This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using the wrong e-mail address

*Just something I felt like sharing confused as to how this keeps happening because I've had this particular Hotmail address for over 10 years*

Recently, an "Angela Brown" (who apparently lives somewhere in the UK) has bought things from Amazon UK (and another UK-based website), and registered for both using my Hotmail address. I have no way of knowing if it was a typo, or some kind of glitch in Hotmail's system, but this isn't the first time I've had this happen with that address, and it's always someone in the UK area.

Usually you can report it to the site, a lot of sites will send an activation email that says something like "If you didn't ask for this email, please click here."
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Sometimes that has worked, but just to give a few examples of where I have/saw a problem:

- with Amazon.co.uk, I can unsubscribe my e-mail from their marketing lists, but I can't opt out of "transactional" emails. (So if "Angela" places more orders, those emails still go to me and not her)

- a few years back, some woman registered for broadband service, and I received the email with all of her account info/details. (Although the weird thing was, her current email was listed as something completely different from mine)

Comment

thought: Try emailing customer services and giving what details you have. They should have phone numbers etc and be able to put a flag on her account. Email address: resolution-uk@amazon.co.uk

Also google the name and the start of your email and see what you can find. Might find her other email address that is probably near yours and send her an email saying you are getting her emails.
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I did try that with Amazon and the other site yesterday.....haven't received a response yet, but hopefully they'll be able to get it sorted out on their ends.

Meanwhile, I just find it odd that this mainly seems to happen with women in the UK area, and it's been several different names over the years. (I've had this address since the late 1990s)

Comment

A year or so back, I started getting Facebook notices at my hotmail account. Seems some teenager n Guatemala had somehow managed to start an FB account using my email address. My attempts to get Facebook to do something about it wee treated as her having trouble accessing the account (IE the FB reps didn't actually *read* what I wrote them)

A friend pointed out that *anyone* could do a "change password" request on an FB account. So she did so, and I got the email with the link to click.

I changed the password, then posted a notice asking for her to contact me about getting the *right* email address (i posted it in English and Spanish). I also asked her friends (many of whom were apparently family) to get hold of her about it.

After two weeks with no contact (and her friends going "what kind of joke is this) I nuked everything, and changed the info to mine. I don't use the account, but I keep it to prevent her (or some other idiot) from using my address again.

Anyway, I bet you can do the password thing at Amazon just like I did. Change the password, reply to the confirmation email that'll get sent to your address. And then she *can't* use your email anymore.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
              I did try that with Amazon and the other site yesterday.....haven't received a response yet, but hopefully they'll be able to get it sorted out on their ends.

Meanwhile, I just find it odd that this mainly seems to happen with women in the UK area, and it's been several different names over the years. (I've had this address since the late 1990s)
              I suspect that they have an address that's xxx@hotmail.uk (or is it hotmail.com.uk?) and they *think* it's hotmail.com.

So they enter xxx@hotmail.com (your address) instead of xxx@hotmail.uk

And that results in you getting it rather than them.

Comment

Working...
              X