The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
    Now how does this deal with this thread? He isn't allowed to visit her in the hospital!
    My grandmother developed dementia several years back, and my mom had to put her in a home. Once the virus got bad, they stopped allowing visitors at all. They eventually made an exception for my mom to come see her, when it was determined that she didn't have much time left. She passed about a week later, one month after her 93rd birthday.

We had an outdoor graveside service, and even then they told us to all wear masks. Unbelievable times.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• My plant is forecast to do 95% of the work originally forecast for this month but still operating on contingency budgeting because "uncertainty."

Somebody may have been driven to quit after being asked to run one of the plants with too few people for the machines running. I am so glad I'm off most of next week.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• Quoth MadMike View Post
        My grandmother developed dementia several years back, and my mom had to put her in a home. Once the virus got bad, they stopped allowing visitors at all. They eventually made an exception for my mom to come see her, when it was determined that she didn't have much time left. She passed about a week later, one month after her 93rd birthday.

We had an outdoor graveside service, and even then they told us to all wear masks. Unbelievable times.
        Agreed, very unbelievable times indeed.

My friend found out that his mom has been accepted to a long term memory care place. She's no longer able to live on her own.

Of course, he still can't see her. If I heard correctly, she's not allowed any visitors at all in the first month. Even after, it doesn't sound like he'll be able to visit.

The only good thing is my friend now is a cat owner, since his mom can't take care of it. He's single and lives alone, and has a big house, so this is the only good thing for him in all of this.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Quoth MadMike View Post

I'm so sorry to hear that, it must have been tough.

A woman from the nursing home my late mother lived in came through my line at the store some weeks ago. I don't know if it's gotten any better, but at the time it was "no visitors." She said it was heartbreaking, because so many of the residents have dementia and didn't understand why their families weren't coming around anymore. They felt abandoned. And of course the staff would try to explain, but 10 minutes later, the resident would have forgotten it ...
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
            Of course, he still can't see her.
            Your friend should do some research on the creative ideas that other homes have come up with to allow visitation.

One home replaced a section of a window with something akin to vent hood gloves, so that people could hold hands.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Quoth csquared View Post
              One home replaced a section of a window with something akin to vent hood gloves, so that people could hold hands.
              That is a spectacularly excellent idea. Kudos to whoever thought of it!
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• I certainly thought so. I wish I could find the article.

Another place took an enclosed the drive under awning out front. Then segmented it with clear, plastic sheeting. Famly members now have a place out of the weather.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Some places around here are offering video chats, but good luck getting ahold of someone who can do it.

Quoth MadMike View Post

My dad passed very suddenly at the end of April and we ended up doing a drive-by visitation and the funeral service was livestreamed. Which honestly got a bit of a chuckle out of me since my dad couldn't do anything the "normal" way.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

• My 97-year-old remaining grand-relative (father's stepmother) is starting to go downhill it seems. She doesn't have Covid thank dog, but my cousin reports that she's losing weight and is getting very hard of hearing. Both her and my cousin live in Oregon. We want to go out there to see her, but my dad is concerned about catching something on a plane and potentially giving it to her.

I'm flying out to see my dad next week; we all figured that I've just been so beaten up by my job and resulting job search that I need a change of wallpaper.
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-08-2020, 01:57 PM.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Well, here's another side effect of the situation going on. I was hanging out with some friends last night. One friend was talking about his upcoming wedding. and how it's being affected by the situation. He sent in the paperwork to the county for the marriage license back on June 20th. He still doesn't have it as of yet. The date planned is October 18th, though it might have to be moved up.

He called the county yesterday, and was told why, but they also said they'd expedite it, because there's a very good reason to get it done ASAP.

See his girlfriend has Huntington's disease, and she's in the end stages of it. Her last request is to be his wife, even if it's only an hour or a day before she dies. She has pretty much stopped eating, and is in bed almost all the time now. She won't be here in 2021.

So, he's planning a wedding and a funeral. Life is so damn unfair. He had a horrible first marriage. His first wife was very abusive. She tried to kill him many times, literally throwing knives at him. He only stuck it out for the kids. It finally ended when she got arrested for assault on him. He then finds the perfect woman for him, and she's about to die.
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• That is the saddest story I've ever heard.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• While The Plague really needs to be knocked on the head, there is an unanticipated upside.

In the UK you're not allowed into shops or public buildings without wearing a mask unless you have a medical exemption (you get issued a lanyard with sunflowers on it and a pass to say that you can't wear a mask for medical reasons).

My younger sister, who works in a supermarket, has been quite enjoying being able to tell customers off. Yesterday she had fun with the people who have a mask over their mouths but not their noses.

1) Couple come up to the till. Both had their masks pulled down to below their noses. She asked that they wear them properly; they refused. My sister refused to serve them until they both put their masks on properly. She just kept repeating that she had the right to refuse service if they're not wearing their masks properly. After about 5 minutes of arguing they finally put them on properly.

2) Another couple came up to the till with their masks under their noses. Again, she asked them to pull their masks up. The husband did with no problems, but the wife argued. After a few minutes of arguing, she finally put it on.

She started loading items from the trolley onto the belt, but after half a dozen items she pulled her mask down to her chin. My sister stopped scanning and said she wouldn't start again until the woman put her mask on. The wife refused. After a bit of arguing back and forth my sister told the wife that if she didn't put her mask on she would call a manager to get them thrown out of the shop without their shopping (this has happened a few times, so it wasn't an idle threat). The wife still refused, so my sister put her finger over the button and told the wife "you have until the count of 5 to put your mask on before I call for the manager".

The wife said "you wouldn't dare!"

My sister said (true quote) "Try me!" and started counting down from 5. She got down to 2 before the wife put her mask on.

Once the couple had finished and left, the next customer told my sister that they absolutely loved how she dealt with it, and that it was the best thing she'd seen all week!

My sister is definitely going to miss being able to lay down the law with sucky customers once this is over.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• I wish I could do that! I've been going with the "gentle reminder" sort of thing. It works most of the time, but then yesterday...

One of our commercial customers comes in without a mask (which he's done before, too). Normally he comes to see Branch Manager, but he was out to lunch, so SC comes to my office.

Me: Oh, you forgot your mask, huh?
                            SC: Yup.
                            Me: Would you like me to get you one of our disposable ones?
                            SC: No, I'm good.
                            Me: <silently fuming>

He stood in the doorway of my office while I got him the info he needed, then left. I wish I could have refused him service, but BM insists we walk this tightrope with customers.
                            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I have a coworker who doesn't wear a mask properly for multiple reasons (pick any that are floating out there, doesn't matter) I heard her tell a customer "As long as I'm working you don't have to worry about wearing a mask."

Management knows about her "beliefs" and if I was to start complaining about her I'd be in the office every freaking day. There's more to her behavior than just the mask thing, but that's a topic for another time.
                              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• One of my collegues called out sick with covid19 today after being tested. Frick.

So our boss mandated us to get checked ASAP. Luckily there's a test center near my house that can check me already tomorrow and hopefully I'll get a test result within 24 hours. (Also, as a silver lining, it's only a throat swab instead of the "brain tickle".)
                                A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X