Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knuckle sandwich, anyone? (warning: gory)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
    j... cut proof pair of gloves...
    Better yet, one of those full coverage shark suits. Anybody make titanium chain-mail?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I also have minitampons on my desk, because I get a bloody nose sometimes. Stuff a tampon up there, wait till the bleeding stops. All done.
      That's quite a mental image I have now. Although to be honest, I've found that my fav tampons are actually cheaper in the mini-travel versions vs the full-sized applicator version.

and seraph: i'm glad you're doing better and that your mother could help you take care of it.
      hope you heal soon.

btw... super glue. O.o I make that face cos my BF has done that on occasion I think. =/ (although the med kit in his car usually has better stuff than that in it). also i know there's a medical version you can use - forgot what it's called but i bought it once cos medical wouldn't do shit for a small laceration on the inside of my elbow (could have used a stitch or two but it was after hours so no one wanted to do it). ended up with a small scar. and that glue shit burned like a mofo and didn't do much good afaik

Comment

yeaaah....typically I use super glue on my heels.... They split *constantly*, so I'm always like WHERE IS THE SUPER GLUE YO.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

As far as "emergency wounds" go, there is a liquid bandage out there that sorta works like superglue (to an extent). You basically apply it over the wound.

Re the tampons and blood nose thing: I always found that for a blood nose that WASN'T caused by injury (most of mine were based from heat, stress or sinus issues), the trick for me was to lean FORWARD and to take big, deep, slow breaths. Always seemed to work for me.

I also learned in Brownies/Guides how to stop a nosebleed.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            And if you don't have a wound kit, do tell emergency you have tampons/wrapped pads you can use. They may well tell you to go ahead and use it. It's unlikely to stick to the wound, it will absorb blood, and it's a hell of a lot safer than some random object - or a hand. (no direct blood-to-first-aider's-skin contact)
            This, a thousand times this. Even a merely clean and wrapped but not medically sterile pad is much cleaner than grabbing someone's t-shirt or a wad of paper towels to staunch the bleeding. Since they're made to be against the body in a very delicate place they're non irritating, and of course soak up blood very well. Only downside is with a truly serious cut this makes estimating blood loss a little tougher, but it's still better to stop it in the cleanest way you can than worry about this.
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
              Hm, sounds like I need to start restocking feminine products again...because lord knows I get bloody noses a lot, and I tend to get "bleedy" cuts. ><
              For the 'bleedy cuts', tell your pharmacist or pharmacy tech what the cuts tend to be like. (How large the largest are, how small the smallest, what the average size is.)
              Go with them to the wound dressing section of the first aid products.

You really are better off with the gauzes and padding and tape they provide than with a pad. It's just that a pad is better than some random cloth.

As for the superglue, medical-grade "superglue" is sold here, both as 'spray bandaid' and in a form available to medical personnel to take the place of stitches where it's appropriate.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

As for the superglue, medical-grade "superglue" is sold here, both as 'spray bandaid' and in a form available to medical personnel to take the place of stitches where it's appropriate.
                Yep, that's the stuff I'm thinking of. I think Band-Aid do some.

On a side-note, steri-strips over an Implanon wound are a bitch to get off.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                  The cellucotton used in sanitary napkins was invented in WWII for bandages.
                  Quoth Halo_miles View Post
                  That is actually partially based in fact. Before Kotex became a pad supplier, they manufactured dressings for soldiers during wartime.
                  That's what I heard a LONG time ago. Another part of the story is that, when the war ended (and cut back on the need for military wound dressings), someone from the army tried to help their supplier find an alternate market by telling the manufacturer that the wound dressings were a "high pilferage" item, with army nurses taking them to use as sanitary pads (so they didn't have to deal with the hassle of the at-the-time only option of washable and reusable pads).
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                    Seraph, seriously, have you thought about super glue?

Handyman friend of mine, years back, sliced himself up at least weekly. Always used superglue on anything that a butterfly bandage wouldn't close, only got stitches if the slice was longer than his hand and deeper than his thumbnail.
                    No, please no. Please don't use anything but medical superglue. Commercial glue has toxins in it.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      No, please no. Please don't use anything but medical superglue. Commercial glue has toxins in it.
                      Um....Oops.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                        Um....Oops.
                        You know Seraph... maybe you should be wearing the cut proof gloves all the time. Just to be safe.
                        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                          You know Seraph... maybe you should be wearing the cut proof gloves all the time. Just to be safe.
                          Fire would happen. Somehow.

So anyways, last night for the first time, I ended up leaving my knuckle without a bandaid or anything...just to see how everything would go. This morning...it honestly looks good, for once. Its still kinda swollen and man, is it bruised. Seriously, half my finger is still yellowish, lol. But either way, I can bend it now, and have a fairly good range of movement with it. Still hurts when I try to full bend it...and yes I can hear the WELL NO DUH from here.

Either way, looks like I'm out of the woods for infections and whatnot, and the fact that I can move it makes me grateful that there wasn't any significant tendon damage.

Eff yeah, lol.

Comment

YAY! Good news!
                            The colour changes of bruises... I think you should make a similar colour scheme called "Knuckle Sandwich" to commemorate this incident.
                            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                            X