This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod Question: Reporting

Is there any such thing as reporting too often? I know I have made ample use the report button, and I have even reported a moderator's post at least once. Most of the time, I do it to alert the moderator's to potential trouble that seems to be brewing in a thread, but has not actually occurred, so that the mods can keep an eye on it.

Just want to make sure I'm not abusing the report button/annoying the mods.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Maybe you should report this thread.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Generally speaking, not a problem. We've never had to tell anyone they're reporting too much yet.

Rapscallion

Comment

I habitually report every post Raps makes, just to fight off the hitmen he sends at me for my own amusement.

/Click.
        "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
        "What IS fun to fight through?"
        "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I'll get you one day, Gadget!

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            I'll get you one day, Gadget!

Rapscallion
            There's the problem. Your hitmen think you're saying Gidget.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Nah. If there is a threshhold for "excessive reports," it seems to be somewhere around "Every other post that <otheruser> makes." No worries.

Reports are actually quite helpful We can't be everywhere at once...Or, at least, that's what we want you to think
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks.

My main concern was really wanting to make sure it doesn't get to the point where I was like "The Boy Who Cried 'Wolf'" to the mods.

SC
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

However, please refrain from responding in a thread you feel is fratchy, *then* reporting it. Just simply report it and we'll take it from there.
                  Couldn't ask in the "Report Button Blues" thread (source of quote) since it's locked. A couple times recently, a thread has been started here which looked like a valid debate topic for Fratching (in one case, there was a duplicate thread over there already, in the other, I started a thread). Just want to confirm what the preferred procedure is in the event that it happens again.

What's obvious to me:
                  1) Check Fratching for a thread on the same topic, start one with my comments on the issue (and a link to the CS thread) if there isn't one already.

What I'd like advice on:
                  Should I
                  2A) Reply to the CS thread, with my reply consisting of a link to the Fratching thread (where debate can continue if the CS thread is considered too "hot") and enough filler for it to not be automatically rejected as an empty post (i.e. not actually discussing the subject on CS), then report the thread?

or
                  2B) Not reply to the CS thread at all, but include a link to the Fratching thread in my message to the moderators when reporting the CS thread, so that if they decide to close the thread THEY can include the link to the Fratching thread?

Thanks.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wolfie (and others ) - Good question ^_^ here's your reply (and this goes for everyone):

1 - Absolutely, yes.
                    2 - In most cases, 2B would definitely be preferable. If you feel it's something really really worth discussing, 2A is also acceptable. Please Report a Fratchy post either way, and please restrict responses to *literally* just the Fratching link itself (if the post is too short, the message board will tell you).

As a general rule of thumb:

- If you feel the need to say "This may belong on Fratching, but...", it does belong there. Period. If you feel that you have a "potential fratching" subject to discuss that's important enough to bring up on here, we'd rather see a thread in Check It Out than an actual thread on the subject here. (This issue has raised its head recently, hence the bump of the Site News post)

- Please report any issues or problems you see on the board -- whether it's in a thread or in a PM. We can't see everything

- If you have a personal issue with something another poster has said and even think it may be contentious, either take it to PM's or just Report it and walk away.

- If there is something report-worthy in a thread, we really prefer that you not post in it, at all, for any reason (unless you're adding a Fratching link -- which is situational anyway). Do NOT call the other member(s) out, as perpetuating the issue/adding fuel to the fire is just as bad as sparking it in the first place. Please just Report and trust us to deal with it.

- Remember that ONLY Mods/Admins will ever know that a post/thread was reported, let alone who reported it, and that there are no repercussions for doing so. We're referees, not tyrants.

- TOS violations like Fratching, quality-of-life stuff like huge images, failure to mark NSFW posts, excessive quoting, consecutive posts, duplicates, thread in wrong forum, etc., are all reportable (ditto spam, but we deal with the bulk of that already -- we have posts from new users hidden by default for a reason ^_^). Feel free to browse the Site Rules for examples. When in doubt, we'd rather have a non-issue get reported, than a real issue go un-addressed. --- Just use your best judgment. e.g.: 3 quoted lines out of a 20-line post is not "excessive," just annoying as hell, especially if they're from the post immediately prior. And just as a side note, unlike some other fora, we don't really seem to have an issue with necroposting here -- if something is not yet old enough to get auto-locked, it's pretty much fair game unless a more recent/active thread covers the issue. "Really long" posts aren't a problem unless it's all one big wall-o-text with no line breaks. We like good stories

Thanks!
                    Last edited by EricKei; 11-23-2013, 02:46 PM.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                    X