This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain this?

OK, I admit my computer and OS are old. I do updates as they come up, generally.

Lately I've been getting "your browser is out of date" messages a lot, along with being urged to update it. When I click on the link they provide, I end up on the Windows site where they instantly tell me that I'm using the latest version of IE. So how can I update my browser if it's already the latest version?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

The website is complaining that your (per)version of IE is too old, Microsoft is saying we ain't downwriting our new IE for the old old OS. Right?

Zoolution is a dooferunt bowser. Fiberfox or Krum or something.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      OK, I admit my computer and OS are old. I do updates as they come up, generally.

Lately I've been getting "your browser is out of date" messages a lot, along with being urged to update it. When I click on the link they provide, I end up on the Windows site where they instantly tell me that I'm using the latest version of IE. So how can I update my browser if it's already the latest version?
      You have the latest version available for your version of Windows. That's not necessarily the latest version.

Go into IE and click on Help. Then click on About. See what version it reports.

Current versions of IE are 8 or higher (I don't use it, and all but one of my systems are running Windows XP).

If you are running anything older than XP, you *can't* upgrade to the latest IE (and you'll have trouble with other programs as well).

And XP is no longer supported, so there will be problems with it eventually.

Best bet is try to find a copy of XP or Win 7 with a valid install key

Comment

Be careful clicking on "Your <software> is out of date." pop-ups. Some of them lead to viruses and other malware.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          Be careful clicking on "Your <software> is out of date." pop-ups. Some of them lead to viruses and other malware.
          Oh yeah, I know. As for other systems, I hate Firefox, I had it for a while before my hard drive was replaced but it was a pain; among other things, when I used it to get into my email, it would open the program but refused to open the individual emails.

I really should just update the whole shebang but it would cost money I don't have.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Try Firefox again, it may have improved since you last had problems.

Comment

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,4838,00.asp is web browser comparisons.

But yeah, software that microsoft provides only gets updated within the OS lifespan and then they abandon everything. Plus most included software is "good enough" but not great tools.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using an older OS... but there can be a lot of "oh that doesn't work anymore" moments for specific functions and services. Individual programs can often be replaced or alternatives found (as long as it's not too "built in" to the OS) but that also takes away the "ease" some people find of having everything intergrated (I personally hate it myself... if it were up to me Windows would be a kernel file & \Drivers\ that load up (no I'm not getting into OS wars...)... everything else would be a \Programs\ directory of a thousand EXEs... maybe a \Services\ directory too. :P)
              Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Working...
              X