Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we care more about your kid more than you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Willis View Post
    Astronomically low? Says who?
    Basic Math. The number of actual kidnappings (strangers rather than non-custodial relative abductions) from locations outside the home (retail stores, restaurants, et al.) is a very small percentage compared to the total population of children. Likelyhood of such a kidnapping happening spikes with children of wealthy parents or girls averaging 11-years-old.

I would run all the numbers, but the various sites I looked at did not break things down clearly between realatives kidnapping the children and strangers, much less the numbers on those taken from retail locations. The high-end estimate of the sites I saw, suggested less than 500 kids total are taken by total strangers from a store environment in a year.

BORING MATH STUFF (cause I'm bored )
    Using worst-case scenario numbers (that I admittedly found in a short search on the net) and the estimated 2008 census numbers for the U.S. (73,886,513 children under the age of 18), the chance that any given child in your store will be taken by a total stranger is .00000677% (rounded, less than a seven-millionth of one percent). Very, very tiny.

Not very comforting to those who do have it happen, though. Watch your kids people!
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
    X