This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A puzzler...

I just thought I would post something rather strange and see if I could get any info on what might have happened. In December some of the machines my company supports throughout the state went down. They were all Windows 2000 Pro and Servers, and a couple of them even got a new image to run XP. They were unable to be reached from anywhere on the network. They were running Symantec AntiVirusCorporate 9.

The fix for each one of these systems was to install Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10.2. There was a varying amount of corruption on each system. We ran multiple scans from varying boot cds and all came up clean. Malwarebytes found absolutely nothing. We had to use varying methods to get the systems to install the Antivirus. We had to stop services, rename files (including inetinfo.exe - IIS is a major part of the function these machines perform), delete files.... I can't remember every step we took. But as soon as that new AV was installed the systems just had to have settings changed back to normal. The flash drives I used have checked out completely clean with every scanner I have access to.

We did not have to install any firewall software. These machines are already behind a state government network that requires access to a machine on it, or VPN access. There are at least 2 different domains on the network, one for these systems, and another for the main units we deal with (the ones that had the problem are privately owned, the others are under a contract).

I am just wondering if anyone has heard of something that could cause this. It seems very odd to me that a simple install of the newer AV would fix it. Sure we had found out that the 9.0 version has been out of support for a while, but I've never heard of this type of issue.

Thanks.

's Norton Hose It Here? by Doctor Zuess?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth bsaana View Post
      Symantec AntiVirusCorporate 9

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10.2
      This is your problem. Norton is notorious for being overly invasive, and at the same time, far weaker than even free products available (such as MSE, which is free for even corporate and enterprise use, as long as your Windows license is valid). I strongly recommend you switch away before Norton hoses you again. (If corporate scoffs at MSE, suggest ESET NOD32. Largely considered the best, and probably still cheaper than Norton.)

Comment

The machines its used on are supported by us, but not owned by us. And doesn't MSE require XP? All the hosed systems were 2k. They tried a fix with a new XP image, but they never put anything on AV wise and they were screwed up within a day. I know Symantec and Norton aren't the best, and I use MSE on my home systems.
        Last edited by bsaana; 01-26-2011, 03:29 AM.

Comment

So, is the general consensus that MSE is good and I should be putting it on student computers?
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
            So, is the general consensus that MSE is good and I should be putting it on student computers?
            If it's the student's computer, then yes - Microsoft has even improved on it. I've recommended it to students that come in for getting wireless access for the campus and noticed that they have no antivirus or that what they have has expired.

Comment

Very good. I'll go ahead and toss it on my personal laptop and get used to it.

Sorry, AVG!!!
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth roothorick View Post
                This is your problem. Norton is notorious for being overly invasive, and at the same time, far weaker than even free products available (such as MSE, which is free for even corporate and enterprise use, as long as your Windows license is valid). I strongly recommend you switch away before Norton hoses you again. (If corporate scoffs at MSE, suggest ESET NOD32. Largely considered the best, and probably still cheaper than Norton.)
                You're likely working from old data. Norton has changed a lot in the last couple of years.

The pro that runs our work computer system would have had us using Norton, but for one particular function that they didn't have when we set up the current system.

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                Very good. I'll go ahead and toss it on my personal laptop and get used to it.

Sorry, AVG!!!
                MSE is actually surprisingly effective. It does decently in head to head comparisons pretty much every go-round.

But if you're just looking for standalone antivirus, Ad-Aware is currently heads above for both the free and pay versions, with excellent protection and clean up capabilities.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The machine is POSSESSED! The demonic influence must be banished.

Now where the hell did I put that arcane spell book? I could have sworn I put it with my tech manuals. After all, I use them for the same work and they're about the same effectiveness.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    The machine is POSSESSED! The demonic influence must be banished.

Now where the hell did I put that arcane spell book? I could have sworn I put it with my tech manuals. After all, I use them for the same work and they're about the same effectiveness.
                    Honestly, that is exactly what we thought. If we'd have had that spell book we would have used it.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

MSE is actually surprisingly effective. It does decently in head to head comparisons pretty much every go-round.
                    Yes it is quite effective. I've taken drives from other computers to scan and its cleaned them perfectly. I did have 1 drive with a boot sector virus that kept coming back, but as it was a corporate used in an office, it got wiped and imaged.
                    Last edited by crazylegs; 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X