Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of car did you learn to drive in?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To drive, I learned in my dad's '83 Chevy Chevette

To drive a manual, I learned in my then boyfriend dickhead's Toyota pickup and his best friend's F150.

Comment

When I did driving school, there were a couple different cars I learned to drive in. Can't remember which kind but they were all average, mid-sized cars. Did most of my permit driving in my mom's Chevy Lumina.

Now I drive my 2000 Z24 Cavalier. Nice and small, light weight, but only about 160-165 horsepower. Very easy to parallel park in.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Learned automatic in my Dad's '93 Volvo... some sort of sedan, I forget exactly the number. Later bought it from Dad for a few bucks, and it kept me safe for many years. Then Dad wanted it back 'cause he was being stationed overseas and had heard bad stories of the local drivers, so we traded cars and I ended up with a 2001... or is it 2003?... Volvo S80. That's my current ride.

In between, Dad taught me how to drive a manual on his pick-up. I think it was a Toyota. My mother-in-law let me practice in her Subaru, so now I am proficient with both the manual and the automatic. Happy!

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
          *slightly off topic, but my driving instructor was the only guy named Vito I EVER knew when I was in NJ.
          I actually know a guy named Vito. Friend of a family friend...
          (don't think I'd want him teaching anybody how to drive, though...)

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          powered by a sick gerbil and a hamster with shin splints.
          Thanks! I needed a good laugh.

Quoth me :-)
          That was murdered in '02 and I got my brand-new Hyundai Elantra with the insurance money
          Skimming back through the thread, I realized this kind of makes it sound as if I put a hit out on my car...

-----
          I should have thought of this when I first posted the thread - did you learn at school, or did you have to go through a driving training school?

My high school did not have actual driving in driver's ed. Driver's ed was the 10th grade health class (or in place of it) but all we did was the rules of the road, the horrifying videos, and took the written test. I was 15 when I took the written test, but didn't actually get behind the wheel of a car until a year and a half later when I was 17. I had to take lessons from a driving school (my instructor happened to be the father of a kid I went to middle school with; we practiced parallel parking between cones in front of his house ).
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My Dad taught me. My school had driver's ed, but it was during the summer, and it conflicted with the ACT prep course. I already knew how to drive, so I went with the course that would help me get a scholarship.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I learned through the school,who had an instructor through a company. It was a graduation requirement to take the classroom portion. I chose to take the driving portion through school also because it was cheaper and I could only miss classes I was doing well in.
              "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

I'm a GM man, and part of the reason is that I learned to drive in GMs.

When I took Driver's Ed in high school, I learned to drive on a GM... an Oldsmobile, I think.

It was a few years before I could actually get a car, so when I needed a few refresher lessons, I think the driving school came out in a GM as well.

The first car I drove on a regular basis was my mom's old Chevy Malibu... it was one of the ones from the early to mid-'80s.

Then I bought a Chevy Cavalier that I'm still driving 9 years later! Those things run practically forever!
                "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                --StanFlouride

Comment

Drivers ed instructor had a '99 Skylark, so that was the first car I drove. Then I spent some time in my parents '98 Forester, before I bought my first car - a '95 Eagle Summit.
                  man...nature...technology
                  mensch...natur...technik

Comment

Driver's ed car - red '85 Sunbird 4-door.

First car was a '77 Chevy Van, shortbox, 305 V8. It's steering column had been replaced with a used one from a '74 van that had about 1/2" of play, and the brake master cylinder only half-worked - I had front and only partial rear brakes. Talk about an adventure to drive!

Thankfully, 3 months into driving it, it was replaced with an '83 Chevy Cavalier station wagon, which I drove to death. Old van was sold for parts.

Comment

I learned to drive in an '86 Accord owned by the driving school. The first car I owned was also an '86 Accord (my dad bought it for me in '98.)

I now own a white Mustang convertible. And I think that's not a good car for a kid to be learning in. There's too much power for someone just starting out.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        I actually know a guy named Vito. Friend of a family friend...
                        (don't think I'd want him teaching anybody how to drive, though...)
                        Does he encourage people to drive on the GSP by having the driver look on the window with a foot on the gas while he holds the steering wheel?

I forgot to add that I also practiced in the Jerseymobile, aka a Dodge Intrepid.

I hate that car. It's like driving a loveseat.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                          Does he encourage people to drive on the GSP by having the driver look on the window with a foot on the gas while he holds the steering wheel?
                          Not that I'm aware of, but his drug habit would make him unsuitable as a teacher of driving...
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Response to the OP: If the 'stang is a V6, then he/she should be OK.

Car I first learned in: '79 Cadillac Coupe Deville. We drove it to the junkyard when it started to become a rolling repair bill.

Car I got my license in: '95 Mercury Sable. My dad uses it as his work beater.

Car I current drive: '98 Mercury Sable.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              Not that I'm aware of, but his drug habit would make him unsuitable as a teacher of driving...
                              Eek.

I think people who learned to drive in NJ and Manhattan are unsuitable driving instructors.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                                Eek.

I think people who learned to drive in NJ and Manhattan are unsuitable driving instructors.
                                Let's add in DC, Virginia, Florida, the Carolinas.... Hell, just make it ANYWHERE South of MD.... while we're at it!
                                Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 06-01-2009, 06:01 AM. Reason: Accidentally quoted the wrong post, had to fix. :o
                                "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                                --StanFlouride

Comment

Working...
                                X