This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any printer people here?

We have a Canon BJC-80 Color Bubble Jet printer (it's portable and tiny and so cute!) and it hasn't been used in years. Probably ever. I know the ink will have dried up by now, but you can get two different cartridges for it- a tank that has just the ink in it, and the cartridge that contains the ink and the bubble jet head. Do I need to get the cartridge with the bubble jet head or would it be okay after all these years of disuse? I don't actually know what one is, so I'm lost here.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

I would get the cartridge as the printer hasn't been used for a long time. But before you do that, I would recommend that you check to see if the printer is even compatible with your operating system because there is a chance it might not be.

Comment

That's a good point. Thanks.

It's not. I looked at the cord and went , it's a long skinny thing that wouldn't fit my itty bitty laptop.
      Last edited by Aragarthiel; 04-11-2015, 02:48 AM.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

When you say "won't fit my tiny laptop", are you referring to the data cord from the printer having a connector roughly 3/8" x 2", with 2 rows of pins? It's been a LONG time since I've seen a parallel printer - everything nowadays is USB only.

With inkjets, there are 2 schools of thought on design. One (HP/Lexmark) has the printhead built into the cartridge, the other (Epson/Canon) uses a "permanent" printhead, with the cartridge being a simple tank. The latter generally has cheaper cartridges, but the former is easier to rehabilitate a printer with a clogged (due to disuse) printhead.

I *LOVE* the warnings in the manuals for HP/Lexmark printers, saying not to refill the cartridge, since doing so could damage the printhead. Do they mean the printhead that, if I weren't refilling the cartrdige, I was going to throw out, since it was permanently attached to an empty ink cartridge? I'll take a chance on damaging it, since there's no downside.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yeah, that cord. The printer itself could actually pass for new, minus the layer of dust and small collection of minor scratches.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
            Yeah, that cord. The printer itself could actually pass for new, minus the layer of dust and small collection of minor scratches.
            There are parallel to USB adapters out there. I advise asking around at *local* computer stores and making sure you can return the adapter if it doesn't work with the laptop.

Comment

I lurked it up... Parallel port, IrDA. Drivers for Windows 3.1, 95, 98 & Me.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Wow, it's really that old? Almost qualifies for antique status at this point.

Comment

Given that you can get a brand-new all-in-one printer/scanner for $30 it probably isn't worth spending money on the old one. Alternatively, if you do enough printing that ink cost is a concern (the reason printers are so cheap is they nail you on the ink) you probably want a better printer anyway.
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

The printer isn't a huge necessity, we just had the old one lying around and thought it would be helpful.

Comment

I remember the BJC-80, had one of em when I did sales and install for point of sales. The portability was nice, but I remember sometimes only getting 30 prints out of a cartridge. We eventually replaced it with a brother laser printer and an AC converter so I could keep it in the car.

Comment

Working...
                      X