This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Dentist and Fines

I had a horrible experience with a dentist.

We noted on the medical form that we have Dissociative identity Disorder and anxiety. The former of which makes things like this very difficult. For those that don't know, DID is a coping mechanism and response to trauma in childhood in which a child goes into a state of dissociation to the point of their mind "splitting" into another personality to deal with the trauma.

I thought the entire experience would be fine. We don't have a dental phobia.

Well, fast forward to yesterday. We were there by ourselves. We wound up going into a major anxiety attack, crying, and then dissociating heavily. The entire experience was beyond traumatic.

Long story short, we don't want to go back to get the other 2 teeth pulled. Especially since they're not hurting us right now.

The only problem is - Breaking an appointment for those who have medicaid results in a 150 dollar fine. I don't know the entirety of it, it was really confusing and I can't remember the wording of it, but that's the gist of it.

If push comes to shove, I'll pay the fine. But it really feels like a slap to the face on top of everything that happened.

I also want to file a medical complaint because of his very unprofessional-ism. We told him to stop, but he wouldn't, even as we sobbed it out. After a bit, another alter switched out that is less triggered by these sorts of thing.

It still wound up being traumatic, though. The pain was bearable, but combined with everything else, it wasn't. He went to stick us again, because of the pain, but that only caused the other alter to freak out greatly.

He took offense to that, because he called him dude.

Either way, my question about it all is if you guys know of any route to take to get out of the fine. If I wind up having to pay it, that's one thing, but it really is a slap to the face.

I'll be talking to my case manager about this too.

The other is for later reference of a doctor or dentist that doesn't suck. One that is understanding of mental disorders and dental phobias. I really don't know that I'll be willing to go to one anytime soon, considering, especially without being able to be put under for it... But it'll be nice to have the reference.

I live in Southwest Virginia. The Medicaid plan is INTotal Health.

Thank you guys in advance.

PM me as to where in SW VA you live exactly? I used to live in Roanoke and I have family in the Martinsville area. I might be able to get you some names of a doc or dentist. Can't guarantee anything on mental disorders or phobias since that's not a thing in my family, but I can at least get you the names to check out.

And sorry about the rest of it. Sounds like it sucked
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Thank you

Comment

Well, you know I haven't a clue, but lots of hugs!

And no, definitely do not go back. I've had some pretty shit dental experiences before, but I can't say I've ever had one that awful.
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

So, I talked to my Case Worker, and she called and figured it out.

I don't have to pay the fine. It's just that they are really strict about keeping appointments.

If you reschedule, and then don't go in, and miss your appointment, it's a 150 dollar fine for paperwork, etc.

Just -cancelling- it doesn't result in a fine, but means that you can't go back.

And you know what? I am fine with that, considering...

Either way, all figured out

Comment

So glad that you don't have to go back to that dentist and I really hope that you find a decent one soon.
            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Still so, so happy you never have to go back.

I still can't believe he wanted to schedule your next extractions for Friday. Yes, healing time should be 2 days between visits, that will never go wrong. It's not at all like you can't even open your mouth more than an inch or two...oh wait.
              "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
              "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
              Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I don't know if you did or not since you didn't mention it, but it might be a good idea to ask the next dentist if he knows what DID is? That way you can tell if he actually read the questionnaire, and if he did and doesn't know, you can have a discussion about it before anything dental happens? I'm sure you probably have already thought of that though.

I had to go to a dentist other than my normal for a "deep clean" (de-scaling I think the term is?) and I didn't realize I had the right to tell him to explain what he was going to do before doing so until after my appointment with him. It made the follow up much smoother.

Good luck finding another dentist! Those can be hard to find. You've probably already thought of this too - but if not, maybe your Case Worker might have some resources for finding you one?

Comment

Working...
                X