and couldn't be seen.

The park owners knew that most folks wouldn't be happy with that, so had a couple of workers next to the tiger and lion enclosures who had bribed a couple of large cats to doze by the fences.

At the tiger stop, the car in front of me which had 3 little barky dogs kicking up a fuss, opened the window to let them have a good look. 1 dog fell/jumped out. 1 tiger woke up and started looking interested. The worker wasn't very gentle while grabbing dog and tossing it back in the car. Loud and angry words happened and the car ended up turning around (assuming they got kicked out).

When I got to the lion stop, a lioness walked up to the fence and looked at me, so of course I stopped to take pics. The guy behind me also wanted pics and rolled down his window which allowed his dog to jump out and start barking at the big cats. The owner hopped out to grab the dog and the worker came sprinting to do whatever he thought he could do if that big cat went over the fence.

The lioness looked annoyed, her sexually intact mate came out of the bush and peed on the dog, the owner and into the open car.

So, back to my original question...do you really like those dogs, or were you just trying to find a way to sue people?

Edited to say that Out of Africa is usually a wonderful experience, not lame at all, but also not set up for drive through. I enjoyed myself a lot today. I encourage everyone to visit and support wild animal sanctuaries, but until the crazy is over, don't expect much besides the the good feeling that you get when you buy a tiger a steak.
    Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 05-07-2020, 04:50 AM.

It doesn't matter how big they are, a cat is a cat. Give it an opening to get even for annoying them and they will take it.

Comment

Disney and their ilk did the world no favors by presenting nature as all pretty and peaceful and harmless.

Reality strongly disagrees with that delusion.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I went back to Out of Africa yesterday and saw the sign had been changed. For everyone's safety, dogs are no longer allowed. I sure hope no workers got hurt due to idiot dog owners.

Also...the reason I was there was to deliver a big garbage bag full of fresh, home grown catnip along with paper bags. The keepers put the catnip in the paper bags, crumbled up the bags and tossed them over the fences. Big cats like catnip

It looks like I have a new side gig...1 free pass in exchange for a big garbage bag full of catnip!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
          Disney and their ilk did the world no favors by presenting nature as all pretty and peaceful and harmless.
          You've got THAT right. We haven't been prey for so long that we've forgotten that we -- and our smaller pets -- are STILL prey to large predators.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
            The keepers put the catnip in the paper bags, crumbled up the bags and tossed them over the fences. Big cats like catnip
            Oh, I'd love to see that
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

OK, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPA1bZwOWc

There are at least a couple more videos of it as well.

Not all cats react to catnip. Not all big cats do, either. One of the other videos from Big Cat Rescue showed them trying it on about a half-dozen different types of big cat. Some loved it, some couldn't care less.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I'm glad I am retired. I can stay up late watching all of those videos! Thank you!!!

My experience wasn't so musical or close up, but I did a whole bunch of squeeling anyhow!

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                  Due to the crazy, Out of Africa is struggling.
                  I haven't been there in years, since I left Arizona. They used to do cub petting sessions there. Sorry to hear they're struggling, although I suppose most zoos and aquariums probably are as well.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    OK, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPA1bZwOWc

There are at least a couple more videos of it as well.

Not all cats react to catnip. Not all big cats do, either. One of the other videos from Big Cat Rescue showed them trying it on about a half-dozen different types of big cat. Some loved it, some couldn't care less.
                    Their channel is awesome.

Household cats also react differently to 'nip. I had a couple of cats who would spend hours stoned out of their little minds, and others who looked at it like 'Meh' ...

An acquaintance of mine, who lived in a relatively small community, said there was one house not far from here where catnip (somehow) grew wild. She said it looked like a crack house for cats; you'd drive past and there'd be passed-out cats all over the lawn.
                    Last edited by Pixelated; 05-22-2020, 01:56 AM.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I've also encountered a couple housecats that went absolutely wild-aggressive on the 'nip. So much for bringing the feline a housewarming present...

Comment

Sometimes I look at what dog people are doing 'for their dogs' and I wonder if they really do love their dogs.

An older gentleman used to be an attendant at a nearby parking lot and would occasionally bring his dog with him. He had promised his late wife in the last coherent conversation they had that he would care for the dog as she would have. The dog didn't like being alone, but the man at least had the sense to leave Pooch at home in an air-conditioned house when sitting in a parking lot with no shade would be unpleasant or actually harmful. He admitted he was actually a cat person, but the dog didn't like cats, so that would have to wait.

One of my cats (now gone to Gooshy-Food Heaven) was a mean drunk. After the second time I didn't give her catnip any more. She honestly didn't seem to enjoy it, she just got weird and aggressive.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          Their channel is awesome.

Household cats also react differently to 'nip. I had a couple of cats who would spend hours stoned out of their little minds, and others who looked at it like 'Meh' ...

An acquaintance of mine, who lived in a relatively small community, said there was one house not far from here where catnip (somehow) grew wild. She said it looked like a crack house for cats; you'd drive past and there'd be passed-out cats all over the lawn.
                          Some cats are simply unaffected, I've heard numbers ranging from 10% to 30%, but I'm inclined to lean toward the former. An old boss of mind told a tale of a cat he'd known, who was one of the immunes... and whose owner's back yard contained the neighborhood catnip patch. He became kind of the catty neighborhood by luring the other cats into his catnip patch, waiting for them to get stoned out of their gourd, and then beating the *$&)* out of them...

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                            Some cats are simply unaffected, I've heard numbers ranging from 10% to 30%, but I'm inclined to lean toward the former.
                            I had a little orange one who was complete unaffected. But then he was crazy enough without catnip.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                              My two cats, most of the time they're elegant little ladies. Give them fresh catnip, though, and they turn into Cheech and Chong!
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X