X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoW and gold...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226011012149

Woman is suing her insurance company for the loss of 74 bars of gold bullion. The company is accusing her of staging the theft.

Wanna know where she got them from? She'd mine gold in World of Warcraft then sell it to other people for real cash. I thought that sort of trading wasn't allowed???
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Ok, I'll admit it first------I'm a wowcrack addict. But certainly not to the point of paying real money for fake money!!!

That being said...

This type of trading is not outlawed...yet.

Blizzard (creator of WoW) does have terms against this practice, but it's very difficult to police it, since the gold farmers simply mail the gold to the buyers in-game.

The most recent blow to these obnoxious gold farmers was Paypal's agreement with Blizzard to bar all vendors of WoW gold.

I am always getting whispers from these idiots in-game. What's worse is all the morons out there who buy the fake gold. Some will get the money, but many others get their accounts hijacked, or simply their credit card numbers hijacked.

That article is inaccurate in one point--they say "gold nuggets" are of value in the game. Not so. Gold is a low level ore that sells for an okay amount, but not nearly as much as the latest, greatest ores from Cataclysm. The article author is confusing terms there, and it irks me! Gold (money) is farmed. Gold ore is mined. Get your WoW facts/terms straight!

I'll stop now before I totally nerd out and lose everyone's respect.

/logs back into WoW
    Last edited by EmilyRose1982; 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM.
    Here's your sign...

Comment

Well, I have a beef with the article myself, though it's a bit different:

Despite my feelings regarding gold farmers (personally, I feel they should live in Siberia for life with no access to any computers ever), the point is, how she got the money to buy the bouillons is not the issue. If she got the money from playing the stocks, it's no different. The article writer just stuck it in there for the lousy attempt at humour (Hyuk! it's funny because it's gold bullion she lost which is mined, and she got it through a fantasy game where you can mine gold!)

The source is irrelevant. The case on the other hand is, but I don't see any evidence supporting either side, so I reserve judgement.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

LL, granted, sometimes I think the articles written at the paper in my state are written by a team of monkeys, but some of them are pretty decent and often ignite issues that are supposedly meant to be buried under the rug.

I'm wondering why the woman didn't put them in a bank really . Unless she didn't want to pay for a safety deposit box.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

i'm still trying to figure out what was stolen and how.
          was this stolen in game by someone using her computer? or was it just stolen in game...?
          or did someone hack her info and break into her house?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            i'm still trying to figure out what was stolen and how.
            was this stolen in game by someone using her computer? or was it just stolen in game...?
            or did someone hack her info and break into her house?
            Any reference to the game has no relevance, it's only there for sensationalism. Here's what happened:

1. Woman makes a large amount of money.
            2. Woman uses said money to buy some gold bullion.
            3. Woman claims that said gold bouillon was stolen from her home.
            4. Woman tried to get reimbursed through her insurance.
            5. Insurance refused to honor the claim.
            6. Woman files lawsuit against her insurance company to get the money
            7. Insurance company filed a counter-suit, alleging the theft was staged.
            8. Both sides are waiting on forensic reports before further proceeding.

That's what happened. Personally, I'm mixed about it. On the one hand, if there's proof of the theft, then it should be honored. That said, 74 bars of Gold Bouillon is HEAVY and you just don't go and steal it. That sort of theft takes planning. There's something fishy going on here.

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
            I'm wondering why the woman didn't put them in a bank really . Unless she didn't want to pay for a safety deposit box.
            A better question is why she bought the bouillon in the first place, and the only reason I can think of is because it's tougher to trace than large amounts of cash.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              On the one hand, if there's proof of the theft, then it should be honored. That said, 74 bars of Gold Bouillon is HEAVY and you just don't go and steal it. That sort of theft takes planning. There's something fishy going on here.
              I agree. Not many people go into a house expecting to find gold bars, so normally they have small bags, or use bags in other's homes to get stuff out. People who rob homes don't go in for a long period of time.

Normally, they go in for fast items and get out. So the only way for that much to be taken would have to be either planned, or someone was REALLY beefy, and happened to take a beefy buddy and had a rather big get away car.

Case in point, it's just not an easily done task.
              I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

ah. thanks.

that makes much more sense.

Comment

Stealing them would not be that hard. Gold is sell for about $1,300 AUS/ounce. $74,549 would not get 74 classic bars. The classic gold bar is 400 troy ounces. What she probably bought were one once bars. They are more like a coin.

Now the next question is whether the taxman is going to nail her.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                  X