This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird question from the lady checking me in

I have an appt with my GP today. I just checked in and she was making sure my info was updated. I was caught off guard when she asked, "And what's your race?" I thought I heard it wrong. It's just that on various kinds of paperwork over the years I've seen the question, but it's been mostly optional to answer it, so I'd never expect to be asked it in this setting. It's funny how it confuses me, too, because I have to remember to tell them both races, so I get flustered. (I fit into the white category pretty easily and mostly identify with it). I wonder if she thought it weird I was a bit confused, lol.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I guess they need to know because different races have different health profiles?

I could see where that might be jarring.

I was filling something out for the husband once and it was multiple choice and the choices were "black-white-native american-other" and I was soooo tempted to just check them all and hand it back while giggling.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      I was caught off guard when she asked, "And what's your race?"
      My standard answer to this questions is a puzzled look and "Human?"
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        I guess they need to know because different races have different health profiles?
        There is some truth to this. It's partly the reason those of African descent are more likely to carry sickle cell. Since a lot of Africa in jungle, you have mosquitoes and mosquitoes carry malaria. However, the malaria bug can't survive in a red blood cell that is sickle-shaped. Sickle cell is an adaptation to combat malaria (although it comes with its own set of problems).

There are other examples, but that's the only one I had sink in during my A&P class. Knowing a patient's race can help the doctor know what diseases and disorders to screen for.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I think medical professionals are the only group that needs an answer to this question.

I know one "white" family where the boys suffered for a long time from an undiagionsed illness. Turned out they had sickle Cell. When they had a frank discussion with the grandparents and great-grandparents it tuned out a couple of ancestors on both sides had "passed as white". The children might have been diagnosed earlier if an accurate background was given. (If you have a white child and a AA child with the same symptoms sickle cell is a zebra for the white child but a horse for the AA child).

In another case I read about several children in a family wasted away and died. Turns out that there were Jewish ancestors in the mix and the children who died had Tay-Sach. Again not something you test for outside of Cajun/Canadian French ancestry or Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.

Also less than 10 years ago an asthma medication had to be pulled because for some reason AA children were having deadly reactions to the medication. Other populations did not have this reaction.

Comment

Aye, I'm not a health worker (I just read too much) but I think ethnicity is probably a valid question when it comes to medicine. Though we may be unused to having it asked nowadays and it might seem a bit weird. XD

Off the top of my head, as well as Tay-Sachs and Sickle-Cell, there's a couple of others I can remember reading about - rare blood types that don't follow ABOd come from I think Barbados? And Asian people have a different kind of earwax, which may be important when dealing with ear problems?
            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

It's a problem when you end up with someone like me: on the paternal side it's 'unknown but we all look white', and the maternal side is 'probably Scots or Irish, based on surnames'.

That said, my parents' generation, my generation & hopefully the niece/nephew generation is keeping medical histories, and passing them on. With any luck, the kids will have no further avoidable medical-mystery problems.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I have honestly answered, "I'm probably more Native American, but when it came to my genetic drinking contest, my Scot-Irish side drank the Natives under the table." When really in a mood, I've also answered, "Not sure, but I think I'm an American Mutt."

My hubby is a bit easier. He's half Scottish and half Mutt-American.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

If I get asked that I'm going to honestly answer Viking with possibly a little Saxon, and maybe some Goth thrown in.

My family hasn't moved much... in about 1000 years.
                  As soon as I start thinking
                  That I'm sensible and sane
                  The Random Hedgehog comes along
                  And fiddles with my Brain
                  (from card I got)

Comment

I said I was white and native american, mostly white.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I think I'm just very English. My father has managed to trace my four ancestral lines back several centuries, the earliest being one Edward Bell from some place called Ash from 1611. He's...oh my...*counts* twelve generations back on my dad's mum's line. In all these lines there is one man from Scotland (Alexander Martin, 1801, mum's dad's line) and one couple from Ireland (Thomas Montgomery, 1795, married Matilda Lemon, 1801; dad's dad's line).
                      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

My Mom used to say that we were Heinz57 - a little of this and a little of that. Not African American or Asian American but possibly some Native American and a host of others.
                        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

For many people it is actually getting harder and harder to tell race just by looking.

A person with brown skin could be Native American, Hispanic, Polynesian, Asian, or African depending on the skin tone and other features. It's better not to guess, as certain racial groups are at risk for widely different diseases.

Knowing race is a legit medical concern because it does affects ones risk factors and affects the plan of care.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Trying to make sense of a genetic history I can understand. But I had one woman actually freak out over the religion bit.

When I had a case of cellulitus in my right foot, I had been scheduled for a number of appointments over the course of a month to make sure the antibiotics were doing their trick. Each time I had to answer the same questions about insurance, etc. And when it came to religion I simply said no comment, or something similar. This was all done by computer.

Then one morning I had this woman checking me in who gave me an actual piece of paper asking for information about my religious background. I was confused and she said it was because no information had been entered about my religion. It's like...no, because I don't feel it's relevant and I'm not here for anything risky enough to require last rites.

Comment

On the note of disorders linked to specific cultures/nations/regions of the world the one I always think of is Riley–Day, another disorder that tends to be associated with Ashkenazi. A really interesting one in terms of symptoms, the most common ones being an inability to feel pain, lacrimate deficiency (they don't produce tears), and growth problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X