This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental hygenist is a total idiot

I cut and pasted (and edited for anonymity) this post my sister made on Facebook this evening. We're just flabbergasted that anybody could be so rude and unfeeling. My sister has already posted on Yelp and contacted Kool Smiles through their website and Facebook page, so we'll see what happens.

"So most people who know me and know me well will get this. My 10 year old daughter was complaining of a tooth hurting so we made an appointment for her to go to the dentist at the Kool Smiles in <town>. Raise your hand if you like going to the dentist? No? well either does she. She went back fine with the assistant and we (her parents) were called to the back room. On one side of her mouth she needs two baby root canals and two caps. The assistant says very rudely, "She was bad. We just took an X-ray and it was too hard! She doesn't listen and carries on way to much for her age." What?, I said. "she needs to start acting her age! I don't think the dentist will touch her, because she won't sit still", said the assistant. Well by this time I say ok (muttering bitch under my breath). I explained to the assistant that my daughter has several special needs - ADHD, Bipolar Disorder and a Developmental Delay. She replied, "I have to believe you because that's what you say." WTF! No, that's what at least 10 doctors and handful of therapist say. She still says " I can't see anything wrong with her." She tells me they are referring her to University of <state>. I ask how long will that take? She says, "I have no idea, just call and make the appointment - give her some tylenol for the pain until you get in." I wait patiently for her referral, X ray and whatever else. The assistant then says 'Don't bring her back here!"

I had so many things I wanted to say but all I could say is sorry she doesn't have a disability you can see. No, she doesn't have Down syndrome or CP or is in a wheelchair and sorry you can't see her disability but none the less she does have one. The assistant said "It's not written down." Well, I turn the next page of her chart and guess what? there they are... Listed.

You don't need to worry about either of my children going to ANY Kool Smiles anymore. I want my children to feel accepted wherever they go. You talk about being at a low point as a parent. Powerless to say anything calmly, powerless for people just to treat people kindly, for people to have understanding, for people to see WE try real hard to teach our kids to listen and understand but this is what GOD gave us to work with. I don't think my daughter caught ALL of it but she did catch she was BAD. Well thank you dentist assistant for adding that to my day with a child with a tooth ache. You should NEVER work with a child again, and Kool Smiles should not advertise that they work with children with Special Needs."
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

That was EXTERMELY unprofessional, did you have a word with the actual dentist or was the only person you spoke to the assistant?
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Comment

What?? Unbelieveable. I am just aghast.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I... I have no words.... Aside from that someone needs to really put that bitch in her place.
        Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Your sister should have a word with the dentist or the director of the company. That was beyond unprofessional of the dental assistant.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I can't believe she just left lol.

She should have raised hell right then and there. Dont let that slimy butch get away with that. I really hope she's fired and has a huge black mark on her record

Comment

Ohhhh hell naw...i'da raised some serious cain...

Comment

Wow, that is all kinds of fail right there!

Comment

There has to be a way to report this to the dental authorities.
                  ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

You know, if the child did not actually have disabilities and was just a total brat, I'm pretty sure the hygenist was still out of line. Kids get scared. If you don't like working with scared children, you shouldn't be in a dentist's office.
                    Women can do anything men can.
                    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                    Maxine

Comment

I don't know why they didn't say anything at the time. I think my sister was afraid she'd come unglued. She did contact the company through the website and their Facebook page.

Sparky, you're absolutely right! Even a neurotypical ten year old might have trouble sitting still at the dentist. The hygenist should have come to get them if she was having problems.
                      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Working...
                      X