X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright people focus group time: Munchkin Risk

This requires knowledge of both munchkin and risk
    copy and pasted from word and indenting got screwed up.

Munchkin Risk
    Required Materials
    - Any risk game (full materials)
    - Any munchkin game
    - 2-6 special pieces to signify generals (some risk games may already have these)

Setup
    - Separate the monsters from the dungeon deck giving three decks
    - Decide turn order in any manor
    - Each player draws two cards from the dungeon deck and two cards from the treasure deck
    - Each player may play immediately any items, or race/class/power cards as appropriate
    - Decide on starting locations (3 per player)
    - Place 2 armies on each starting location for that player
    - Each player in turn order places their general on one of the starting locations
    - Decide on a number of turns

Turn Structure
    1. Generate armies
    -----a. Players receive one army for each three territories they control rounded down that they may place on any territory they control
    -----b. Players receive armies equal to any continent bonus if they control a continent
    -----c. Players during this phase only may sell 1000 gold pieces worth of equipment to generate one army
    -----d. If the player’s general has died at this time they may sacrifice 5 armies to resurrect the general in any place they control (after sacrificing)
    2. Players draw a facedown dungeon card to their hand they can play later
    3. Combat Structure
    -----a. Play cards (any appropriate)
    -----b. Declare attack:
    ----------i. Location
    ----------ii. Whether or not general is accompanying
    ----------iii. Number of armies attacking (at least one must remain)
    ----------iv. Which items General is using
    -----c. See combat rules
    -----d. If Player wishes to attack any other area go back to ‘a’
    ----------i. Player may attack multiple territories from same territory
    ----------ii. Player may switch back and forth between which territory is leading the attack
    ----------iii. If the Player has run from a monster (successfully) in a territory, He or She may not attack that territory that turn again (the soldiers are too scared to return and need to build up their courage), However that territory may attack other territories
    -----e. Combat ends

4. Player may now move any number of armies from one spot they control to another as long as they control all territories to another
    5. Turn ends
    -----a. Player discards hand down to 5

Combat Rules
    There are two types of combat in Munchkin Risk both are fairly straightforward.

Attacking an uninhabited Territory
    - Players may attack with no more than 6 armies (including the general)
    - Players can attack a territory without their general but does not get any bonuses from their general aside from one use items

1. Draw a face up card from the monster deck this is the monster this guarding the area
    2. Combat proceeds like regular munchkin combat
    -----a. Players in turn order may play cards or abilities to affect the combat
    ----------i. Cards that would add a monster to the combat will draw another face up card from the monster deck to be the monster added
    -----b. If a player wishes he may request help from any player that controls a territory adjacent to the combat
    ----------i. Players may make deals/bribes just like in munchkin
    ----------ii. Players may only accept help from one other player
    ----------iii. Players can only add the items of their general if the general is directly involved in the battle
    -----c. Once all players have played their cards and abilities the players total all the bonuses and instead of adding the player’s level the player adds the number of armies they brought with them to the combat. If the player(s) total bonuses and armies are larger than the total level of all the monsters the monsters are defeated
    ----------i. If the monster is defeated the player(s) receive the treasures as agreed and instead of receiving levels they receive the equivalent number of armies in the newly conquered territory
    ----------ii. If a player who helped in a combat would receive a level they receive the equivalent number of armies in the territory that helped
    ----------iii. If the monster is remove by a card that skips the combat as long as the player didn’t run then the player conquers the territory
    -----d. If the monster is too powerful or if the player(s) chooses to run, then for each monster each player must:
    ----------i. Roll a six sided die
    ----------ii. If the result is less than 5 then the monster’s bad stuff happens
    --------------- See character death if necessary
    ----------iii. The monster will then eat 5 soldiers but your roll will determine how many you save (a successful escape will save everyone but a failed one will result in the death of some or all of your soldiers)
    ----------iv. The general does not get eaten unless the bad stuff says the character dies

Attacking a section controlled by an opponent
    Attacking or defending without your general
    - Combat goes forth as per regular risk rules except players may use one use items and cards to alter the highest die roll for each player (only the highest die) no racial/class/power/equipment abilities can be played as the general is not present.
    Attacking/Defending with your General
    - The general counts as an army and can die in combat
    - The player will not get the bonuses from the general unless it is one of the attacking armies
    - The combat proceeds as per normal risk rules except the player may apply any bonuses the general possesses to the highest die roll (only the highest die roll)
    - Only abilities that alter the number can be used abilities that target monsters specifically can only target monsters not armies
    - Players can use wandering monster cards to add a monster to their side and combat proceeds following the monster fighting rules used in attacking an uninhabited territory and yes the player that summoned the monster can help in combat if they wish
    - If the General is the last defender of a territory the defending player choose to retreat to an adjacent territory and abandon the territory if possible

Converting Munchkin cards to Munchkin Risk
    - Any card that alters levels instead adds or removes equivalent number of armies, if not from a monster fight then can target any territory and yes can empty a territory

Death
    - If the general dies then the piece is removed from the board and the body is looted
    - Looting the body
    -----o Any player with a territory adjacent to the territory where the general died (or controls the territory itself) may choose (in turn order) one item to keep, the rest are discarded
    - The player keeps his hand and can play equipment but will not receive bonuses without a general

I’ll add more later.
    Last edited by gremcint; 05-23-2012, 03:05 AM.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

One important part that should be involved in any Munchkin-related game: Roll the dice to see who goes first, then argue about what the results mean.

Also: All players start as a level one human with no class.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
      Also: All players start as a level one human with no class.
      So all the players start as SC's??
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Seems interesting. Munchkin Quest would be perfect for this since it has plastic figures and tokens representing both monsters and Munchkins. I would point out that this would take an EXTREMELY long time to play. The average Munchkin game goes for an hour or more, and the average Munchkin Quest (introduces a board) goes 3+ hours. Likewise Risk takes about 2 hours or more to play. So I could see this game taking 3 to 4 hours or more.

With Munchkin Quest you could also add that Monsters that are not defeated remain in the Territory that spawned them.
        Last edited by Chanlin; 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Some risk variants put a turn limit on the game and I think that would be appropriate here.

Comment

Ok so I had gone through and combined the rules for risk and munchkin and put it into a word document and had posted it both here and the steve jackson forums to get some feedback. Well I got a response alright, sj requested (well more told me) to take it down due to intellectual property violations. I've been temporarily banned until they confirm the removal.

I have deleted the post here and taken down the file, they are completely 100% in the right please don't react to them. I am posting this to explain why I'm not posting full rules. I don't think there's a problem with the op here they had issues with me copy and pasting the rules for the games.

So if people still want to discuss the idea sure but I will not be putting up a full rulebook.

Comment

Does not surprise me in the least.

I'm all for making house variants of games. SJ just doesn't want you selling it, or anyone else selling it for that matter.

Comment

I wasn't planning on selling it but yeah this is a case where I should have thought more.

Comment

Working...
                X