Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait'll I get out the abacus, lady ...

Had a customer come through my line today and ask for a raincheck on something (ground meat, I believe). I tried to call the department and then thought "Oh, fuck it" and started writing up the raincheck.

Customer: "Wait, you have to write that up??"

Me: "Yep."

Customer: "Every other store I've been to, you just punch it in at the register and it spits it out automatically!"

Me: (thinks) *Can I get a job at one of them??"

Me (says): "That sounds great, but unfortunately here we still do it this way."

Customer: *iz rendered speechless*

I did tell her that we're getting massive renovations done over the next few months, including (supposedly) new registers, so perhaps when that happens we can stop writing up rainchecks.

Don't bet the rent money on it, though.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post

Customer: "Every other store I've been to, you just punch it in at the register and it spits it out automatically!"
    I mean, I've only asked for one raincheck in the past... forever... but it was at the big grocery store owned by Kroger and they wrote it out by hand. Where's she living that "every" other store does it with the computer. That magical land that SCs live in, where everything is cheaper, better, and faster I guess.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      I mean, I've only asked for one raincheck in the past... forever... but it was at the big grocery store owned by Kroger and they wrote it out by hand. Where's she living that "every" other store does it with the computer. That magical land that SCs live in, where everything is cheaper, better, and faster I guess.
      There is no other store. She saw in a movie or on a TV show.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

In this galaxy/decade?
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
          In this galaxy/decade?
          Knowing what can appear on American TV shows, yes in this galaxy. As for the decade, your guess is as good as mine.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

That reminded me of the supermarket where I used to work back in the late 80s. Our store was small and outdated, and while some of the other stores were starting to use scanners, we didn't have them. We still had to price-mark every item, and then enter the prices when the items were rung up at the register.

One time a lady bought some items, and then after I totaled everything up, she got out food stamps to pay with. If they had eligible and non-eligible items on the same order, then we had to call a manager up to void out the ineligible items, have the customer pay with their food stamps, and then re-ring the ineligible items as a separate order and have the customer pay for it with cash. Some of our customers knew this, and were nice enough to separate everything into two orders and tell us ahead of times, but not everyone knew to do this.

When I explained that I had to call a manager up to separate the orders, the customer asked me if I didn't have a button that would separate the items. I had never heard of anything like that, but figured that that may be something that stores have if they have scanners. I figured the scanners know what the items are, and which items were eligible. Unfortunately, all our primitive registers had was a bunch of prices that were entered by the cashier.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              In this galaxy/decade?
              In a galaxy far, far away ...
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                In a galaxy far, far away ...

God said "Let there be lips. and there were and they were good.....Sing to us OH Great lips"
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  God said "Let there be lips. and there were and they were good.....Sing to us OH Great lips"
                  Mick Jagger is older than god...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

"Michael Renny was ill
                    The day the earth stood still
                    But he told us
                    Where we stand
                    [ ON OUR FEET! ]

And Flash Gordon was there
                    In silver underwear
                    Claude Rains was the
                    Invisible Man..."
                    [ I CAN'T SEE THAT!]
                    Last edited by Nunavut Pants; 02-20-2020, 09:39 PM. Reason: Adding the couple of call-backs I remember
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Then something went wrong
                      For Fay Wray and King Kong
                      They got caught in a celluloid jam
                      Then at a deadly pace
                      It Came From Outer Space
                      And this is how the message ran...

Comment

Like a science-fiction
                        Double feature.
                        Dr. X
                        Will build a creature.

See androids fighting
                        Brad and Janet.
                        Anne Francis stars in
                        Forbidden Planet

Wo, oh, oh, oh, ho oh.
                        At the late night
                        Double feature
                        Picture show.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                          "ill
                          ..."
                          Quoth Edwina View Post
                          Quoth Kristev View Post
                          w.

Really NO CALLBACKS GUYS???????. I guess I have to do all the work
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Really NO CALLBACKS GUYS???????. I guess I have to do all the work
                            I haven’t been to the D-section yearly dinner/show for 15 years so I don’t remember all of them. Better to keep quiet then to say them at the wrong time.

Comment

Rather than an abacus, slip in a bogus Mandate From Maximum Management that henceforth all pricing, quantities and UPCs will be in Roman Numerals and that the tills will be immediately updated to display and print same.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X