This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 n00b intarwebz questions

I'm going on vacation in about two weeks. Flying into Denver, seeing some national parks in Colorado, Utah, and Arizona, and then spending a few days in Las Vegas before heading back to Denver to fly home again.

I plan on taking my laptop with me. My questions:

1. My laptop has a wi-fi catcher built into it, and I know airports sometimes have wi-fi internet. Do I need anything else to get onto the internet using the airport's wi-fio signal?

2. Some of the hotels I will staying at have high-speed internet, I am assuming not wireless though. What kind of cable would I need to plug into my computer and the wall jack to get the internet service? Dial-up is just about all I've ever known.

Thanks, and please go easy.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

uh... I dunno about #1. I stopped going to airports when I dumped Ex-Boyfriend.

#2 is easy; pick up a cheap Cat-5 cable so you don't have to borrow one from the front desk. Most hotels these days, though, have wireless internet though it's not always working. A Cat-5 cable shouldn't cost you more then $5 max.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I use a LAN cable from Belkin to get on the internet when I'm using someone's else broadband connection (WITH permission). I have the built-in wireless as well, but not the drivers (different HD, had to use a back-up of XP and eve that didn't have all my original drivers the factory had built in custom). Since I don't use wireless I haven't bothered to locate the drivers.*

*Yes, I'm lazy.
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Also for #2 all the hotels I've been in (admittedly not that many) have "how to connect to the internet" instructions in the big folder that tells you what time the restaurant is open and how to press '0' for the front desk.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

For #2, the technical terms are "Cat 5 cable with RJ 45 connector", or more simply, networking cable. Even semi-competant sales floor people will know what you need with that one. I recommend a 6ft. cable. That'll give you some slack to reposition, but won't be huge and bulky.

#1, as long as it's an unsecured connection in the airport, all you need to do is find the proper network on your list of available wireless networks, and the computer should do the rest itself, since you're already set up to use wireless.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Very teeny tiny addition for #2: Just read the name of the product from the package the sales folks hand to you. If it says "Crossover", it's not the right one. Not sold very often, but it pays to double-check.

Comment

1) All you need extra is an unsecure connection. As airports are getting fairly tight with security, it's going to be tough, so I wouldn't count on it. Depending on the airport, they may have land line connections.

2) Keep a 6 foot ethernet cable for it, but check with the hotel. A lot of hotels are doing secured wi-fi for their guests. Terms to look out for when buying:

Ethernet
              Cat-5
              RJ-45 connector

Terms to avoid at all cost:

Crossover
              RJ-11 connection
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Heads up on airports - FIND A POWER JACK ASAP.
                Couple years ago walking through an airport - every frickin power plug was taken.
                By laptoppers.

If you're stuck there for a few hours, plug it in, charge up battery so you'll be able to watch movies on screen when you're inflight.

Enable radio before you leave home. Practice? Click on wireless icon, refresh or search for signals. Any signal with a lock on it - skip it. Signals saying open or unencrypted - you MIGHT be able to use. A lot of airports are charging for wifi time now, depending on which one you're in. But you might be able to find another signal.

Good places to pick up signals are right outside of hotels and some middle class neighborhoods. Starbucks, yeah.. other coffee shops, yeah, just do NOT have your Cdrive shared.

Make sure you're using more than just Windows firewall.
                Update your anti virus before you leave home.
                Do a scan and defrag too.

Cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                  Good places to pick up signals are right outside of hotels and some middle class neighborhoods.

btw, this is illegal.

EDIT TO ADD EXAMPLE:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6546307

first link i found when googling "prosecuted for piggybacking wifi"
                  Last edited by CorDarei; 05-13-2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the "legal/illegal" debate has already happen. And we don't need to rehash it.

However, that being said. Never log in to any site that requires a password and make sure you have a firewall running when you "connect" to any wifi network. It's real easy to "steal" any information that sent out in a wifi network (including email passwords).
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Also, make sure you have a login to the machine.
                      Don't be lazy and just turn the machine on and start it up. Make sure there's some kind of passwording.

Besides this - do not have bank statements or money info saved. Or passwords saved on the machine.

Take care!
                      Cutenoob
                      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I've actually decided not to use the laptop in the airports. This is because in Milwaukee I'd have to pay to access the wi-fi in the airport, and because I decided I don't want to be constantly taking the laptop out of its bag and then putting it back in again later.

It'll be strictly for use in the hotels, to use the Internet and store my pictures.

I did go out and buy the proper ethernet cable a couple days ago.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                          If I'm not mistaken, the "legal/illegal" debate has already happen. And we don't need to rehash it.
                          what's there to rehash? it's in the lawbooks. Until they take it off, it's illegal.

Comment

True, and as we don't condone illegal acts on CS, people will play nice and refrain from mentioning using private networks in the future. Move on.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                              Heads up on airports - FIND A POWER JACK ASAP.
                              Couple years ago walking through an airport - every frickin power plug was taken.
                              By laptoppers.

Cutenoob
                              I'd second this, but you've already decided not to surf at the airport. Note that not all places charge for access. Some airlines have tried to put wi-fi in place for their customers.

However, not using your laptop to surf the web doesn't preclude using it for watching movies while you wait for your plane...

Anyway, we experienced this as well last year when we went on our cruise. Me and my sister shared a plug, switching between us to keep our batteries charged. Getting a small multi-plug would enable you to share one plug with someone else.

As far as using your wi-fi, I'd suggest going to a Starbucks or Panera (assuming they have them where you are) and pestering some other laptop user there to help you get online.

Eric the Grey
                              In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
                              X