X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burger King in talks to BUY Tim Hortons

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...24&id=17879429
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Since Wendy's bought them up once, then the share holders forced her to split them off again, I'm not too concerned about this.

I doubt the government will interfere in any case, since it has happened before, AND the combined company will be based out of Canada (for tax evasion purposes).

Most likely once the US gets around to closing that loophole, BK will divest itself of Tims and move back to the States.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
      Since Wendy's bought them up once, then the share holders forced her to split them off again, I'm not too concerned about this.

I doubt the government will interfere in any case, since it has happened before, AND the combined company will be based out of Canada (for tax evasion purposes).

Most likely once the US gets around to closing that loophole, BK will divest itself of Tims and move back to the States.
      Actually the government isn't who they need to worry about, just look what happened when Walgreens tried that. Couple other companies have found out what their customers think of that game and cancelled their inversion plans. Considering Burger King's position in the market, i think the merest hint of pissed off customers will be enough to cancel the inversion at the very least, if not the purchase.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Hang on hang on - BK just recently came to my country (South Africa). Does that mean they could bring Tims here? COULD THEY??!
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
          Hang on hang on - BK just recently came to my country (South Africa). Does that mean they could bring Tims here? COULD THEY??!
          That's what I was wondering when I read the article earlier. We currently don't have any Tims locations this far into the US. And I've heard for years now about those Timbits.

I would SO like to see a Timmy's here just so I can try those.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            That's what I was wondering when I read the article earlier. We currently don't have any Tims locations this far into the US. And I've heard for years now about those Timbits.

I would SO like to see a Timmy's here just so I can try those.
            I would also like to see a Timmy's over here (Australia has Hungry Jacks, which is basically Burger King).
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
              Possibly, either as free-standing stores or adding some of their items to BK menus.

But as has been alluded to, the main point of this is to skirt U.S. corporate taxes, which may or may not go over well.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The interesting thing is that in some parts of Ohio, free-standing Wendy's / Tim's stores are still around. This could prove to be interesting, or horrible. Hard to tell yet which.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

That's interesting. Goodhair told me it was the other way around, that Tim Horton's was buying Burger King. He must have misheard.

He also said that the tribe that he works with has signed an exclusive deal with Tim Horton's for northern Minnesota. So any Tim Horton's that open in the north half of MN will be owned by this tribe.

Interesting, but probably useless trivia. (If it's even true. I don't trust most things Goodhair tells me.)
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

It probably sounds like Tim's is buying BK because BK is buying them and using a tax loophole to move to Canada, so the company is technically based out of Tim's offices in Ontario. BK's international ops will remain out of the States.

The Wendy's/Tim's combo stores will be interesting; most will probably just be ignored I suspect and left as is. If some are due for renovations maybe they'll try to divorce them, but they are rare enough that it's not as big a deal.

Comment

Amusingly, I was listening to the report on this on the radio today; Timmy's stock rose 8% while BK's stock dropped 2%

Comment

Working...
                      X