X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow... to... load

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm having a hell of a time online these days. Most pages take forever to load. Facebook chat keeps cutting me off, and I have to reload the page to use it. I was trying to send a large file a couple of weeks ago, and my regular email wouldn't do it, so I tried various websites that specialize in such things - and THEY wouldn't send it! Keep in mind, we're not talking about something huge. It was a Word file that was much smaller than many things I've sent in the past.

What the hell is doing this? Is it my connection speed, and if so, why hasn't in been like this the whole time I've been living here? Is it Facebook? I cleared my recent history. Is it some kind of malware?

Windows 10 downloading, perhaps?
    Try Speedtest.net or one of the other tests to see what your speed is. I suppose you know what it should be.

Comment

This has been going on for at least a month now, and I haven't chosen to download Windows 10, so I doubt it's that. According to Speedtest, my download speed is 3.81 Mbps. And Facebook chat has just crashed again.

Comment

Not the connection speed then. Someone else will probably have better advice.

Comment

Packet loss? try a ping test (a long one) and see if you have any dropped packets.

Comment

IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet access

So that's it. Now what?

Comment

So now you need to figure out if its your ISP, your router, your cables, your wifi or your computer. Does it connect if you restart your router? Do other computers on the same router have this problem? If you are on wifi does it go away if you plug into the router with an ethernet cable? If youre plugged into the router does it connect if you try a different port or cable?

If you narrow it down to your router, call your ISP.

Comment

I'm using the connection in the building where I live - the router isn't in my place; my guess is that it's in the apartment below mine, where my landlord's son lives. (My landlord doesn't use the Internet.) I have sent my landlord a text message trying to explain what's up, in the hope that he'll talk to his son about it. But I think this has been going on since before the storm last Monday knocked out the connection for three days.

Comment

Not having IPv6 is fairly normal (so far - it should get more common in future).

What does it say under IPv4?

Comment

IPv4 is connected. I wonder if, rather than the connection itself, the problem now lies with Firefox. I've been having some problems with my use of it at work, too.

Comment

Give this a try, and see if it flags anything: Netalyzr.

Comment

Slow... to... load...
                        Eireann, could you please return my morning (noon & night) brain to me?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Slow... to... load...
                          Eireann, could you please return my morning (noon & night) brain to me?
                          Where did you leave it? If it's anywhere around here, it could take some time.

Comment

I'm afraid it Czeched out.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Okay, here are the results of Netalyzer:
                              Last edited by Eireann; 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X