Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pharmacist lady, I think I love you. Old SC, I hope you catch my dysenteric cooties.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it makes you feel any better about contracting a 19th century disease, I'll admit to having repeated problems with scarlet fever. Who gets that anymore???

Anyway, I'm glad the pharmacist took care of you and hope you feel better soon.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post
      (This is bad, because not only was I in severe pain, but another thing about dysentery is that it's considered a bad idea to give anti-sickness meds... which meant every second was a ticking time bomb to gastric hell
      Better out than in. Really.

Quoth Shalom View Post
      What if you said:

"Lady, I am suffering from shigellosis, and if you don't STFU and let me get my medicine in an expeditious timeframe . . .
      She's old enough to remember dysentery . . . I'd have told her that and watched her backpedal with amusement.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        Better out than in. Really.
        Indeed, hence the "no anti sickness meds".... but it's a lot easier to get on board with that when you aren't having to wait around in a public place with no idea when the worst might happen I had visions of being told of here on the forums by one of the pharmacists
        "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

Comment

If the pharmacist and staff were reasonable and sensible people, they wouldn't have minded.

Well, okay. It sucks to have known-dysenteric biohazard in your pharmacy. But it's totally out of the patient's control, and they'd know that. So sort of 'mind in a not-minding way' or something weird like that. I think you know what I'm trying to say.

As for old diseases "coming back" ... <puts on an incredibly fake Southern accent> Honey-chile, they never left.

Those of us in the 'first world' and the wealthier of the 'developing countries' rarely see them because our medical teams stomp all over every incidence of them with extreme rapidity. As happened in your case.

This prevents them from becoming epidemic (much less pandemic). Most of the time, there are just single, isolated cases who are kept quarantined (or near-quarantined) until the episode passes.

When the patients are like you and cooperate with the quarantine as much as possible, all goes smoothly, and noone outside the medical community and the person's friends and family ever hears of the case.

Yes, we've managed to eliminate smallpox, and mostly prevent polio. Tuberculosis is becoming resistant to our efforts to keep it contained. Cholera is waiting around for disasters that interfere with the water supply, as is (you guessed it) dysentery.

Marlowe:
          On behalf of your local medics and local community, thank you very much for being a cooperative and sensible patient during your highly-contagious illness.
          Last edited by Seshat; 07-09-2013, 06:53 PM.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            Marlowe:
            On behalf of your local medics and local community, thank you very much for being a cooperative and sensible patient during your highly-contagious illness.
            I tried my best. I know that because dysentery is so unusual here there won't be much immunity, and I did pre-med before I became an artist, so I know the drill.

Hell, I wouldn't have even gone there if my housemate wasn't such a lazy waste of space. As it was, whenever I had to go somewhere - ie if I ran out of my big 2L water bottles - I washed my hands thoroughly, didn't touch anything I didn't buy, and carried a tube of alcohol gel to offer to any cashiers who had to serve me.

If only more people took responsibility for their actions as a potential biohazard, maybe some of the pathogenic nasties wouldn't spread as fast or as far as they do.
            "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
              Trying very hard not to make an Oregon Trail joke... Get well soon!

We also need more people like AC. Good for him for standing up for you.
              Hehehe...I thought of this game instantly! Hmm..I need to see if it's playable anywhere...

Marlowe I hope that you feel better soon!
              Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
                Hehehe...I thought of this game instantly! Hmm..I need to see if it's playable anywhere...

Marlowe I hope that you feel better soon!
                There's a guy on YouTube who does playthroughs of the nancy drew series. He did a playthrough of Oregon trail, so chances are that it IS playable somewhere.
                (He named the female character nancy drew.)
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Oregon Trail is available as an app from Amazon. I have it for my Kindle Fire. It is remarkable more difficult now than it was when I was younger.

Comment

Don't feel bad about getting diseases that people don't really think "modern" people get. During college I had a nasty row with scurvy. (Yeah. I got scurvy. Yar-har.)
                    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                      Don't feel bad about getting diseases that people don't really think "modern" people get. During college I had a nasty row with scurvy. (Yeah. I got scurvy. Yar-har.)

Hahahaha a guy at my college got that. He's become a cautionary tale for all incoming students ("hey guys, remember how you always swore when you were a kid never to eat vegetables again the second you left home? THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T DO THAT.")

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                        Doctor: Your cultures come back, you have a severe case of Shigella (bacteria that causes dysentery)
                        It's also referred to as "Marlow Syndrome"....
                        Quoth Shalom View Post
                        What if you said:

"Lady, I am suffering from shigellosis, and if you don't STFU and let me get my medicine in an expeditious timeframe . . .

I WILL TOUCH YOU !!!"

See how fast she gets out of your way.

(No, it's not my idea. Ken Kesey thought it up. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, chapter 26.)
                        I was going to suggest the same thing.

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        If it makes you feel any better about contracting a 19th century disease, I'll admit to having repeated problems with scarlet fever. Who gets that anymore???

Anyway, I'm glad the pharmacist took care of you and hope you feel better soon.
                        Well, we have plague here. Yes, I do mean the Black Death, i.e. bubonic plague. Usually at least one human case a year. We haven't had one yet this year, but we have had 2 animal cases. That's probably been the only marginally good thing about it being drier-than-bone-dry here the last 3 years.

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                        If only more people took responsibility for their actions as a potential biohazard, maybe some of the pathogenic nasties wouldn't spread as fast or as far as they do.
                        I did when I had an outbreak of shingles on my face (I swear I needed a "Phantom of the Opera" mask) because I did run into some people that hadn't had chicken pox or the vaccine.

Pharmacy that I used to work at, one evening, a lady gave me a script. After I had been handling it and writing on it, she turns to her friend and says, "I hope this helps with the fungus on my hands"! Thanks for the warning!
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          It's also referred to as "Marlow Syndrome"....

Haha I know I found that out afterwards.... guess I was just asking for trouble huh

Comment

Working...
                          X