This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Card- is all lost?

While on vacation, I got a card error twice with the same memory card. The first time it happened, it was just parade pics, so I formatted the card.

It seemed to work OK, but I wasn't really using it a lot.
    I had 2 cameras with me. One was my brand new one, and the other was my old one.
    The new one has a rechargeable battery, so when it died, I used my old camera as backup. I had the problem card in my old camera.

Then, a few days later, the card in my new camera, which was a much smaller capacity, filled up, so I moved the formatted SD card over to my new camera.
    It seemed to work fine, but then, on a day where I had taken a ton of pics that I really wanted, I got a card error again.

I really suspect the card is corrupted and I will never get the pictures back, so I could just cry.
    I had all my Mardi Gras pics, as well as our visit to the Villalobos animal rescue center, and a rum distillery.

I downloaded a program called "EaseUs" and while it was scanning, it was showing the progress saying 91 files had been found, but then it completed, and it showed an empty file.

Any other suggestions?
    Is my card screwed?
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

I've used the free program at Zero Assumption Recovery with good results. Keep in mind that there may still be some corruption.

I've also had some luck with a Linux machine being able to read stuff that Windows can't, if you have that option.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Thank you.

I don't know if there is anyone near me using a Linux.

Comment

In the meantime, don't use the corrupted card(s) -- don't even have them plugged in to anything, and, of course, recover the files to a folder on a separate hard drive. There are other progs out there, too, like Recuva and some others.

This may help, too -- might as well try everything you can. http://www.computerworld.com/article...-and-more.html (see if the paid programs have free trials)

As for progs to get them open, between Photoshop (if you have it) or TheGIMP (which is freeware and quite good), you should be able to open most any usable image format.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I already bought new cards and I will get rid of this one if I am able to get the files off.

Comment

SUCCESS!!!

I am so happy. Thank you so much Dreamstalker.
            The ZAR worked like a charm. It even found the parade pices I lost on the first card error when I formatted.
            (Found about 3,000 previously depleted pics of my 2 granddaughters too. LOL

Comment

Woohoo! Awesome!
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

glad to hear it all works memory cards, especially cheap ones, can be a real pain.

Couple of points of advice:

1. Format regularly. Similar to a blackboard/chalkboard, simply deleting/rubbing out still leaves traces of the photos (as you found out) and over time these can add up and cause corruption. Formatting sets the card up as a clean slate.

2. Similar to above, don't use the same card in multiple cameras without formatting in each camera itself, due to each camera being slightly different in operation.

Data recovery software's a good thing to keep around to help in situations like these.

Comment

For anyone using Linux, for which ZAR doesn't exist, I recommend photorec.

Comment

Working...
                  X