This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good thing I stayed up, then O.o

My wife is in the process of getting her health problems figured out--she's pretty sure she's got MS, and everyone else thinks it probably is that, too, but they don't know for sure yet. She's got an MRI coming up soon.

Anyway. She went to bed at 4-something, and I accidentally stayed up until she woke up again at 7-something. Oops.

Only that turned out to be a good thing, because she's usually got heat intolerance, and over-heats really badly... This time, she said she couldn't feel cold really at all. Like an ice pack did nothing, dunking her head did nothing, she had to stand RIGHT in front of the air conditioner to feel anything, and that's with her shirt off and all...

Took her temperature on a hunch and it was 95.4. ((Her normal temperature is 96.something.))

And in less than 5 minutes, it went down to 94.3.

So Mishi actually ended up helping ((thank you! )) and said it was hypothermia, so despite it sounding really weird, bundled her up in blankets and a jacket and gave her hot cocoa, and now it's back up to 97.4. Which is much better.

And apparently, that can actually be related to MS, because you know, fuck you, I guess.

Cannot WAIT until they figure out what it is and get her proper help because yikes!
    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
    Amayis is my wifey

Holy crap that's scary!

She's lucky you were wide awake. Who knows what would have happened if you had been asleep.

I'm glad Mishi was there to help and that you guys managed to get her temperature back up to a more normal level.
    my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
    it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

I'm glad that it was just hypothermia! (I was worried that it was something much worse, and so bugged them to go to a doctor) Hope she's feeling much better now, best to note this latest symptom so that everything is nice and clear for the doctor when she next sees one.
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Yeah, that was scary.

Does not help that when we woke up this evening, she was hypothermic again. This time, her temperature only went down to 94.7. And she's got an interesting point about whether or not this has been happening all along when she wakes up, but she just didn't know it. I have no idea. I'm just glad that at least for now, making her something warm to drink and covering her up in ALL the blankets gets her temperature back up, and then it seems happy to stay there. For now, at least. But I really can't wait for that fucking MRI.
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

May I urge her to always carry a cell phone even from bed to bathroom in the middle of the night, and for you to always always leave your ringer as loud as it can go - think of it as a ghetto help i have fallen button.

There is nothing quite as scary as yelling for someone and them being so sound asleep they can't hear you [Rob sleeps like the dead, comes from spending 20 years in the Navy, there is no privacy or quiet on a submarine!]

MS can leave one unsteady, or having a sudden shift in overall health like the hypothermia issue where you might need help suddenly and not be near someone or able to attract their attention. Or you might need to call for an ambulance and not be able to get to a phone.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

...Since this is about me anyways :P

So yeah. Given the actually feel of hypothermia ((I don't understand XP I mean,not feeling cold when your body drops, feeling cold when it warms up. Yeah. Idk)) I don't really know if it has been going on and I just didn't notice.

But since it requires damage to the hypothalamus ((The center of your brain that helps regulate heat and such, IIRC)) to become hypothermic from just being in a normal room that would be awesome for someone my age :P It should show up on the MRI, so there's that.

Considering everything going on, it's probably safe to say that there are lesions ._. *kicks them* But hey, if there are, it should show up. So there's that.

...And then I'll do a happy dance, lose my balance, fall, and wind up in the hospital because fall risk.

And yes. I lose my balance sitting sometimes XP So well aware. Never thought about that, though. Usually don't go to the bathroom at night, but any other time, my phone is right beside me.

There's also 2 emergency pull cords. One in the bathroom, one in the bedroom. Perk of living in a place for disabled and elderly, I suppose :P

I'll try and remember to bring it with me even more often, though :3

Comment

Hypothermia can be dangerous. Our theromoregulatory system is controlled by the hypothalmus, an gland in the brain.

MS sometimes results in a change in body temperature when the body has been over heated. If there was no overheating, there may be another issue.

Have you discussed this with your physician? He should know about these episodes.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah, bringing her cell phone along is a good idea. Granted, she doesn't usually get up much at night...I don't think. And usually, if she calls out, I hear her. The only times I don't are when I'm passed out exhausted, which has been happening the past several days because I'm so worried, I can't sleep.

I'm poking her to tell the doctor tomorrow about her hypothermic episodes. She seems to be okay today at least, which is awesome. It was scarier yesterday or so because her temperature was 96, but then went down to 95.6 ((I think?)) even while wrapped up in three blankets. So that wasn't very good.

But yeah. Since it did go back up in a little bit, just made her stay all bundled up for a while. Which she hates, because of how she's used to over-heating. That's the annoying thing, it's like the world's worst tightrope act between "will she be hypothermic or over-heating" all the time.

And yes, Amayis, at least if there are lesions, they should show up on the MRI and no doing happy dances in the hospital.
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

My normal body temp is 94.6-.8 [drove me insane until I managed to get all my medical records to actually note this. Nothing like registering 99 on a thermometer and being dismissed because your temp isn't high enough to worry about yet.]

When I hit menopause [artificially] I started getting screwy results. I can be freezing my butt off and want to wrap up, except I am simultaneously throwing a hot flash and am sweating. *sigh*
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Omg, Rhay has that problem. Her natural temperature is around 96.3. So when her temperature is 98.6-99 or whatever, that's not a good thing, and nobody gets that, because they're like "Oh, your temperature is normal!"

The only reason I keep freaking now about it being 96.-something is because of worrying about hypothermia. >.<

Also, that absolutely blows.
                    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I get so aggravated when people say "Oh, your temp is 98.6, that's perfectly normal!" When my normal is 96.3.

By the time it gets to 99 or 100, I'm freaking because much higher and I'll need to go to the hospital. But no one seems to understand that.

And yeah, I'm aware of the hypothalamus and all that. I'm wondering if I've just been running a fever and thus body going haywire or if MS has decided that it would be a good idea to mess with that too :P I don't know, but when they finally get my MRI scheduled and I get to go to that, maybe it'll show something.

...Granted, knowing my luck, it won't, but :P Hey, here's to hoping that it shows something but it's not horribly bad and "Oh god why didn't you get this checked out 7 years ago."

((Which I tried. But apparently 15 year olds are liars. At least, according to the doctor I had.))

So, yeah.

It is really nerve wracking, Eisa. The whole "My body temp is normally this and just the slightest body fluctuation will make the difference between being fine and slipping into hypothermia."

Fun times :P

Comment

Yeah, I'm another one who barely gets above 95 so when I went to the doctor and had a 'normal' temprature they wouldn't believe that was anything to worry about. Awesome fun!

Hope you get this sorted asap Eisa!
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I hope to get it figured out too because it's getting to a point of ridiculousness and scariness.

I still haven't heard anything about an MRI, but hopefully soon. Well, other than the prerequisite questions to make sure nothing will interfere. Nothing about an actual appointment though.

Temp has been staying normalish, though so there's that :P

Comment

Working...
                          X