This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not just another day at the Shell station, by Jay

...at least I think that's the name of the guy who posted this a couple years ago. I don't remember exactly how the story went, but I do have
    this video.

If I remember correctly, someone left the kid alone in the car while they came into the store to do some quick shopping. Then the kid got bored, as kids often do, and started playing around in the car. He managed to get the car started, put it in gear, and hit the gas. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

If the original poster is lurking around, or anyone else can remember more of this story, feel free to speak up.
    Last edited by MadMike; 11-14-2006, 06:55 PM.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

I remember watching that when the guy first posted it. I watched it again just a few minutes ago. I don't see how that one guy kept from being hit

Madmike you are right, the guy's name is Jay. I remember now.
    Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

That kid is NOT getting their license ANY time soon. Glad nobody got hurt.
      "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

oh my

thats scary just think that parent needs good kick in the ass.
        first time i seen video i would have been scared shitless to leave my kid in a running car in the dark
        I Have Nothing But The Thoughts Of Uselessness

Comment

A few things you just gotta love here...

1) It's completely idiotic to leave a kid alone in a car, running or not. Take the kids into the store with you, take another adult to sit with them outside, or leave them at home. So much crap can happen.

2) They moved the car before the police and EMS arrived. First, this violates the rule of never disturbing evidence needlessly until the police give an ok to do so. Second, the cardinal rule of dealing with major body trauma is not to move an injured person with potential spine injuries (and I wouldn't rule that out for the kid in the car in this case, obviously the kid wasn't restrained if they got into the drivers seat and manipulated the car) unless it's absolutely necessary or they're properly secured into a c-spine condition. An exception may be made for this if the victim can move without much pain on their own, but I wouldn't push it with that because there may be a fractured vertibrae that hasn't cut the chord but will if you move it wrong. Third, it's possible that something the car has disturbed on the building may have been load-bearing, and removing the car would have removed the support the car was providing in lieu of whatever the car knocked out. Had this been the case, this would have created more needless damage to the building and could have rendered the front end of the building unsafe. Fourth, the car's fuel lines could have been damaged in the crash and all it takes is one little spark from friction between the car and the metal or bricks of the building to create an explosion and fire.

3) With a big-ass hole in the front of the building, people still use the door that's intact.
          "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
          "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
          My MySpace
          My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post

1) It's completely idiotic to leave a kid alone in a car, running or not. Take the kids into the store with you, take another adult to sit with them outside, or leave them at home. So much crap can happen.
            Like getting a spanking if we messed around in the car while mom and/or dad where inside paying. Plus we got ice cream when we behaved. If the kids know the rules there is nothing wrong with leaving them in the car. My parents took the keys though.
            "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

wow that happened my first day working at 7-11,didnt get to see it happen,but I for damn sure got to help clean it up

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post

2) Second, the cardinal rule of dealing with major body trauma is not to move an injured person with potential spine injuries (and I wouldn't rule that out for the kid in the car in this case, obviously the kid wasn't restrained if they got into the drivers seat and manipulated the car) unless it's absolutely necessary or they're properly secured into a c-spine condition.

It is also perfectly OK to move wounded if the accident scene is unsafe, like the middle of a busy road. Any injury that results is still under the purvue of Good Sameritan laws. Given what the site looked like in the film, I would have moved the kid first, if didn't look like he had injuries that would prevent it. Yes, the kid could have had spinal damage, but you take that chance if the situation looks dangerous to the victem.

What kills me is the stupid people walking in and out after the car was moved. Obviously that was not a safe entry, but then, common sense, ain't.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Actually, I doubt the police would have minded much. Moving everybody to a safe area would have been better than not touching anything and, if the building had caved, killing everybody. The CSU or whatever they had would have to have worked around it if EMS had arrived and had to take drastic measures.

But, who's the genius that left a child in a running car with the keys and no emergency brake? Give the kid a hand grenade and a chainsaw and tell him to juggle 'em! The kid could tell you that was dumb!

Comment

Oh wow, I can't believe I don't remember this.
                    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post

2) They moved the car before the police and EMS arrived. First, this violates the rule of never disturbing evidence needlessly until the police give an ok to do so.
                      It actually looked to me like the car rolled back on its own, I could be wrong, but that' my take on it.
                      Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

My kids usually have the option of sitting in the car if their dad is there (I drive him home after work), otherwise they're coming with me. I *will* wake them if they're alseep (they usually wake up when I turn the ignition off anyway). My brother once sent my mom's car into the neighbor's yard by simply turning off the emergency brake. My kids could EASILY disengage my emergency brake. That, and the idea of someone hitting my car or STEALING my car while my children are inside it.... no way. Yes, they know not to touch anything, and they know not to even get out of their seats, but I simply don't want to leave it to chance, so they come in with me, unless I'm just pumping gas into the car (because then I can see them, and I pay at the pump anyway).
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Skrae View Post
                          It actually looked to me like the car rolled back on its own, I could be wrong, but that' my take on it.
                          Probably not, because the car was in drive to begin with. So, to back out someone would have had to purposely put it in reverse, then put it in park to make it stop like that.

Comment

Working...
                          X